Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,064 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Update: Lesotho's Public Service Minister Says He Is Acting PM After Coup - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Update: Lesotho's Public Service Minister Says He Is Acting PM After Coup (491 Views)

Criminal Breach Of Public Service Rule In NCAT Zaria / Public Service Announcement / How Do I Check Personal Message (PM) On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Update: Lesotho's Public Service Minister Says He Is Acting PM After Coup by ejlee(m): 11:12am On Sep 01, 2014
Lesotho's minister of public service, Motloheloa Phooko, told AFP on Monday (Sep 1) that he was the country's acting prime minister, after the elected premier fled the country amid an apparent coup.

In Addition...
* the minister told AFP on Monday (Sep 1) that he was the country's acting prime minister, after the elected premier fled the country amid an apparent coup.
"I am acting prime minister," the minister said from Maseru, citing "cabinet protocol" for his appointment while the prime minister and deputy prime minister are in South Africa.

Why the Crisis...
* Tensions have besieged the small mountainous kingdom since early last year. In June this year Thabane suspended parliament after opposition groups pushed for a vote of no-confidence in him.

Timeline....
* On Saturday, the Lesotho Defence Force took over the radio and TV stations, resulting in a total black out in broadcast. The army had also taken over several police stations, including the police headquarters in an apparent coup d’état, although no one has claimed to have taken over the kingdom by force.

Where is the Prime Minister...
* According to reports in the media Thabane and Deputy Prime Minister Mothejoa Metsing are presently in South Africa. Thabane said he would not return to Lesotho while he still fears for his life.
“I have been removed from control not by the people but by the armed forces, and that is illegal,” Thabane reportedly said.
“I will return as soon as my life is not in danger… I will not go back to Lesotho to get killed.

South Africa Involvement....
* Speculation has been rife regarding the SA national Defence Force’s (SANDF) involvement in the crisis after the ‘Sunday Times’ published a story headlined “SA Special Forces Foil Lesotho Coup”. The article reported that SANDF troops entered Lesotho on Friday and helped Lesotho Prime Minister Tom Thabane flee to South Africa in a pre-dawn raid on Saturday

Meanwhile...
* High-level talks will continue in Pretoria on Monday to try to end the political crisis in Lesotho.
Foreign ministers of several Southern African Development Community (SADC) states met in Pretoria on Sunday night to discuss a reported coup in the Lesotho capital of Maseru.
International relations spokesperson Clayson Monyela says President Jacob Zuma called the meeting in his capacity as chair of SADC’s organ on politics and defence.

Like Our FACEBOOK page...it make us Go Stronger

https://m.facebook.com/NIGERIAnewslive?v=feed&_rdr

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/lesotho-s-public-service/1340186.html

(1) (Reply)

Memories You should not Forget... (must Read) / What Manner Of Man Is This? / Prophet Reveals Next Governor Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.