Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. (3267 Views)

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by FuckYou: 12:00pm On Sep 01, 2014
I want to study computer science in FUTA .
But most People condemn it because of the way our country is. They prefer me to study another course and study computer science on my own.
But am so confused when i look at the computer scientist in Nigeria.
If you're studying or studied computer science in Nigeria,
-please tell me, where do you think you can work in Nigeria and be balanced(meaning money won't be a problem)
-can a computer scientist really make it in Nigeria(apart from doing things on your own.)
I really need you help please.
If after studying C.S you graduate and you're doing things our own, u don't use your certificate.
Then what's the essence of studying it in school .
Please read and comment
Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by realugee: 8:04pm On Sep 01, 2014
Leave all that talk from people... I got the same talk and I landed myself in Electrical Engineering. I just discovered that the closest I will ever get to Computer science is solving of abstract current and voltage equations.

Follow your passion and make it your proffession. Do computer science and while in school, run other it programs to imrove yourself. If computer science is really your passion, you'll succeed in it if you are serious.

As for job oportunities, there are a good number of tech companies where you can work.

BUT...

Your certificate is just a proof that you passed through the university. Even if you come out and do stuff on your own it's not still a waste. BTW 97%of the richest men in the world are self employed. #justSaying

Finally, most people who have passion for computer usually want to be entrepreneurs (their own boss). I think you should put yourself in that category.

MAKE YOUR PASSION YOUR PROFFESSION!!! Don't say I did not tell you.

4 Likes

Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by asalimpo(m): 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2014
I don't think there is any Nigerian software company creatg core sciency products,like is d case in western countries.
If u eventually land a tech/software job here,it will require heuristc knowledge. Stuff any1 with a book and internet cudve learnt on their own.
But d thing is, it seems there a dirth of cs faculties at nigerian universities compared to other disciplines e.g law,accounting,economics.

1 Like

Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by nollyj: 12:32am On Sep 02, 2014
FuckYou:
If after studying C.S you graduate and you're doing things our own, u don't use your certificate.
Please read and comment

There are far many advantages of going to UNI beside graduating and getting a job in your field of study.

For example, some of the friends I made in Uni have become an integral part of my life. It does not take me time to make inquiries since Uni gave me the opportunity to meet people that are now working in different sectors of Nigerian economy and abroad.
Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by codemarshal08(m): 6:54am On Sep 02, 2014
My broda, I will advice you to follow your Mind. If you decide to go the computer science route, Dont forget to get your self some Extra training as it will really help you. Wish You the Best !
Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by FuckYou: 4:25pm On Sep 03, 2014
nollyj:

There are far many advantages of going to UNI beside graduating and getting a job in your field of study.

For example, some of the friends I made in Uni have become an integral part of my life. It does not take me time to make inquiries since Uni gave me the opportunity to meet people that are now working in different sectors of Nigerian economy and abroad.
thanks.. I just occurred to my mind that if i decide to chase two rabbit at d same time(studying another in the Uni and pursuing the other outside).. I may end up with none or not giving one the attention it deserve
Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by FuckYou: 4:29pm On Sep 03, 2014
codemarshal08: My broda, I will advice you to follow your Mind. If you decide to go the computer science route, Dont forget to get your self some Extra training as it will really help you. Wish You the Best !
thanks.. That will be better to give 100% attention it deserve..
Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by FuckYou: 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2014
realugee: Leave all that talk from people... I got the same talk and I landed myself in Electrical Engineering. I just discovered that the closest I will ever get to Computer science is solving of abstract current and voltage equations.

Follow your passion and make it your proffession. Do computer science and while in school, run other it programs to imrove yourself. If computer science is really your passion, you'll succeed in it if you are serious.

As for job oportunities, there are a good number of tech companies where you can work.

BUT...

Your certificate is just a proof that you passed through the university. Even if you come out and do stuff on your own it's not still a waste. BTW 97%of the richest men in the world are self employed. #justSaying

Finally, most people who have passion for computer usually want to be entrepreneurs (their own boss). I think you should put yourself in that category.

MAKE YOUR PASSION YOUR PROFFESSION!!! Don't say I did not tell you.
i don hear u bro.
U've said it all
Re: You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. by toshodei: 6:40pm On Sep 03, 2014
FuckYou: I want to study computer science in FUTA .
But most People condemn it because of the way our country is. They prefer me to study another course and study computer science on my own.
But am so confused when i look at the computer scientist in Nigeria.
If you're studying or studied computer science in Nigeria,
-please tell me, where do you think you can work in Nigeria and be balanced(meaning money won't be a problem)
-can a computer scientist really make it in Nigeria(apart from doing things on your own.)
I really need you help please.
Please read and comment

I dont mind helping you or giving you advice, but Im still pondering on why u had to choose that username when you know that Nairaland is an online/virtual community. We are all here to help and meet each other. Like who are you telling 'FuckYou'? To all Nairalanders? To Nairalanders viewing your post? To Nairalanders commenting on your thread?

Still either way, I think that you should follow your heart. Still it depends on many things. How old are you? If you are around 17-21, my advice will be that you should become entrepreneurial and learn Computer Science/Info Technology on the side. If you want to go to university or college, then go to make connections. Network with alot of people. You never know who u can meet. If u are alot older than 17-21, than maybe u should focus on getting money. Whats the point of going to university/college and end up not having a job? It really depends on what your goals and motivations are, just dont limit yourself. If you just want to get a job, then go to university and get a degree. If CS/IT is a must, then 2 do majors. From my experience in life, u can get all the degrees in CS/IT but the thing is why are u getting these degrees for? U can always learn programming online FOR FREE. There are so many resources. I personally dont think that certificates and degrees are really that worth it, unless u plan on getting a job. I have my Bachelors in Engineering but if I could do it again, I would've never went to school. I would've just been making apps/software and selling it but thats only because I want to have my own company and live good. If I wanted a job tho, I wouldn't have mind getting a degree. Like I said it all depends on what you want out of life. We are all different. Either way, be grateful for everything that comes your way and live in peace, love and happiness.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Try To Learn A Programming Language? / 5nights Of Programming See What I Built / Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.