Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws (3822 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by BigBelleControl(m): 2:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
1. If you are a woman, go easy on the make-up. Too much make-up can often give the impression that you are false. Skip the eyeliner. Go for the 'every day, girl next door' look. This bodes well with suspecting mother in-laws. She knows her grandchildren will be naturally beautiful. This is all she cares about.

2. If you are a man, go easy on the aftershave. Nobody wants to sit at the dinner table and taste JOOP as they chew. The same applies to women and perfume. Subtlety is key.

3. Dress code should be dressy casual. For a man, jeans and a shirt. Wearing tracksuit bottoms with white socks pulled over the end of them and a pair of trainers will have your mother in-law hiding her best silver.

4. For a woman, dress code should also be dressy casual. A nice pair of trousers and a blouse will suffice and if not, then a pretty dress that doesn't reveal too much. Don't wear heels that are too high. Go easy on the jewellery. You are not a Christmas tree.

5. Speak politely. Remember your P's & Q's. Always say thanks. If your dinner is burnt, eat it or be in it. Nobody likes to be told their cooking sucks.

6. Do not drink too much alcohol. I would actually advise to refrain from it altogether. If it is forced upon you, sip your drink slowly to deter a future top-up. The last thing you want is to get drunk and tell your respective parent in-laws how great your partner is in bed.

7. Do not be overly possessive with your partner around your in-laws. Hanging off them, being touchy feely, kissing, is NOT cute. It's annoying. More annoying for people watching. It also makes a statement. It says 'he's mine now'. Mummy In-Law will not be a happy bunny. You are effectively stealing him. In reverse, the same applies to a woman with respect to her father.

8. Do not try to sound like you are a hero, a genius, vain, cocky, spoilt or otherwise. Modesty is attractive. Nobody is perfect. And I mean nobody.

9. Compliment the house, apartment, trailer, tent or whatever it is they live in. If the paint is peeling, the curtains are falling down, rats climbing out of bins, tough. This is a brief visit and you have to see it through for the one you love. This is not just about you.

10. If you are insulted, put down, mocked or otherwise, smile and bite your tongue. Unless you can come back with a comment that is both witty and includes a hidden innuendo to insult them right back, then you are wasting your time getting miffed. It will lead to an argument.

11. Without going over the top, say nice things about your partner. You want them to know that you love him/her but you don't want to sound obsessed. A light & breezy comment 'He's brilliant at soccer, I go to some of his games and he has talent' should be a guider. Not something like "OMG, your son is AMAZING!! He's the next Maradonna!! I rub his feet after training even when he's wearing smelly socks just so he can play again tomorrow".

12. When leaving, thank your host for the beautiful evening you had and let them know you had a lovely time. Smile. Always smile.

Caveat: Not all points listed above can work in every situation, especially in NIGERIA.

http://www.wikihow.com/Impress-Your-In-Laws

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by estyvino(m): 3:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
Am @ ease now, how did you know my inlaw invited me for a dinner. This piece of info will definitely will help.

MODIFIED.
Area! Area!! Area!!! If na for wari, those rules doesn't count.
Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by Nobody: 1:49am On Sep 05, 2014
BigBelleControl: 1. If you are a woman, go easy on the make-up. Too much make-up can often give the impression that you are false. Skip the eyeliner. Go for the 'every day, girl next door' look. This bodes well with suspecting mother in-laws. She knows her grandchildren will be naturally beautiful. This is all she cares about.

2. If you are a man, go easy on the aftershave. Nobody wants to sit at the dinner table and taste JOOP as they chew. The same applies to women and perfume. Subtlety is key.

3. Dress code should be dressy casual. For a man, jeans and a shirt. Wearing tracksuit bottoms with white socks pulled over the end of them and a pair of trainers will have your mother in-law hiding her best silver.

4. For a woman, dress code should also be dressy casual. A nice pair of trousers and a blouse will suffice and if not, then a pretty dress that doesn't reveal too much. Don't wear heels that are too high. Go easy on the jewellery. You are not a Christmas tree.

5. Speak politely. Remember your P's & Q's. Always say thanks. If your dinner is burnt, eat it or be in it. Nobody likes to be told their cooking sucks.

6. Do not drink too much alcohol. I would actually advise to refrain from it altogether. If it is forced upon you, sip your drink slowly to deter a future top-up. The last thing you want is to get drunk and tell your respective parent in-laws how great your partner is in bed.

7. Do not be overly possessive with your partner around your in-laws. Hanging off them, being touchy feely, kissing, is NOT cute. It's annoying. More annoying for people watching. It also makes a statement. It says 'he's mine now'. Mummy In-Law will not be a happy bunny. You are effectively stealing him. In reverse, the same applies to a woman with respect to her father.

8. Do not try to sound like you are a hero, a genius, vain, cocky, spoilt or otherwise. Modesty is attractive. Nobody is perfect. And I mean nobody.

9. Compliment the house, apartment, trailer, tent or whatever it is they live in. If the paint is peeling, the curtains are falling down, rats climbing out of bins, tough. This is a brief visit and you have to see it through for the one you love. This is not just about you.

10. If you are insulted, put down, mocked or otherwise, smile and bite your tongue. Unless you can come back with a comment that is both witty and includes a hidden innuendo to insult them right back, then you are wasting your time getting miffed. It will lead to an argument.

11. Without going over the top, say nice things about your partner. You want them to know that you love him/her but you don't want to sound obsessed. A light & breezy comment 'He's brilliant at soccer, I go to some of his games and he has talent' should be a guider. Not something like "OMG, your son is AMAZING!! He's the next Maradonna!! I rub his feet after training even when he's wearing smelly socks just so he can play again tomorrow".

12. When leaving, thank your host for the beautiful evening you had and let them know you had a lovely time. Smile. Always smile.

The dangers of blind copy and paste

Can you at least quote your source or better yet modify it to fit into the Nigerian reality

Wear jeans to your in laws and your inlaws will swear their son brought an ashawo for them

1 Like

Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:39am On Sep 05, 2014
Not for Nigerians.....i guess.
Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by BigBelleControl(m): 11:03am On Sep 05, 2014
Babymama1:

Can you at least quote your source or better yet modify it to fit into the Nigerian reality

Wear jeans to your in laws and your inlaws will swear their son brought an ashawo for them

Points noted and corrected.
But the honest truth is the dress sense portrayed in the write-up is modest enough considering the way girls of nowadays dress. If people can dress half-unclad to religious places what won't they do to meet their in-laws.
Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 05, 2014
Babymama1:

Oh please, I wore jeans!

2 Likes

Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by pinkishgal(f): 4:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
Actually visiting ma in-laws to be tomorrow, Lord have mercy, wearing a native atire cos of the yoruba culture u know.. Wish me Luck. Thanks for the info
Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by ahnie: 8:15pm On Sep 05, 2014
i miss waffi...no body go even reason this signboard wey op paste for warri.[quote
author=estyvino]Am @ ease now, how did you know my inlaw invited me for
a dinner. This piece of info will definitely will help.

MODIFIED.
Area! Area!! Area!!! If na for wari, those rules doesn't count.[/quote]
Re: Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws by jmoore(m): 11:51am On Sep 12, 2014
Twelve ways to pretend in the presence of your in-laws

(1) (Reply)

Is My Fiance Saying The Truth, Should I Be Worried? / A Married Woman In My Neigbourhood is Disturbing My Life / What Does It Mean For A Wife To Submit To Her Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.