Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Freshly Into the Auto Business - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Freshly Into the Auto Business (943 Views)

Register Your Auto Business With CAC / Running A Successful Auto Business In Nigeria / Get An Interactive Website For Your Auto Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freshly Into the Auto Business by Insightz(m): 12:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
I am freshly into the auto auto business. I am operating from the European axis; Holland, Belgium and Germany. I started a few months ago when a friend asked me to buy a Toyota Corolla for him. I thought it was difficult but I ended up having fun checking out cars. I have succeeded in sending some buses with some cargo loaded on them. I must say that, the nature of car business can be a bit tricky. I realized that sometimes the market is quite slow. Or maybe I am not doing the right things the right way or doing the rights the wrong way. Most of what I know now I learned from experience; no apprenticeship or external help. First my experiences with the clearing agents was bitter sweet. The guy kept on asking for money after money. He said he needed to pay this, pay that! Then came also the buyers who gave ridiculous bids.

To all the successful car dealers in the house, kindly drop some useful tips on how to succeed in this business:

1. What are the best places to source Tokunbo cars: open market, garage sales, auction houses? For those who are familiar with the European market? I source mostly online.
2. What cars are surefire sellers in Naija?
3. Any good clearing agents in the house? not those who have to pay this, pay that and pay those!
4. How can one reduce shipping charges and clearing charges? is it better to use containers or Roll on Roll off?
5. Is it advisable to sell on the forum before the car gets cleared? I see that some veterans do this.
6. Any other info is well appreciated

Thanks
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by oliverjiad(m): 3:07pm On Sep 05, 2014
Insightz: I am freshly into the auto auto business. I am operating from the European axis; Holland, Belgium and Germany. I started a few months ago when a friend asked me to buy a Toyota Corolla for him. I thought it was difficult but I ended up having fun checking out cars. I have succeeded in sending some buses with some cargo loaded on them. I must say that, the nature of car business can be a bit tricky. I realized that sometimes the market is quite slow. Or maybe I am not doing the right things the right way or doing the rights the wrong way. Most of what I know now I learned from experience; no apprenticeship or external help. First my experiences with the clearing agents was bitter sweet. The guy kept on asking for money after money. He said he needed to pay this, pay that! Then came also the buyers who gave ridiculous bids.

To all the successful car dealers in the house, kindly drop some useful tips on how to succeed in this business:

1. What are the best places to source Tokunbo cars: open market, garage sales, auction houses? For those who are familiar with the European market? I source mostly online.
2. What cars are surefire sellers in Naija?
3. Any good clearing agents in the house? not those who have to pay this, pay that and pay those!
4. How can one reduce shipping charges and clearing charges? is it better to use containers or Roll on Roll off?
5. Is it advisable to sell on the forum before the car gets cleared? I see that some veterans do this.
6. Any other info is well appreciated

Thanks
use roll on roll off for it u can contact me forr ur clearing handling sir

Regards

Jaid
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by chucky234(m): 3:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
The best places to source cars at affordable rates are the US and Canada, toyota being the most overhyped and overrated brand in Nigeria should be your top choice especially 1997 - 2011 Camry and 2001 - 2009 Avalon. 2003 - 2008 Corolla sell like magic candles, Honda Accord (1998 - 2011) is another model that appeal to Nigerians, Lexus RX 300/330/350 also attract potential buyers.
Try as much as possible to offer your cars below market rates.
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Insightz(m): 5:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
oliverjiad: use roll on roll off for it u can contact me forr ur clearing handling sir

Regards

Jaid

Thanks Jaid, greatly appreciate. Will keep you in mind for my next shipment
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Insightz(m): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2014
chucky234: The best places to source cars at affordable rates are the US and Canada, toyota being the most overhyped and overrated brand in Nigeria should be your top choice especially 1997 - 2011 Camry and 2001 - 2009 Avalon. 2003 - 2008 Corolla sell like magic candles, Honda Accord (1998 - 2011) is another model that appeal to Nigerians, Lexus RX 300/330/350 also attract potential buyers.

Thanks chucky234. You have been of much help. Do you have any suggestions on buses? I am also ship bulk Tokunbo washing machines, freezers, etc. I use buses to load my stuff from the warehouses. Do have any suggestions on the kinds of buses or trucks that are marketable? Also you mentioned Toyota; what about Toyota Rav4? Is it marketable? Those I can I source at competitive rates in European markets, especially the German auto bush market. I read in the forum about Infiniti, are they good to go? Thanks again
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
Contact calculusx autos on this site. You can view his thread to confirm his deals. He is a guru and trust-worthy fellow.

I stand to be corrected on my referal.

Cheers
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by calculusx(m): 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
chucky234: The best places to source cars at affordable rates are the US and Canada, toyota being the most overhyped and overrated brand in Nigeria should be your top choice especially 1997 - 2011 Camry and 2001 - 2009 Avalon. 2003 - 2008 Corolla sell like magic candles, Honda Accord (1998 - 2011) is another model that appeal to Nigerians, Lexus RX 300/330/350 also attract potential buyers.

Infact,you have hit the nail on the head with not an ordinary hammer but with a Sledge hammer grin. GOD bless you.

OP: Which country are you? We can meet somewhere in Europe next month for meeting and discussion. We can work something out from there.

Many Nigerians love German Cars but price is another issue. You need to carefully study the Nigerian Market (as there are some Car Spec and Trims that won't sell in 6months and some will sell within weeks) before going fully into the business.
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by chucky234(m): 7:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
calculusx:

Infact,you have hit the nail on the head with not an ordinary hammer but with a Sledge hammer grin. GOD bless you.

OP: Which country are you? We can meet somewhere in Europe next month for meeting and discussion. We can work something out from there.

Many Nigerians love German Cars but price is another issue. You need to carefully study the Nigerian Market (as there are some Car Spec and Trims that won't sell in 6months and some will sell within weeks) before going fully into the business.
Thanks bro.
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by chucky234(m): 7:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
Insightz:

Thanks chucky234. You have been of much help. Do you have any suggestions on buses? I am also ship bulk Tokunbo washing machines, freezers, etc. I use buses to load my stuff from the warehouses. Do have any suggestions on the kinds of buses or trucks that are marketable? Also you mentioned Toyota; what about Toyota Rav4? Is it marketable? Those I can I source at competitive rates in European markets, especially the German auto bush market. I read in the forum about Infiniti, are they good to go? Thanks again
The only bus I'll advice you to buy as a beginner is the VW LT35 or Toyota Hiace with complete seats, since you load the buses with washing machines and refridgerators the VW LT35 long frame buses will do.
If you are going for Toyota then start with the models I stated earlier, you can add the Highlander as well as it is in high demand.
Infiniti models also sell quite well here but might stay longer in showroom than the other models I listed.
Aside the washing machines you can also load LED/LCD TV sets, rug carpets and microwaves into the said buses.
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Benez: 8:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
My brother, Corolla, Highlander and Rav 4 actually dominate Nigerian Market. For Freezers, get Liber and some other good ones. For washing Machines, buy uploaded machines with especially manual ones.
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Insightz(m): 9:26pm On Sep 05, 2014
calculusx:

Thanks calculusx. I have gone through your posts. I can say that you come well recommended. From what I see, Toyota cars are the thing. To tell you the truth I am very curious about the car specs and trims that sell within weeks. That is what I am targeting. I am currently studying the market as you advised. I have some trustworthy people on ground doing the surveys.

It would be nice to meet up with you for some serious discussion. I could give you my mobile number as well.

Thanks for the tips
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Insightz(m): 9:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
justjeff: Contact calculusx autos on this site. You can view his thread to confirm his deals. He is a guru and trust-worthy fellow.

I stand to be corrected on my referal.

Cheers

I already did. Thanks
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by Insightz(m): 9:45pm On Sep 05, 2014
Benez: My brother, Corolla, Highlander and Rav 4 actually dominate Nigerian Market. For Freezers, get Liber and some other good ones. For washing Machines, buy uploaded machines with especially manual ones.

Thanks bro. Liber is a good brand. There are a couple of other good ones like you said. Actually, I was told that front loaders are better. I think In would integrate next time.
Re: Freshly Into the Auto Business by calculusx(m): 10:10pm On Sep 05, 2014
Insightz:
Thanks calculusx. I have gone through your posts. I can say that you come well recommended. From what I see, Toyota cars are the thing. To tell you the truth I am very curious about the car specs and trims that sell within weeks.
Thanks for the tips

We will discuss via mail. I should be in Brussels sometime next month.

(1) (Reply)

2006 Toyota Highlander 3rows Tokunbo For Sale Super Clean And Fresh / Infiniti G35 2006 Lagos Clear 2,850m...phone Number.08107663738 / Registered Volkwagen Jetta For Sale (2007 Model)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.