Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,850 members, 7,956,190 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:22 AM

Price Bargain: How Good Are You? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Price Bargain: How Good Are You? (1244 Views)

Please Don't Bargain Hard With Small Vendors (photo) / How To Bargain With Market Women / How Good Are You At Haggling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by bizngr(f): 1:43pm On Sep 05, 2014
Here in Nigeria, price bargaining is a widely accepted practice when making purchases from stores and open markets, except in the supermarket or some shopping malls in which the goods have clear fixed prices. Try bargaining every time you visit the market and stores; you may get a great price reduction and enjoy the fun and pleasure of shopping.

In spite of its advantages, bargaining can be a little time-consuming and sometimes troublesome, and so to be fully prepared is very necessary – however, there is no need to be nervous.

Here are tips to help you bargain effectively in your next shopping.

Do your homework

Know the situations in which it is appropriate to bargain. Not all situations call for bargaining. If you want to know whether it’s acceptable to bargain, say something casual like “It’s just a little too expensive for me.” If the seller makes a counter-offer or asks “how much would you like to pay?” he’s effectively opening the door to bargaining.

Find out what indigenes pay

In most places where bargaining is common, there’s a double standard when it comes to the price tag: What indigenes pay is often far less than what non-indigenes pay. Many sellers won’t sell the “indigene” price to non-indigenes out of principle, although you may be able to get quite close if you’re skilled.

Determine what the item is worth to you

This is a tried and true shopping rule that applies to buying things in general. But it especially applies to bargaining. Many bargainers think that cutting the price in half will guarantee them a good offer. But many sellers simply triple the first offer in anticipation of this. If you know what the item is worth to you, it doesn’t really matter how the seller prices his or her item — as long as you’re happy with the price paid.

Have cash in hand

In many places where it’s common to bargain, cash is king. Sellers either won’t accept cheques or will be displeased about them. Reaching out with a handful of cash and exclaiming “This is all the money I have” is a good trick that often works. Sellers will be tempted to go ahead and grab the cash in exchange for the item.

Be in charge

If an item is worth more to you than you paid for it, it doesn’t really matter whether you paid more than the indigene. By definition, you got your money’s worth. If the seller you’re bargaining with refuses to go down to the price at which the item is valuable to you, it should be easy to walk away.

Be calm and indifferent

One of the biggest mistakes people make is displaying their fondness for an item. As soon as the seller knows you like something, he has the upper hand in the negotiation. On the other hand, if he believes you’re on the fence for the item, you have the upper hand because you can always walk away, or at least pretend to walk away.

Go with someone

This trick works better than you might think at delivering the message that life’s other responsibilities could easily get in the way of the sale. Have a friend with you while you bargain. If they pretend to be bored, worried you’re spending too much money, or who has an appointment to catch, the seller could cut straight to the chase and offer you near the lowest or the lowest offer.

Don’t be afraid to walk away

You’ll get the lowest offer, or near the lowest offer, by being prepared to walk away. As soon as you walk away, the seller loses the sale, and people all over the world hate to lose sales. They should offer you one of their lowest prices. Be careful about the free seat and a bottle of malt that seller is offering; you’re certainly going to unknowingly pay for them as an inclusive cost in the item.

When the seller gets to a price you like, stop!

Don’t push it, or you’ll ruin the whole thing. Take your item and go. Be pleased with your new acquisition and the knowledge that you can bargain with the best of them!

Source

2 Likes

Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2014
grin
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by Leondrox: 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2014
This is how I start bargaining.

Oga, what does this item cost?
Sir, na N10,500 oo.
Whatshocked *walks away*.

Trader runs, hailing Sir, Sir, no be by that way na, come and price.
grin

1 Like

Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2014
I always walk away
Na me get my money

1 Like

Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by okotv(m): 10:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
going with someone who is an expert....works for me

1 Like

Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by bizngr(f): 10:40am On Sep 08, 2014
okotv: going with someone who is an expert....works for me
What happens when the "expert" is not around and you have a pressing need to meet? undecided
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by okotv(m): 12:52pm On Sep 08, 2014
bizngr: What happens when the "expert" is not around and you have a pressing need to meet? undecided
i just go ahead and pay what i can afford
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by bizngr(f): 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
okotv: i just go ahead and pay what i can afford
Sometimes what you can afford may exceed the minimum price the seller is willing to sell the good/service.

So you won't bargain?
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by okotv(m): 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2014
bizngr: Sometimes what you can afford may exceed the minimum price the seller is willing to sell the good/service.

So you won't bargain?
its up to what i can pay...if i don't have the amount...i might bargain or just forgo it cause i hate public noise..
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by bizngr(f): 1:09pm On Oct 20, 2014
okotv:
its up to what i can pay...if i don't have the amount...i might bargain or just forgo it cause i hate public noise..
If you say so.
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 20, 2014
Bargaining price in the market? Gosh! That's like the worst thing I hate. I never indulge in that...one of the reasons I buy from super markets.

Whenever I go to the market to buy goods I don't bargain. It makes me feel ashamed and poor...
I know the norm here in Nigeria is to bargain price and get the most out of it...but hey...I can't do that.
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by bizngr(f): 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2014
Nobleval:
Bargaining price in the market? Gosh! That's like the worst thing I hate. I never indulge in that...one of the reasons I buy from super markets.

Whenever I go to the market to buy goods I don't bargain. It makes me feel ashamed and poor...
I know the norm here in Nigeria is to bargain price and get the most out of it...but hey...I can't do that.
Bargaining is a skill. It is a wise act and never a sign of poverty nor should one be ashamed of it.
One has to be prudent no matter how financially buoyant one is.
Re: Price Bargain: How Good Are You? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 20, 2014
bizngr:
Bargaining is a skill. It is a wise act and never a sign of poverty nor should one be ashamed of it.
One has to be prudent no matter how financially buoyant one is.
It's not a habit of mine.

(1) (Reply)

A Poem From Our Heart; Happy Birthday Lanicky / Must Read!!! / *nigerian Woman Uses Fake Documents To Travel To Malta To Meet Friends*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.