Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

College Rape Victim Vows To Carry Mattress Until Rapist Is Expelled - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / College Rape Victim Vows To Carry Mattress Until Rapist Is Expelled (689 Views)

PHOTO: Who Knows This Accident Victim From Anambra / Police Arrests, Return N15m To Sokoto Robbery Victim / PHOTO: 8 Lesbian Girls Expelled From Secondary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

College Rape Victim Vows To Carry Mattress Until Rapist Is Expelled by prodiG(m): 9:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
On the first day of her sophomore year of college, Emma Sulkowicz was raped in her dorm room bed. The Columbia University senior says the perpetrator was a fellow student. He still is — and has been since he allegedly assaulted Sulkowicz and two other female students. As Sulkowicz reported in Time earlier this year, all three cases against her offender were dismissed. So, she’s not taking it anymore.
After joining a federal complaint in April over Columbia’s mishandling of rape cases and speaking out about the school’s failure to address her assault, Sulkowicz is now embarking on yet another effort — an artistic one — to make change on campus. For her senior thesis project, the visual arts major will perform what she is calling “an endurance art piece,” in which she will carry around a standard twin-size dorm room mattress with her everywhere she goes, until her rapist is removed from school.“A mattress is the perfect size for me to just be able to carry it — enough that I can continue with my day, but also heavy enough that I have to continually struggle with it,” Sulkowicz said in a video for the Columbia Spectator.“I think the other thing about beds it that we keep them in … our intimate space, our private space. But I think the past year or so of my life has been really marked by telling people what happened in that most intimate, private space and bringing it out into the light.”
The piece, titled “Mattress Performance” or “Carry That Weight,” could go on for a day or until Sulkowicz graduates, she said. Either way, it will not end until change has been made.

Re: College Rape Victim Vows To Carry Mattress Until Rapist Is Expelled by tuwayz(m): 9:14pm On Sep 06, 2014
So she won't do any other thing than carrying mattress around with her? Hmmm it seems she is less busy with school activities
Re: College Rape Victim Vows To Carry Mattress Until Rapist Is Expelled by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
Though molestation is evil,but why give yourself heavy laden inform of protest.

Thank goodness its US,if it is here you will be carrying that mattress until you graduate.
Re: College Rape Victim Vows To Carry Mattress Until Rapist Is Expelled by madgoat(m): 9:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
Seriously, shes gonna carry d mattress arnd? grin she no get work at all. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Please-i Need Help With ATM Cash Transfer! / Breaking News : Many Dead,and Many Still Trapped At Synagogue / Man Trades $160K Diamond For $20 Weed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.