Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? (597 Views)

Bus Driver Strips Unclad As LASTMA Officials Try To Tow His Bus / Life Lesson: The Richest Man In The Society Of Then. (photo) / Who Contributes More To The Society: Doctors Or Teachers??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by mumumugu(m): 9:22pm On Sep 06, 2014
I am tired of the society, am tired of the judgmental eyes of the society. What does it want with me and why can’t it just leave me alone to live my life. Am certain am not the only one who feels this way cause my friends too have had some awkward experience where they are judged wrongly by the society.

The first case is probably put best by the statement, “Society is funny. They ask you to be yourself and yet they judge you.” How many itimes have people around you told you that, be yourself, be original, don’t be afraid to be? Then when you follow their advice they are the first on the scene pointing fingers. Just because the people there have always done something in a particular way, doesn’t make it the best way to do it nor does it make them normal, cause if you are acting normal are you being normal or are you just acting?

Society is always trying in some way to grind us down to a single flat surface, always doing its best to keep us in “check”, but if I may be so bold to quote the bible, ‘God created each man unique and no two people are equal in all aspects.’ Why then does society say different? It’s these things that limit the ability we have inside.

Ask yourself this question, why is society so afraid of people moving away from the ‘normal’? OK I have to admit that statement also scares me a bit, I really don’t know why i just wrote that, but it’s worth a thought.
Re: Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by emmyw(m): 9:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
Exactly.
Re: Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by Caseless2: 9:45pm On Sep 06, 2014
When the society says 'be urself', it does not mean going off-lane, but doing what is right.
You don't expect a homophobic society to accept or celebrate you when you turn gay simply because it wanted you to be yourself.
Re: Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
Some people are born mumumugus.
If you decide to be yourself, I mean your real and original mumu self, how best can you be helped other than to be redirected towards the lane of societal conventions?

None is likely to go against you if you're right, save for some few nihilistic and irrational ones who you as a compos mentis homo sapien, should ignore...

Be yourself if only 'yourself' is worth being.
Re: Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by Soulcaine(m): 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
Society fears what it does not understand.

It expects you to act within a limit, boundary, expctation etc. In order to protect itself (society).

Society exists because of the adopted philosophy of flight; live to run another day. Once you deviate, there is the ingrained parochial fear that you would bring from outside what they have been avoiding. More like being the harbinger of death. In the same vein when you express "Alien" ideas or act out these ideas, society sees you as an Alien.

They do not want to understand, like a violinist with only one string, all they sing is; "It's not done".

2 Likes

Re: Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by MizMyColi(f): 10:03pm On Sep 06, 2014
“Some of us aren't meant to belong. Some of us have to turn
the world upside down and shake the hell out of it until we
make our own place in it.”
― Elizabeth Lowell, Remember Summer

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does The Society Discriminate Against Those Who Try To Be Different? by mumumugu(m): 7:28am On Sep 07, 2014
Then there are these standards that society has put on people, standards that we have to reach so as to be considered normal.

Uneducated ones are considered as abnormal.unmarried ladies at 35 are belived to need deliverance.

Sorry for the language but that is BS, you were created to be different, why then do you try so hard to be normal?

If we live according to others conditions, does it mean we are living our life or we are living their life? She needs make-up to cover up because, society taught her who she is, isn’t enough. Am sorry if I sound to direct but that’s the truth. Dear insecure girls everywhere, you’re not ugly, society is. Sincerely, The truth.

Then there is this popular concept about the cycle of life. It goes like, go to school, get a good education, go to , get a good paying job and guide the next generation in the same way.

We shouldnt break the cycle else we are considered abnormal.

(1) (Reply)

Ex-obasanjo Spokesperson, Remi Oyo, Dies At 62 / TOP NEWS Nigeria's Boko Haram "Leader" Appears In New Video - AFP / Fayose Prostrates Flat On The Floor At Deeper Life Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.