Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,651 members, 7,958,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:27 AM

How You Can Stop Snoring. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How You Can Stop Snoring. (759 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How You Can Stop Snoring. by insidifyguru: 4:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
Snoring is not alien to us Nigerians. We all know a friend or relative who makes that, most times annoying, guttural sound from the throat while asleep. Though a totally physical occurrence, the effects on those who are 'victims' of it are more psychological than physical.

As 'mere' as snoring sounds, it has been the cause of not a few relationship hiccups and interpersonal problems. Now, why is there a need to start off with the reality that is snoring? It is so that NL readers appreciate that snoring is not to be toyed with. But more importantly, that it can (and should) be cured.

The first step is to identify which kind of snorer you are (yes, snoring has categories). There are three distinct kinds of snorers:
1. Those who snore with the mouth closed. For this class of people, the tongue is the cause of the snoring. This is easily remedied by making some changes to your lifestyle and doing some exercises. The changes to your lifestyle are that you may need to take less alcohol and bring the fatty food intake down a notch. This is because alcohol may increase your snoring by making your throat muscles relax thereby impeding the free flow of air through your nostrils. Fatty food also has a similar impact by pushing up on your diaphragm.

2. Those who snore with the mouth open. This kind of snoring Is usually caused by sinus (another fancy name for the nostrils) trouble or by a particular posture in bed. You can remedy this by changing your sleeping posture. If you snore, sleeping on your back is not really the best sleeping posture for you. Try sleeping on your side and if you are an unrepentant 'back sleeper' like me, it is recommended that you use pillows to prop yourself so you can sleep on your side.

3. Snoring from any position. Now, if you find that you still snore whichever way you sleep and whether your mouth is open or closed, then it is most probable that you are suffering from an ailment known as APNEA which is a term used to describe a state of suspended breathing. You should definitely see a doctor and have yourself thoroughly examined if you fall under this category.

I do hope this has been helpful

Thank you for reading and have a beautiful week ahead. #Insidify

(Inspiration for this piece came from a recent snoring experience with a friend and a desire to help him overcome it..and, of course, some good research notably from http://m.wikihow.com/Stop-Snoring)
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by sleeknick: 4:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
This should make f.p....
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by priscaoge(f): 10:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
The worst is that U won't even sleep,u will be wide awake listening to d sound they make. It's always annoying!
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by Sammyblaq(m): 11:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
priscaoge: The worst is that U won't even sleep,u will be wide awake listening to d sound they make. It's always annoying!
shyt sound...it can make me hate one o. The ibos had a proverb on it but i believe is been phased out of era.
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by priscaoge(f): 11:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
Sammyblaq:
shyt sound...it can make me hate one o. The ibos had a proverb on it but i believe is been phased out of era.
Lol..What's d proverb?

I never knew that someone can snore so loud that U can hear d sound from another flat..Damn!!! If am lying on dsame bed wit u n u snores,it's either I live d room 4 u or u live,it keeps me uncomfortable+awake I swear...
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by insidifyguru: 9:25am On Sep 08, 2014
Thank you @sleeknick. @Priscagoe yes,it can be pretty annoying. That is why this is something you should share with that person. @sammyblaq please don't leave the room or make the person leave. The thing is the person will most likely not know that he/she is snoring. As calmly and sensitively as you can,kindly let the person know then share this piece with him/her.
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by Sammyblaq(m): 1:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
insidifyguru: @sammyblaq please don't leave the room or make the person leave. The thing is the person will most likely not know that he/she is snoring. As calmly and sensitively as you can,kindly let the person know then share this piece with him/her.
brotherly my passing tru the boarding house helped me stay out of snoring. I neither leave the room or make the person leave as u stated above; i have dis 2guys dat do snore but they dont believe wen i tell them. They started believing when others came in to testify of it. At this time they know they snore and dont want to stop cos they are stucked. Bad omen
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by Sammyblaq(m): 1:32pm On Sep 08, 2014
priscaoge:
Lol..What's d proverb?

I never knew that someone can snore so loud that U can hear d sound from another flat..Damn!!! If am lying on dsame bed wit u n u snores,it's either I live d room 4 u or u live,it keeps me uncomfortable+awake I swear...
hahahahaha...help my lungs oge.
'ura towa uto..ekwoweya ekwowa'. Jonsing
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by insidifyguru: 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2014
Sammyblaq:
brotherly my passing tru the boarding house helped me stay out of snoring. I neither leave the room or make the person leave as u stated above; i have dis 2guys dat do snore but they dont believe wen i tell them. They started believing when others came in to testify of it. At this time they know they snore and dont want to stop cos they are stucked. Bad omen

Then you need to make those guys really see why they need to stop. Please explain to them that they are not stuck at all and help them to also realise that it is not something trivial. Thanks for the comments. #Insidify
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by Sammyblaq(m): 3:23pm On Sep 08, 2014
insidifyguru:

Then you need to make those guys really see why they need to stop. Please explain to them that they are not stuck at all and help them to also realise that it is not something trivial. Thanks for the comments. #Insidify
I dont think they can put a stop cos they still talk while sleeping....
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by insidifyguru: 4:00pm On Sep 08, 2014
Sammyblaq:
I dont think they can put a stop cos they still talk while sleeping....

Well, there's really nothing that cannot be stopped Sammy. If the guys want it bad enough, they can definitely stop it.
Re: How You Can Stop Snoring. by Sammyblaq(m): 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2014
insidifyguru:

Well, there's really nothing that cannot be stopped Sammy. If the guys want it bad enough, they can definitely stop it.
ok still

(1) (Reply)

Apply: Leap Africa Internship Programme Summer 2015 / PFGG Rewards Mallam Jafaru Boderi,retired Teacher Who Returned 34k Naira(photos) / Motion Graphics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.