Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? (62895 Views)

Grow Your Plants Without Soil - Grow In The Air / What Are Some Crops I Could Grow In Abia State? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

I dont know who else have also be told the same sory. Is the theory true or another false rumour that most Nigerians (like me wink ) believes??

[size=4pt]**I wish to start growing apples**[/size]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by felixzo1(m): 5:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
himkers: check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

I dont know who else have also be told the same sory. Is the theory true or another false rumour that most Nigerians (like me wink ) believes??

apples is a temperate plant.it grows in cold weather, it can grow in jos, carrots grow here,there are lot of pLants dat do not grow tn temperate weather too. eg mangoes

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by psucc(m): 6:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
No sir. Its not true that because it grows on temperate region.
Those seeds are are dead on arrival. Many have tried but the seed refuse to germinate.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 07, 2014
psucc: No sir. Its not true that because it grows on temperate region.
Those seeds are are dead on arrival. Many have tried but the seed refuse to germinate.

That's my point. What made it 'dead on arrival?'
Is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign farmers to keep it away from Nigeria (and probably africa)?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by felixzo1(m): 7:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
himkers:

Is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign farmers to keep it away from Nigeria (and probably africa)?
appe is mostly propagated by stem cutting, but seeds can germinate too under right conditions. i know somebody with an apple orchard in plateau state. but on a small scale.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 07, 2014
felixzo1: appe is mostly propagated by stem cutting, but seeds can germinate too under right conditions. i know somebody with an apple orchard in plateau state. but on a small scale.

where can i get the stem to grow?
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by felixzo1(m): 8:33pm On Sep 07, 2014
himkers:

where can i get the stem to grow?
IT will not grow in our weather, even plateau state it does not perform well, it requires a very cold weather

17 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by QuiverBox(f): 7:47am On Sep 09, 2014
himkers:

Why dont you seek ways to develop a hybid seed that will grow in tropical region rather than blame the foreign farmers

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Pavore9: 7:53am On Sep 09, 2014
Following..
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 09, 2014
QuiverBox:

Why dont you seek ways to develop a hybid seed that will grow in tropical region rather than blame the foreign farmers

I am not an agric-scientist. I am just an aspiring farmer

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 09, 2014
Op please do a research if you're really interested in growing apples in Nigeria.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by QuiverBox(f): 9:43am On Sep 09, 2014
himkers:

I am not an agric-scientist. I am just an aspiring farmer

Then stop the blame game and look for an alternative

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 09, 2014
QuiverBox:

Then stop the blame game and look for an alternative

another alternative of growing the apples here in Nigeria? How about you telling me the other alternatives. I'd be indeed grateful and happy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 09, 2014
datalossvictim1: Op please do a research if you're really interested in growing apples in Nigeria.

see apple o shocked

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by QuiverBox(f): 10:17am On Sep 09, 2014
himkers:

another alternative of growing the apples here in Nigeria? How about you telling me the other alternatives. I'd be indeed grateful and happy

Seek for seed varieties that will grow in tropical region

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 09, 2014
Because yam and cocoyam is already growing here... grin
I really don't know why, I have thought bout it briefly in the past, not like I was bothered anyway...I hate apple!!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:01am On Sep 09, 2014
Apple is a temperate.crops which can only grow in countries like south africa and some other European countries where the weather condition favours its growth.

Although,we have local varieties that are grown in the tropical regions but they are not sustainable and sweet conpared to the temperate counterpart.

Want to know more on agribusiness?

Check my articles on cultivation of plantain,oilpalm,cassava, and investment in agribusiness to get more information on the agriculture industry and how you can create wealth and fortune.

You will be glad that you did.

Do agric......Create wealth.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 10, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Because yam and cocoyam is already growing here... grin
I really don't know why, I have thought bout it briefly in the past, not like I was bothered anyway...I hate apple!!!

I like apple but I hate apple-flavoured drinks grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by midastouch: 1:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
himkers: check the cartons/packs of all the apples you buy in stores, and roadsides and you will see they are all imported from abroad. I was told apples cant be grown in Nigeria; reason being that the Oyinbos injected a kind of chemical into the fruit that will make it impossible for it to grow anywhere other than their home countries.

Apples have been grown in Nigeria. The link to some success stories is below:

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/tropics.htm

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by autofreak2020(m): 11:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
The seeds has be genetically altered, that is why it will not grow here, only genetic engineers or scientist can work on that, do we have such brain in Nigeria? if at all they exist, they are either theoretical or not ready for such research project.

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Pavore9: 12:40pm On Sep 26, 2014
midastouch:

Apples have been grown in Nigeria. The link to some success stories is below:

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/tropics.htm
l may make out time to drop by at their kampala nursery and see what is going on there.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by crispgg: 6:59am On Sep 27, 2014
Why don't you visit the Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan? If apples can be grown here I'm sure they will know about it.

Also, I'm aware that there is an area called Gembu in Taraba or Adamawa state where some Nigerian big men have apple farms. Heard that the place is cooler than Jos and they do experience snowfall some years.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by tempest01(m): 8:53am On Sep 27, 2014
We get our own local apple nah

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by TeamclicksAir: 8:53am On Sep 27, 2014
weather i think

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by ayusco85(m): 8:53am On Sep 27, 2014

Wait lemme ask IFA

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 27, 2014
Apples only grow in temperate regions IIRC.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mumumugu(m): 8:55am On Sep 27, 2014
Apple is forbidden fruit

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Pancho01(m): 8:56am On Sep 27, 2014
Your question OP is like asking why can't palm trees be cultivated in d north.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by coolvitus(m): 8:56am On Sep 27, 2014
Bad weather
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by GowonAbacha: 8:57am On Sep 27, 2014
It all boils down to the weather. Apples can't strive in temperate regions. They are mainly grown in europe and america.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 27, 2014
Saturday morning front page rockz...smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by tnktosin(m): 8:57am On Sep 27, 2014
datalossvictim1: Op please do a research if you're really interested in growing apples in Nigeria.
Is that in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.