Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,412 members, 7,812,221 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers (1530 Views)

Strange But Funny Names Of Real People (photos) / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / Real-life Superheroes: People With Incredible Abilities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by bitterpenis(m): 1:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
By Tom Anderson. Published on July 16, 2014 1
Controlling Body Temperature with Your Mind

In the last decade, there have been a number of studies conducted regarding the importance of thought. From success in one’s life to improving one’s health, positive thinking has proven to help many in life’s journey.

During his trip to the United States in the 1970’s, the Dalai Lama introduced a novel application of the concept of mind over matter. In his talk to professors and students at Harvard, the Dalai Lama set forth the notion of someone controlling their body temperature with their mind.

Some 16,000 feet up in the mountains of Tibet, it can drop to below freezing temperatures during the wintertime. Wearing only their robes, a group of Tibetan monks have managed to increase the temperature of their skin by eight degrees Celsius using nothing but their minds while their core body temperature remained unchanged. The monks didn’t even shiver and made it seem like it was a walk in the park. They were able to do this by affecting the flow of blood to their brains and the rate at which they metabolize oxygen, thus somehow causing the temperature of their skin to increase.

The mind works in mysterious ways, and some argue that we only use 10 percent of our brains’ capacity to function in everyday life. (Okay, so science doesn’t support that claim, but I’m pretty sure I know at least some people who seem to validate that statistic). It makes one wonder what we could accomplish if we all just applied a bit more of our brain power every day. I get frustrated when someone tells me they can’t do something or just quit trying out of sheer frustration. Many people have gone through diverse challenges in their lives and still managed to come out with their heads held high. I think more people could achieve positive changes in their lives through meditation.

Some argue that through positive thinking or meditation one can cure himself or herself from certain ailments. It is scientifically proven that stress is bad for the body. We only know a fraction of what we would like to about our bodies and minds and how they operate. These Tibetan monks have baffled scientists with their unique ability to keep themselves warm throughout the winter, and we should learn from their experiences and achievements.

Every day, new light is shed on this field of study and, every day, new instances of these sorts of incredible superpowers emerge. It makes you wonder what the world will be like ten years from now. Our minds are G-d’s gift to us; we can use them to our physiological benefit, as we saw with the Tibetan monks, and hopefully someday we may be able to use our minds to make this world a more peaceful place for our children to live in as well.

Knowledge is power, and the knowledge we acquire from others is invaluable. Who knows, maybe ten years from now the knowledge we have acquired from these Tibetan monks can help us cure hypothermia or fevers through a unique combination of science and meditation. We need to open our minds and hearts and absorb the lessons of the world around us.

Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by bitterpenis(m): 1:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
The Rain Man

There are some really incredible people out there that have the extraordinary ability to remember almost everything they see or experience. These unique individuals are rare and each one has a story to share with the world. Some were born with this gift, while others came to possess it following an event or an experience they went through in their lives. Only now do we have the ability to understand through modern science which parts of the brain they use and how they really perceive reality.

We all seem to have photographic memories, the only thing is that more than 99% of us seem to keep running out of film. Our next superhero is Kim Peek, the savant that was the inspiration for the movie ‘The Rain Man,’ starring Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. He remembered absolutely every experience he went through since he was 18 months old.

Kim had an incredible ability to remember almost everything he had experienced in fine detail. He was able to remember shopping lists, flight itineraries, phone numbers, and dates in extraordinary detail. More impressively, he also managed to memorize over 12,000 books word for word.

Kim was able to read two books at the same time, one with each eye. His friends and family found him difficult to deal with at times because he would always find a way to outsmart them, but most of the time having an encyclopedia beside them worked in their favor. Kim never used his gift to gamble, though, as he thought it would be unethical.

Unfortunately, Kim passed away in 2009 from a heart attack. Throughout his life, his father, Fran, stood beside him, showing him around, protecting him, and aiding him in areas of his life where he encountered difficulties due to his poorly developed fine motor skills and autism.

It will be very difficult to find another Savant like Kim Peek. Kim and his father had a bond that many admired. Kim used to say that he and his dad used to share the same shadow. Their love for each other inspired many people from all over the world. Having Kim and his dad share their stories with us all allowed researchers to delve into the lives of savants and better understand their behavior and unique abilities.

Kim and Fran travelled the world to share their stories and educate people about savant syndrome. Their message was one of hope and love and it is estimated that they touched the lives of close to 900,000 people with their story. Many people had written letters thanking Kim and his father for sharing their story with them and telling them how their story created awareness of how to treat people who are different from themselves and how to be more accepting of people with special needs and abilities.

Through education and stories such as Kim’s and Fran’s, we can make this world a better place. We need to eradicate discrimination from our society. The next time you see someone with a disability or who is unique in some other way, approach them and introduce yourself and get to know their story. Who knows, maybe you’ll meet someone famous like Kim who has travelled the world and is a walking encyclopedia.

Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by bitterpenis(m): 1:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
Electric Man, a Real Human Conductor

Okay, so we have all heard of Kung Fu Panda and the incredible things that come out of China. This next person isn’t quite a superhero like Kungfu Panda, but I can say he has an incredible ability. The way he found out about his ability, however, was not the smartest way of doing so.

Ma Xiangang from china has a very interesting trick up his sleeve. Known to some as the ‘Electric Man,’ Ma Xiangang can touch 220 Volt live wires and feel no pain. That’s right, no pain.

Ma Xiangang found out about his unique ability whilst watching TV one day with his wife, when all of a sudden the television stopped working. Just like every clever cookie would do, Ma Xiangang went to see how he could fix it. (Sarcasm warning: Kids, please don’t try this at home).

Without properly assessing the safety situation at his home, Ma Xiangang accidentally touched a live wire. Amazingly, he felt nothing at all and lived to tell his story. It doesn’t stop there. Moments after getting shocked, Ma Xiangang wanted to confirm his unique ability, so he stuck out his hand to touch the wire again in order to make sure that what he felt, or rather didn’t feel, was real. If not for Ma Xiangang’s unique ability, he would likely have received a Darwin Award for his stunt.

What’s even more unbelievable is that Ma Xiangang constantly strives to push his limit by seeing how many Volts his body can handle. He also claims that he is capable of giving someone a diathermic magnetic massage through his unique ability.

According to his medical examination results, Ma Xiangang is capable of handling an electricity wave through his body seven times higher than the average person.

Despite having this incredible ability to handle electricity, many medical practitioners would advise their patients to stay away from such dangerous activities as the ramifications of exposure to (and survival of) such high levels of electricity is unknown. For most people, the risk of electrocution as a result of touching a live wire is extraordinarily high, so don’t try this at home.

However, there are practical applications for Ma Xiangan’s ability as well. If I were his neighbor and I needed an extension cord for my television, but I were too lazy to go out and buy one, I would give my good friend Ma Xiangang a call and ask him to give me a ‘hand’ with the set. Better yet, I wonder if he can convert 220 volts to 110. That would definitely help out when I’m traveling with all of my appliances from the United States.

I urge readers to never play with electricity, it’s dangerous and should be left alone at all times. Should you face a situation where you do have any problems, you should call an electrician or switch off the main power switch and attend to the matter. Ma Xiangang’s decision to touch the electricity a second time to see whether what he experienced could be repeated was really just plain silly.

1 Share

Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by bitterpenis(m): 1:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
The Man that Can Run Forever

Have you ever seen the battery operated “bunny” that just lasts forever and ever? Do you think it’s humanly possible to run forever? You’d think that at some point in time one would get tired and eventually his or her body would request a break.

Dean Karnazes, a long distance runner from the United States, has broken records in every state in the U.S. over 50 consecutive days. If that isn’t enough, he has also run a marathon on every continent on the planet!

Karnazes, ranked one of the top 100 most influential characters back in 2007, is a role model to many. Even after some setbacks in his career, he has gotten back on his feet and has run again in marathons that he couldn’t finish the first time, showing the world that anything is possible.

For some, it’ s hard to comprehend where this super runner gets his strength. After his cross-continental run from New York to San Francisco, which, might I add, he finished within 75 days, doctors were amazed by his condition. They concluded that the muscle damage sustained by Kanazes in his 75 day run was less than that which would be apparent in your average athlete after just one full day or running.

Furthermore, doctors also concluded that if you kept Karnazes hydrated and well fed he would be able to run forever at a ten minutes mile pace. I want to watch the famous bunny compete against Dean Karnazes and see who wins that race.

Karnazes also goes on to say that he has created a formula for “injury-proofing your body”:

No Sitting. Karnazes believes that sitting is bad for your body and posture. In his office and house he has a stand-up desk, which he uses to write emails and work on his book. He believes that there are huge benefits to standing up, as it increases the body’s metabolism for those who exercise regularly.
Constant Crossfit. Whenever he has a few minutes to spare, Karnazes does pushups, chin-ups and sit-ups.
The Right Shoes. Karnazes advises avoiding all fancy-shmancy running shoes. He believes that minimalism is the key to choosing the right pair of shoes.
This superhero is a great example to us all. Life goes on, and it’s never to late to accomplish your dreams. We shape our futures with our willpower, and it’s amazing what our bodies can achieve. Dean Karnazes is a great example to us all and hopefully we can all learn something from his remarkable story.

There is a lot of truth behind the advice that Dean has shared with the world. For instance, some of the world’s greatest leaders refused to sit and believed that the best ideas they had , those that shaped our modern world, came from standing up and being more active. We need to keep our bodies moving, not just from time to time, but on a consistent basis. Being stationary creates all sorts of muscular problems, but exercising regularly and watching our diet can help us live a better lifestyle.

1 Share

Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by bitterpenis(m): 1:35pm On Sep 10, 2014
Girl With X-ray Vision

For most, having ‘superpowers’ is just a dream. For others, it may be a myth. But for these six extraordinary individuals, their superpowers are not just real, they are incredible. We recommend that our readers don’t try to pull any of these stunts at home. The people you are going to read about in the next few posts have extraordinary powers and years of experience.

Natasha Deminka, a Russia citizen, claims to have X-ray vision. She is capable of seeing through the human body and diagnosing patients with all sorts of medical conditions. It all began when Natasha was 10 years old. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, she was able to look inside her mother’s body and examine her mother’s internal organs.

Natasha explains that she has two types of vision: her regular vision and her ‘X-ray’ vision. She claims that she can see people’s internal organs in various colors, which allows her to give the patient a diagnosis of their medical condition. Natasha further states that internal organs that are not functioning properly emit a sort of radiation that her ability allows her to observe.

Despite many people’s skepticisms regarding Natasha’s powers, she has been invited to take part in various television shows and conduct live analysis of patients who have suffered internal complications in the past. Without having prior access to any information regarding the patients’ medical conditions, Natasha was capable of pinpointing their conditions the majority of the time.

Despite all the skeptics, Natasha wants to continue pursuing a medical career and helping others. It’s important to note that Natasha isn’t claiming that she’s a doctor. She still recommends her patients go and seek proper medical attention. Natasha’s ability only compliments the medical profession and until such time as she has a medical doctorate, it should probably remain that way.

Her father claims that they have tried to keep Natasha’s gift out of the public eye for some time, but they have fallen victim to the media, which has resulted in many people coming to their house for a diagnosis. It has also resulted in a fair amount of fame for Natasha since many people are intrigued by her unique ability.

Now, Natasha and her family are seeking support from credible people and institutions who can verify Natasha’s abilities and give her the credibility that she deserves.

It’s a little bit difficult to determine what exactly Natasha sees as there is no objective data regarding her ability. For now, all we can do is take the word of the people she has diagnosed and the research that is currently taking place regarding her ability and that of others like her. If what she says and sees is true, I think it’s rather cool to have ‘X-ray’ vision, and I wonder if it can be put to good use in other areas of medicine such as veterinary science.

There may be other practical applications as well. I wonder if Natasha could use her powers playing poker and see other players cards. Regardless of all the skepticism, Natasha has chosen the right path. No matter what means she decides to use, whether its modern science or her natural ability to delve into the human body, she is helping people and we therefore need to give her credit.

1 Share

Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by bitterpenis(m): 1:35pm On Sep 10, 2014
Girl Lifts Car To Save Her Father

Most of us would do anything for our loved ones. It doesn’t matter how far away they are or how difficult it may be, family and close friends (and in some cases even strangers) will be there for one another through thick and thin. The following story shows just how far the human body can be pushed when it comes to saving the people we love.

Lauren is a 22-year-old basketball student and trained lifeguard. One day, as she came home from work, she heard a huge thump coming from the driveway of her family’s home. She quickly rushed to the scene and saw her father being crushed by the family car.

Miraculously, out of her love for her dad, all this adrenaline ran throughout her body allowed her to do the unthinkable. She grabbed the corner of the car and somehow managed to lift it off of her father and move him to safety.

Lauren realized that she needed to administer CPR to her father and get his heart beating. She was her fathers life support. If Lauren hadn’t trained to be a lifeguard and learned the techniques for administering CPR, who knows where her father would be today.

Two days later, Lauren visited her grateful father in the hospital as he was recovering from his injuries with a huge smile on his face. He was able to get up and walk again and give her a huge hug for saving his life.

Although Lauren doesn’t have superpowers as such – there are many similar stories of mothers and fathers lifting heavy objects to save the lives of their children – she certainly performed an amazing feat. Nobody can explain what Lauren has experienced, and if you asked her to do it again she’d probably tell you that she can’t. She herself doesn’t understand the miracle that she was able to perform. The fact of the matter is that she managed to save her father’s life and for that he is forever grateful.

These last six individuals have truly remarkable abilities and each one has touched the lives of many. But the truth is, you don’t really need to have super strengths to be a superhero. It’s what’s in the heart that truly matters. Earlier this week, I saw a husband-wife team pack groceries into twenty backpacks and drive around and start handing the backpacks out to homeless people. They are heroes. Some readers may recall the recent story of a police officer who bought baby food for a mother who was caught shop lifting baby formula. To me, these people are the true superheroes who set examples for us all.

It’s not only people who can help out in a pinch, however. Some major corporations also chip in and do their part, donating millions of dollars each for medical research, sanitation, combatting hunger, and cleaning water. The world we live in is a network within itself. Our actions affect each individual around us. By just smiling at someone, you could change his or her view of life completely. If we all do our part (and I always say that deeds can’t be measured in size), we can make this world a better place. We are now paving the way for the future. We need to ask ourselves every day what kind of a world we want to live in and what we can do to bring about the change we desire.

http://blogglez.com/6-real-people-with-real-life-superpowers/

1 Share

Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by yungchop: 2:01pm On Sep 10, 2014
So I should believe abi?? Anyway, I'll say what's on my mind when its knacks front page #BuukD
Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by Exmay(m): 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
Xyle XY comes readily to mind...
Re: 6 Real People With Real Life Superpowers by Blakjewelry(m): 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2014
I won't believe most of them until It was proven beyond all reason doubt, but I have watch a documentary on a Chinese guy that can pull out hot fried piece from a hot oil. he said he first notice it when hot oil poured on him and his skin was not burn.

(1) (Reply)

(pic) What I Saw Today Along My Street: Native Doctors Tricks / Dreaded Nigerian Fraudster In China / Answer The Question And Win Airtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.