Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions (672 Views)

UNIBEN Produces Heads Of 8 Tertiary Institutions In One Year / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions by Acidosis(m): 5:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
From my observation, government incentive/allocation to our tertiary schools is the reason for the high unemployment rate in the country.
Government funding has caused so many undue competition. 10,000 Graduates shouldn't be applying for 10 jobs. 1st Class graduates shouldn't be counting money over-the-counter. Why should we turn our Lawyers to Caretakers in the name of cheap education?

"Everyone believes that publicly funded education is good". But Wait! Why?

1."Schools have substantial non-financial benefits"
This argument assumes that people who forgo schooling are uneducated. It is weaker in the Wikipedia era. Kids are naturally curious, and they now have access to unlimited and inexpensive information. And this same argument could be used to justify free Internet for all, which would be considerably cheaper than free/subsidized schools.

2. "If it costed hundreds of thousands of dollars to complete a Ph.D., nobody would do it"
Assuming that there is any demand at all for Ph.D.s, people with a Ph.D. would receive much higher salaries if fewer people have them. These higher salaries would entice more students to complete a Ph.D.
Why should we flood Ekiti state with Ph.Ds with nothing to show for the efforts.

3. "Poor people are unable to get an education without government funding"
Students who can borrow the money, ought to be willing to do so if the expected return on their education investment far exceeds the interest rates charged by the bank or a private investor. True: Some students who show little promise, and have few resources, would be unable to get a university degrees. Is that fair? Is it fair that only the most promising engineers get a job with Google? Is it fair that my wife is more beautiful than yours? Is it fair that kids go hungry in the richest country in the world? Is it fair that Delta state's yearly allocation doubles my state - Kogi allocation?

4. "To make our corporations more competitive.”
By funding higher institutions, governments entice more students to study which artificially boosts the supply of graduates. In turn, this lowers the salaries of these same graduates.

Presently, only few private secondary schools in Lagos are willing to pay fresh graduates (Bachelors) N28,000+ monthly - A pay an NCE graduate shouldn't even accept in a sane society.

Corporations benefit from these lower wages while they only contribute a small fraction of the cost. Therefore, public schools are equivalent to subsidizing corporations. Any country that would stop funding higher education without a corresponding immigration policy, would see a rise in the wages of graduates. This would be unfavorable to corporations which rely on degrees to select employees. But corporations do not have to hire graduates. Most corporate jobs are a form of paper pushing. They could easily replace degrees with less expensive certifications and secondary/technical qualifications.

Many do not go to university to learn. That’s just a byproduct. People go to university because they are told in secondary school that they need a degree to get a good job and get paid. Therefore, let only those who are ready spend & take risks via specialized education loan (and scholarships) attend higher institutions. Make Secondary and Technical schools more attractive, subsidized and compulsory; and close/regulate the disparity between public and private primary/secondary tuition.

This is not about promoting the rich. With or without trust funds, they already have the admission, the connections and the sweet jobs. Lets save our society; lets save our future.

Reference:
1. http://lemire.me/blog/archives/2011/03/16/governments-should-stop-funding-higher-education/
2.Wikipedia

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
is not fair.
Re: States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions by Acidosis(m): 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
krall: is not fair.
Why?
Re: States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions by Project400: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2014
Interesting points.

1 Like

Re: States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions by smithsammy(m): 9:00am On Sep 11, 2014
I do not concur with you op. I presumed the owner of this write up is from ekiti - the most greedy and dubious people on earth. You are there searching for collar job while your mates are creating jobs through their creativity. I hate seeing the ekitians tagging their selves the most educated people in Nigeria when they have nothing to show for it. Only in Ekiti you will see at least 10 jobless graduate busy with the drafting of petitions and waiting for political appointment. It's only in Ekiti that they are taught to be an employee and not an employer.

Education is said to be a means of personal development - to know the rights from wrong. Education is said to help you make smart and creative moves. Education aids invention. Through education, you solve real life problems, but in ekiti state, contrary is the case.
News abounds of students from other state institutions creating, innovating, and inventing to make Nigeria proud. What has the so called institutions in ekiti state got to offer. Ekitians obtaining certicates to hunt for unavailable job since 1005BC
Re: States & Federal Governments Should Stop Funding Tertiary Institutions by Acidosis(m): 3:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
smithsammy: I do not concur with you op. I presumed the owner of this write up is from ekiti - the most greedy and dubious people on earth. You are there searching for collar job while your mates are creating jobs through their creativity. I hate seeing the ekitians tagging their selves the most educated people in Nigeria when they have nothing to show for it. Only in Ekiti you will see at least 10 jobless graduate busy with the drafting of petitions and waiting for political appointment. It's only in Ekiti that they are taught to be an employee and not an employer.

Education is said to be a means of personal development - to know the rights from wrong. Education is said to help you make smart and creative moves. Education aids invention. Through education, you solve real life problems, but in ekiti state, contrary is the case.
News abounds of students from other state institutions creating, innovating, and inventing to make Nigeria proud. What has the so called institutions in ekiti state got to offer. Ekitians obtaining certicates to hunt for unavailable job since 1005BC

You can still make your points known without insulting anyone.

(1) (Reply)

Candidates Records 74.3% Pass In NECO / RUGIPO Post-utme Screening Result For 2014/2015 Out / Breaking News! Prof. Olusoga Olusanya, Dvc, Tasued, Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.