Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Have You Been Bitten By The Self-Righteous Bug? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Have You Been Bitten By The Self-Righteous Bug? (531 Views)

The Righteous Pastors In Sierra Leone / Are You Born Again, Then You Are Righteous, Justified. / Who Are The Self-declared Non-believer? Resources For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Have You Been Bitten By The Self-Righteous Bug? by zboyd: 7:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
20 Easy Ways To Be A Self-Righteous Christian
by Sammy Adebiyi

Lust is fairly easy to spot in the mirror. So is gossip and selfishness. Probably bitterness too. Self-righteousness? Well, that's so much harder to pick out of a line-up because often times it seems, feels, smells and talks like godliness. Ever wonder why the most self-righteous people in the New Testament were religious leaders? Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if self-righteousness isn't the hardest thing for a Christian to see in the mirror. What was that? You wish there was some kind of "how to know if you're self-righteous guide" written by a dread-head pastor from Africa? Well, folks, it's your lucky day.

Below are 20 quick ways to know if you've been bitten by the self-righteous bug.

1. It's normal for you to think you have or know " something" spiritually no one else around you has or knows. You also often feel like you have an "up" on others.

2. You assume or expect many people to look up to you because you're #1.

3. It's not uncommon for you to walk into a room full of Christians and think "they don't get it."

4. People are far often more offended by YOU and and your delivery than they are your actual message.

5. You guilt far more people to action than you inspire. You're right. They're always wrong. You have the discernment to tell who is going to Heaven or Hell and, no one dare challenge you.

6. You say things on Facebook about your faith and Christians that you'd never say in person.

7. You have no problem quickly questioning people's faith—i.e., you've posted a Facebook status or tweet that contained the following sentence: "I don't believe a Christian would …"

8. You never share your weaknesses or when you do, it always has a nice bow at the end of it.

9. You have a hard time relating to those who "don't get it."

10. You think the world would be a better place if everyone was like you.

11. You think your calling should be THE primary calling for all Christians, and deep down you believe it's the litmus test for true Christianity.

12. You assume the worst about people, and when you challenge others it's always, "You need to" and not, "We need to."

13. You actually secretly like and enjoy annoying and ticking off others when you challenge them. You anticipate it. It gives you a rush to tick everyone off. To set off a grenade in the room. (P.S.: Yes, I know Jesus ticked people off, but I don't think he enjoyed it.)

14. You're very slow to deflect praise when God uses you to make a difference.

15. You wear your good works on your sleeve, and you make sure everyone knows how you're making a difference.

16. You rarely publicly say sorry and you get so defensive when people challenge you or your delivery.

17. Your cheering section is only people in your camp. No one who disagrees with you cheers you on.

18. You're reading this list and getting SUPER defensive, or you're having imaginary conversations in your head where you're arguing with me and I'm losing.

19. You're reading this list and thinking, "None of this is me—I'm awesome."

20. People are intimidated by you, and you actually like that.

21. When you hear a convicting sermon, your first thought is, "I wish so-and-so were here to hear this."

22. You're mad that my title said 20 things and I just wrote 22. smiley

Alright, folks, if you've made it this far—congrats.

Good news: If you can identify with some of this list, you're not alone. Welcome to the club. Be encouraged because God is not finished with us. This is just another part of the sanctification process.

Bad news: If you can't identify with anything on this list and you think it's for "others," you're probably more self-righteous than you realize.

What would you like to add or highlight from the list? How have you seen any of these play out in you or others?
Sammy grew up in Nigeria. He is currently the Young Adult Pastor at North Point Church. He's also a national speaker for The Mocha Club. He lives in Ohio with his wife Ashley, daughter Bebe and Saint Bernards MJ and Milo.

(1) (Reply)

Four Important Distinctions We Need To Know / Biblical Discussion: Where Is The Heart? / Does Anyone Want To Guess Whose Idea It Was To Close All Threads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.