Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Some Common Laptop Repair Questions - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Common Laptop Repair Questions (4098 Views)

Laptop Repair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Common Laptop Repair Questions by ernestii: 9:32am On Sep 11, 2014
[center][size=18pt]SOME COMMON LAPTOP REPAIR QUESTIONS[/size][/center]

Q: Would love to know how you diagnose motherboards on a component level. What tools do you use?

A: I find it is very hard to explain this. actually, it is very simple and can be described in two words: current and signal. read the current change during booting tells you where the machine stopped. check the signals on the different part of motherboard tells what is wrong or what may missing.

Tools are: smd rework station, bga rework station, power supply has current meter. all the rest tools you can find in any radio tv repair shop. of course all the datasheets for the components, especially the schematic diagram, you will find it much difficult without it.

Q:What are common faults on mainboards?

Do certain components fail? Is there a trend as to which parts fail quite often?

A: Different maker/model has different common fault. Toshiba S1 is vga chip, and can’t be repaired(well, almost can’t be repaired because the pcb quality is not very good so successful rate is very low).

HP DV2000, 6000, 9000, Compaq v3000, v6000, dell 1210, all those use nvidia chips have problem on vga chip or north bridge. easy to repair but have to make fan keep spinning after repaired, otherwise will break down in 1 or 2 week again.

hp nx5000, cpu pwm chip dry joint. acer 290, cpu pwm dry joint.
hp dv1000, Compaq m2000 protection circuit easy to blow up.
IBM t40 vga dry joint problem.

These are just few of them. every machine has its own common fault. but dry joint is the common problem for all machines. Motherboard repair is not as difficult as people thought, I think much easer than repair a tv.

Q:Dell 1525 Inspiron that says system does not recognize the installed battery this system will not charge the battery.

A:Charging battery in Dell laptop involves two major chips: EC(or someone call it super IO), PWM chip for battery charging. BIOS has no part of charging. Battery communicate with EC through SMB(system management bus??) and EC controls charging PWM. Fix charging problem is very hard in laptop repair, you must fully understand schematics, where all the signals come from and where to go.

Today’s laptops are less and less with programmed EC, Dell 1525 has no programmed EC so it can be replaced with same model.

Q: How I fix a DV6 with power problem. The problem of machine is it cannot power up at all.

Doing routine check:

1. system power: 3V, 5V all presented – OK
2. NBSWON signal: 3. 3V presented – OK
3. press power button, NBSWON pull down to 0V, OK
4. check DNBSWON while press power button, no response. – problem.

in here I made a mistake, I didn’t pay attention of the voltage of DNBSWON, this mistake waste me the next few days time. It should be 3. 3V, but only about 1V.

Change EC as usual, because I thought the EC has problem. Then the big trouble comes – it auto power up once I plug in the power but stop in 0. 04A current. Check and find no S5_ON signal, which indicate south bridge has problem, so change south bridge. But still same problem and still no S5_ON. I find that the EC I change is kb3926A rather than kb3926C. In most case, this is no problem but in very rare occasion…

So I find a 3926C and put on. Now the motherboard is back to the same problem while I first start to check! So I change a wrong EC and this time I change a correct one, and also EC has no problem!

Because EC will start to read bios once the power plug in(not as people think, once you press power button). I check BIOS chip, BIOS_CS should have a continue wave form but it just one straight line. BIOS chip is faulty, I replace the BIOS chip and it works perfect.

Laptop Motherboard Ic chip Removal Process

How to replace tiny ic chips in a Laptop motherboard.

Look at Burnt ic chip on the motherboard.
The laptop would not turn on.
Take a closer view of the burnt ic chip…
Bad chip needs to be replaced.

Learn how to replace bad ic chip on the laptop motherboard
IC chip is soldered to motherboard and the laptop now works fine.
if a chip is dead just replace it!!.

Advance ic chip removal process

How to remove ic chip with 102 pins.

1st) Remove the chip
The chip is removed then find the same chip from another motherboard.
Place Flux around the new chip in order to help with the soldering.
The contacts need to be free of solder so the pins can’t short. Use the soldering iron to
brush away excess solder from the joints.
The old chip is removed. The new chip is now in place.

*Ensure that the version number on the old chip is the same as the new chip.

If you liked this, please share and order for the complete eBook. Thanks!
For more laptop repair ebook, contact: internetinfowealthtech@gmail. com

This is an extract from the complete ebook: [size=18pt]LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD FAULT FINDER[/size]. The complete eBook provides a comprehensive overview of how to find and repair laptop common faults. This eBook in fully packed with over 125 full coloured pages with pictures for easy understanding to both the highly-tech and low-tech individuals. Great for beginners.

Below are some of the knowledge contained the eBook.
• Laptop Motherboard Component Overview
• Troubleshooting Laptop Motherboard Problems
• How to replace tiny sound ic chips in a Laptop motherboard
• Checking Voltage and Short Circuits with Multimeter
• Testing for Backlight or Inverter Failure
• Recovering Laptop Hard Drive Files With A USB Shell
• How To Fix Failed Nvidia Chip
• And Much More

[center]"Want To Learn PC And Laptop repair Now"
If You're Sick And Tired Of The Lockups, Bootup Failures, Upgrade Problems, Those Slowdowns,
Drive Failures, Memory Low, Video Problems. . . ?
Don't Put Up With Potential PC Failure When You Can Start Viewing In-Depth, Step By Step, Detailed,
Powerful eBook That Teaches You PC Repair Starting. . . Right Now. . !!![/center]

Now Available For Sales
{sorry I couldn't attach images along with the post, please visit the link for full article: {[url]internetinfowealthtech..com[/url]}
Join now and unlock your technical hurdles!

FREE LAPTOP REPAIR EBOOKS ALSO AVAILABLE ON DEMAND
Re: Some Common Laptop Repair Questions by kentochi(m): 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2014
@op
i want learn
laptop repair do help me
will need the e-book
Re: Some Common Laptop Repair Questions by ernestii: 11:59am On Sep 18, 2014
if you need the ebooks, please kindly visit the website on the post or send email to: internetinfowealthtech@gmail.com

We have an ebook called Laptop Bible for beginners. just request for it.
Re: Some Common Laptop Repair Questions by omasco92(m): 2:53pm On Oct 23, 2014
Am Omasan from delta state,
23yrs.
Currently leaving in delta, am a computer engn. I learn the computer engr skill when I was in Edo state. Currently am having challenge especially on laptop motherboard, please sir. am planing to come to lagos for extra training. Please sir i need your assistant.

I will like to hear from you sir.
Re: Some Common Laptop Repair Questions by ernestii: 11:36pm On Oct 29, 2014
Hello Omasan,

Thanks for reading my posts and having interest in more advance laptop repairs.
Unfortunately, we only recommend ebooks to engineers since they can easily understand the basics.
We have various advance laptop motherboard repairs ebooks. You can email us at: internetinfowealthtech@gmail.com
Hope for hear from you again. Thanks
Re: Some Common Laptop Repair Questions by printeralign(m): 10:56am On Apr 29, 2020
To resolve HP Laptop issues you can also contact the HP Customer Service USA team.

(1) (Reply)

3.5KVA 48volts Luminous Inverter For Sale. / Android Users Delete These Apps From Your Phone / Put Your Family's Safety First: Technology To Change PHCN Cutout Automatically

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.