Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,380 members, 7,954,542 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:44 PM

Five Reasons Why Your Writing Matters (part One) By Ali Hale - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Five Reasons Why Your Writing Matters (part One) By Ali Hale (587 Views)

How To Finish What You Start: A Five-step Plan For Writers By Ali Luke / Eight Simple Tips For Editing Your Own Work (part 2) Written By Ali Luke / Eight Simple Tips For Editing Your Own Work (part 1) Written By Ali Luke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Reasons Why Your Writing Matters (part One) By Ali Hale by TRWConsult(m): 9:37am On Sep 11, 2014
Do you ever think about giving up writing?
You’ve been working on a novel, but you’re afraid it’s never going to be good enough. Your short stories never win competitions. Your poetry hasn’t been published.
Even your blog only has a handful of readers.
It’s easy to feel disheartened – especially if you don’t have much support from friends or family. Perhaps your partner just doesn’t get writing, or your friends tease you about it.
Don’t give up.
Your writing does matter. Even if you’ve never shown a piece of your work to anyone, even if you know that publication is a distant dream, it’s still worth writing.
Here’s why.

#1: It’s Not Just a Hobby

Non-writers often think that writing is some casual hobby – and not a very productive one at that. After all, you might sweat for days on a story, and it still might not get published. If you took up knitting instead, you’d at least have a lumpy scarf or a pair of socks to show for your effort.

Writing isn’t just a hobby, though. It’s a calling. Writers don’t pick up the pen (or turn to the keyboard) because they’re bored – they do it because they feel compelled to put their thoughts down on the page.

Your writing is part of who you are, and it’s not something to take lightly.

If you want to make sure your writing is more than just a hobby, read 7 Habits of Serious Writers.

#2: Your Writing Can Outlive You

We’re all going to die one day. Of course, memories live on – but eventually, there’ll be no-one alive who ever knew you.

Your writing may well outlive you. Perhaps you’ve not got an audience for your memoir right now … but it could be an incredible treasure for your great-great-grandchildren. And if you’re a poet, playwright or novelist, you might find that your work lives on long after your death. Just think of Chaucer, Shakespeare and Dickens.

Your name could be one that every school child knows in three hundred years’ time.

Want to write your life story and get it published? Start with Are You Writing a Memoir?

#3: You Can Change Lives

Most of us have a pretty small circle of influence: family, friends, colleagues, our local community. Writing, though, lets us reach across the world. If you have a blog – even a blog with ten readers – you’re touching other people’s lives.

It always makes my day when I get an email or comment telling me how much one of my blog posts meant to someone. Often, I’ll hear “this came at just the right time for me”.

Your writing could change someone’s life, by opening up new possibilities for them, by teaching them something new, or simply by giving them an experience that they wouldn’t otherwise have had.

If you want to start reaching more people, read Aren’t You Blogging Yet?

(1) (Reply)

Iris Reading - Memory Improvement Course / The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller(cbs).....a New Series / Broken Heroes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.