Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,923 members, 7,952,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:07 PM

Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV (1568 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by taurus21: 7:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
DStv, the main digital satellite television provider in sub-Saharan Africa, says it will not introduce pay per view television any time soon despite persistent calls for the service in Nigeria and elsewhere on the continent.
Due to constant electricity power cuts, many DStv customers have been pushing for the continental satellite television service provider to bill them for the hours they consume and do away with the current flat rate system.
But Nico Meyer, the chief executive officer of MultiChoice Africa, the operator of the DStv Satellite Television service, told an entertainment content conference that ended in Mauritius at the weekend that his organisation currently had no capacity to put in place such a facility.
“We procure content on a monthly basis, we don’t procure it based on the time the consumer will be using it, but on an entire month,” said Meyer.
The MultiChoice Africa boss added that, unlike mobile operators and electricity companies, they were unable to detect when their subscribers are actually using their service.
“If you buy airtime and you consume it they will deduct it because they can tell.
“But we cannot tell when someone is travelling or not using it.
“All I know is that someone pays on a monthly basis and we make that service available but I cannot tell if you are consuming the service,” he said.
Meyer also revealed that national tax policies are the main reasons why subscription rates vary from country to country.
“People might think that Nigeria has slightly lower rates because they have high numbers in subscriptions, but contrary to popular belief Nigeria does not have the highest number of subscribers.
“The reason for the different subscription rates is due to the countries’ taxation regimes.
“Each country has different taxes hence the different subscription rates.”
Caroline Creasy, MultiChoice Africa General Manager Corporate Affairs, also ruled out the pay per view facility.
“We can’t switch on and switch off when you travel, but what we have done is to create services that help you to catch up with what you would have missed.
“If you are a premium subscriber you can download or stream any of the programmes.”. Source: http://www.dailynews.co.zw/articles/2014/06/30/dstv-rules-out-pay-per-view-tv
Re: Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by MabraO: 7:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
Will I make it again? Time will tell

With this thought alone I know soon the pay per view system will kick off in Nigeria
All this talk na formality
Re: Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by nairamaverick(m): 7:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
well then they should provide a more flexible subscription. a weekly or bi weekly plan...

1 Like

Re: Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by Ameboperoo(m): 7:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
hnmm
Re: Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
if only pay per view was possible in nigeria, one month subscription will last up to 3 months for me
Re: Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by sainty2k3(m): 10:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Pls which country is ur highest subscriber if you say its not Nigeria? This very ungrateful people are just cheating us. Nothing can make me believed that cock and bull story
Re: Dstv Rules Out Pay Per View TV by obo389(m): 11:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
angry angry
thieves.they shd pack their load and leav 9ja.is it hw thy run it in SA? angry

(1) (Reply)

What Is Media 7 Network??? / . / Help Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.