Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" (736 Views)

6 Annoying Daily Hustles of a University student / Where Jamb Got It Wrong And Better Suggestions.... / 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by soldierdollar(m): 9:26am On Sep 12, 2014
I have come across a lot of posts , especially here on nairaland with the wrong use of the article, "an." These people have been inclined to believe that any word that begins with the letter "h" should be proceeded with the article ,"an" . I don't know if it annoys you but it annoys me a lot angry . These are the few cases I can remember :

1. My brother bought an house in a swampy area of Lagos
2. He became an hero by saving the small boy from the fire .
3. We had an heated argument over which of the celebrities was more beautiful .

This can slow down a reader's comprehension; he keeps repeating the sentence , wondering if he's missing something

The funny thing is that these set of guys will be free styling with it thinking they're speaking advanced English angry

Am not an English teacher , in fact I studied electrical engineering but I have come to make this little observation and wish every culprit takes correction .

1 Like

Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by lonngmann(m): 9:49am On Sep 12, 2014
There is something not so clear abt the use of 'an'. it seems it depends on the sound dat starts the noun it is used with rather than the first letter as most of us were taught. I remember dat at the end of dis mnet series 'edge of paradise' they do write 'An Mnet Production'
I stand to be corrected doh, I am not an English student, I am studying an engineering course too.

2 Likes

Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by Rexphobia(m): 9:50am On Sep 12, 2014
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/540/01/

I totally agree with you "an" can only prefix vowels(a e i o u).

But the issue is, when you pronounce, house /haʊs/ like /aʊs/ then "an" will normally come in.

I also have this challenge especially while conversing.

Indefinite Articles: a and an

"A" and "an" signal that the noun modified is indefinite, referring to any member of a group. For example:

"My daughter really wants a dog for Christmas." This refers to any dog. We don't know which dog because we haven't found the dog yet."Somebody call a policeman!" This refers to any policeman. We don't need a specific policeman; we need any policeman who is available."When I was at the zoo, I saw an elephant!" Here, we're talking about a single, non-specific thing, in this case an elephant. There are probably several elephants at the zoo, but there's only one we're talking about here.

Remember, using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word. So...a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dogan + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphana + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicyclean + nouns starting with silent "h": an hour
a + nouns starting with a pronounced "h": a horse 

In some cases where "h" is pronounced, such as "historical," you can use an. However, a is more commonly used and preferred.

2 Likes

Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by soldierdollar(m): 10:02am On Sep 12, 2014
lonngmann: There is something not so clear abt the use of 'an'. it seems it depends on the sound dat starts the noun it is used with rather than the first letter as most of us were taught. I remember dat at the end of dis mnet series 'edge of paradise' they do write 'An Mnet Production'
I stand to be corrected doh, I am not an English student, I am studying an engineering course too.

Yes . it is the sound that determines the use the article and not the letter. It is normally used when the sound is vowel .. "An Mnet " is correct owing to the fact that "Mnet" is pronounced "Emnet"

1 Like

Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by soldierdollar(m): 10:11am On Sep 12, 2014
Front page please
Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by adebrave1(m): 10:41am On Sep 12, 2014
English is 200% harder than Mathematics but people will not agree, I prefer My mother tongue either, everyday I check My dictionary to learn new words.

Philosophy and English students I hail oooo.
Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by zoeee(f): 11:05am On Sep 12, 2014
lonngmann: There is something not so clear abt the use of 'an'. it seems it depends on the sound dat starts the noun it is used with rather than the first letter as most of us were taught. I remember dat at the end of dis mnet series 'edge of paradise' they do write 'An Mnet Production'
well, u ar correct. it all depends on the initial sound' not the ' initial letter'. This poses a lot of problem to yoruba - English bilinguals or Nigerians who understand and interact more with the Yoruba language. E.g inappropriate use of silent" h" ...
Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by semid4lyfe(m): 11:52am On Sep 12, 2014
soldierdollar:
Am not an English teacher , in fact I studied electrical engineering but I have come to make this little observation and wish every culprit takes correction .

You should also take correction for 'Am'. It should be I'm
Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by Lordave: 2:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
These is very interesting!

But why are everybody denying being a English student? Are you all afraid of been proven wrong after your contributions and instances? Nobody would laugh at you if you admitted to be studying English just like I. We are all learning

Other instances
A European
An hounour
A etc
Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by soldierdollar(m): 2:44pm On Sep 12, 2014
semid4lyfe:

You should also take correction for 'Am'. It should be I'm

Thanks . Next time , include "I'm" as a quotation too and end your sentences with a full stop
Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by emperortony: 10:25pm On Sep 15, 2014
I thought I was the only one having this problem, was contemplating opening a topic for it. mostly when I use the word "honest" eg. He is an honest man. Most time I think am correct, and at other times I think am wrong. Good to know I might be correct since it depends on the first sound it produce. Thanks to the op and all other posters with their useful comments.

1 Like

Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by tosyne2much(m): 7:56am On Sep 16, 2014
It's of no doubt that 'an' goes with vowels but you know there are some exceptions in English language... The word ''an'' can go with a word that starts with consonant provided it starts with a vowel sound... Take for example '' an honest man '', the word 'honest' started with a vowel pronunciation. (aw), therefore it goes with 'an'

1 Like

Re: The Wrong And Annoying Use Of The Article " An" by soldierdollar(m): 10:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
tosyne2much: It's of no doubt that 'an' goes with vowels but you know there are some exceptions in English language... The word ''an'' can go with a word that starts with consonant provided it starts with a vowel sound... Take for example '' an honest man '', the word 'honest' started with a vowel pronunciation. (aw), therefore it goes with 'an'

Nice one

(1) (Reply)

Top 100 Universities In Nigeria 2014 / Please Help Me Advise My Friend! / 3gb Cheat Rocking For Mtn Users For Just =N=20 Sweet Die.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.