Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do (15241 Views)

EcoBank Sacks 50 Top Managers / Is Institute Of Professional Managers And Administrators Of Nigeria Real Or Not / Primavera(P6) Training For Project Managers And Planners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Lovexme(m): 12:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
I know a bad manager angry
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by kendrick93(m): 12:38pm On Sep 12, 2014
nt gat tym to read all dis long tory. pls u guys should start makun ur point short and straight to d point.
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by tbmas(m): 12:39pm On Sep 12, 2014
Just wat i read frm a course ystdae, a nice xplanatn .bt it is also important 2 note that this creates an impression on the workers that the leader cnt seem to handle any situation widout seeking dre consent,they feel d manager is fond of abdicating responsibility..... The workers myt also feel been disturbd evrytym a decision wants 2 mde in d org,and wen dy are nt consentd at a tym,dy feel left out. it is also important to nte that time is nt on the side of org,............ All these doesnt mke d wrks of great managers bad,its still ok 2 act great.
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by learnine: 12:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
obeenah40: I would pick a female bad manager anytime, anywhere
Reason pls....
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 12, 2014

1 Like

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 12, 2014
new possibilities!

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by okzcorp: 1:17pm On Sep 12, 2014
tbmas: Just wat i read frm a course ystdae, a nice xplanatn .bt it is also important 2 note that this creates an impression on the workers that the leader cnt seem to handle any situation widout seeking dre consent,they feel d manager is fond of abdicating responsibility..... The workers myt also feel been disturbd evrytym a decision wants 2 mde in d org,and wen dy are nt consentd at a tym,dy feel left out. it is also important to nte that time is nt on the side of org,............ All these doesnt mke d wrks of great managers bad,its still ok 2 act great.

Good one dear, buh the positive effects of involving your workforce in decision making far outweighs what you consider as the flaws. It doesn't make you the manager any weaker or incapable of taking sole decisions. Nowadays there is a trend that determines the success of a company, its called HIGH EQ. A great manager possess it.

1 Like

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 12, 2014
kennygee: Slow day today.

I tell you! And I thought I was the only one feeling that way!
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by WoodcrestMayor(m): 2:06pm On Sep 12, 2014
Great managers have a quality other dont have-Empathy.
Being able to sense your subordinate needs and reacting based on this is enough motivation for some.They feel a sense of security that their boss is keeping an eye out for them.
Also,engaging in personality study to get the best out of them.Same strategy cant be used on every employee.Some employees are very laid-back;barking at these pple might just be the formula...#IornFist

TIM LaHaYE's "Why You Act the Way You Do" offers great insight on personality.
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by ndiuwa: 2:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Am a manager atimes I see myself doing all the above, so were I come belong naa?
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 12, 2014
Nicee write-up...When u bring ur employees togeda to make decisions instead of controln dem,u make dem trust and appreciate u d more and eventually,no1 myt av a bad mind against u...
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by numen(m): 3:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
learnine: Bad managers tell employees what to do, good managers explain why they need to do it, but great managers involve people in decision making and improvement."

There might be more to management to that, but I think that's a pretty good start. "Lean management," or the Toyota management system, encourages leaders to live in that "good to great" range (with apologies to Jim Collins).

Bad managers bark orders. They are directive and tell employees what to do, without any explanation or context. I saw a lot of that style of management quite often during my first two years at General Motors (read my previous post about that experience) and the workplace was incredibly dysfunctional, as a result.

There are top-down, "command and control" managers in every type of workplace, unfortunately. Managers who are controlling and have all the answers want their employees to "check their brains at the door," and often say so quite explicitly — or they spread that message in more subtle ways.

At GM, front-line employees complained that they were "hired for their backs and their arms, not their brains." In hospitals, healthcare professionals (even those with master's degrees) have complained, "They just want us to do what we're told." This is not a recipe for quality, productivity, or good customer service.

A friend of mine lives in a high-rise condo building. One example of "telling" was the general manager telling employees that the doors to the resident gym must now be kept closed at all times. For years, previously, the doors had been left open unless a resident wanted privacy and chose to close them.

My friend asked one of the employees, "Why are the doors closed all of the time now?" The employee replied, "I don't know, [the manager] just told us to."

It's disrespectful to just give directives without letting people understand the reason(s) why. There might have very well been a good reason why the doors were now to be kept closed. Had the manager taken just a few minutes to share a reason why, the employees would feel better about themselves and would more likely keep the doors closed. If employees are following directives out of a fear of being "written up," they aren't in a position to provide great service.

A good condo manager would explain why the doors now need to be closed. And, if there wasn't a good reason why, they wouldn't force the change on a whim.

A great condo manager would involve the employees in coming up with solutions to whatever problem is being solved by keeping the doors closed. The employees, when being posed with the problem, might come up with the idea of "close the doors" or they might come up with something better. Either way, they would feel a greater sense of ownership over the idea since they were involved in its creation.

During my time at GM, the better of the two plant managers I worked for taught us that Lean leaders (in the style of Toyota leaders) will always explain why something must be done, in those rare instances when they have to give a directive. The dynamic changes from "thou shalt wear safety gloves (because I'm the boss and I told you so)" to "you must wear safety gloves (because it's necessary for your safety and we don't want you to get hurt, even though you might think there is little risk)."

Bad managers tell. Good managers explain why.

Great managers go beyond this.

Great managers might engage the employees in figuring out how to reduce the safety risk that makes gloves necessary in the first place. Maybe an employee would suggest that a different, but equally effective, chemical be used. We don't know unless we engage our employees.

In 90% of workplace situations, I'd guess, the manager shouldn't be telling people what to do, even if they are making the effort to explain why. Great managers engage people in designing their work and they continue to engage them in ongoing improvement. As I learned from former Toyota employees and the books of Taiichi Ohno, work procedures "should not be forced down from above but rather set by the production workers themselves."

This mindset and approach requires that leaders set aside their egos and century-old habits. of top-down management. Managers won't have all of the answers. Instead of dictating how things get done (and expecting obedience and compliance), managers need to work together with employees to define how the work is done. Managers need to ask employees what ideas they have for improving the workplace, through the practice of "Kaizen."

Our employees are adults and they deserve our respect. They deserve great leaders who can work together to help everybody succeed and do what's best for their customers (or residents).
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140911010334-81312-what-bad-managers-good-managers-and-great-managers-do

1 Like

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by slydog(m): 3:22pm On Sep 12, 2014
I've worked under two managers, male and female.
My first manager, the male is an " everybody's guy" he runs open door policy, people go to him and he makes himself available. Even the janitors will say funny fine about him and laugh it off. At the close of work everyday after the heat and tension, he just has a way of coming to make everyone relaxed, laughs and yabs us. Learning and growth? You must learn under him, not that he even knows it, he will force you to learn it, call anybody to learn it and gets the work done through u. There are instances when he will tell us " don't resume here tomorrow, go to another branch, sit down there make friends with those that know it and let them teach u. Now like I said he doesn't know it but will get u to learn it and use u. In the long run u are better since ur skill is enhanced.

Now the second manager, female doesn't know and doesn't even want you to know it. If you pick up your fone to learn or ask questions it turns to revealing secrets outside. As a female, its all about show off to the subordinates in the office. Always wanting to do the talking, masquerading. If there is heat and tension on the job its for everyone, but u make it seem like your just the only one facing the heat is wrong. Or perhaps my first female manager
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Kay17: 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Bad leaders without confidence explain themselves. A leader is like a silverback, the employees have to trust his competence. Making decisions is tough, everything about leadership is tough, one has to have a sharpened ruthless side.
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by xpac01(m): 4:25pm On Sep 12, 2014
[quote author=learnine]Bad managers tell employees what to do, good managers explain why they need to do it, but great managers involve people in decision making and improvement."

There might be more to management to that, but I think that's a pretty good start. "Lean management," or the Toyota management system, encourages leaders to live in that "good to great" range (with apologies to Jim Collins).

Bad managers bark orders. They are directive and tell employees what to do, without any explanation or context. I saw a lot of that style of management quite often during my first two years at General Motors (read my previous post about that experience) and the workplace was incredibly dysfunctional, as a result.

There are top-down, "command and control" managers in every type of workplace, unfortunately. Managers who are controlling and have all the answers want their employees to "check their brains at the door," and often say so quite explicitly — or they spread that message in more subtle ways.

At GM, front-line employees complained that they were "hired for their backs and their arms, not their brains." In hospitals, healthcare professionals (even those with master's degrees) have complained, "They just want us to do what we're told." This is not a recipe for quality, productivity, or good customer service.

A friend of mine lives in a high-rise condo building. One example of "telling" was the general manager telling employees that the doors to the resident gym must now be kept closed at all times. For years, previously, the doors had been left open unless a resident wanted privacy and chose to close them.

My friend asked one of the employees, "Why are the doors closed all of the time now?" The employee replied, "I don't know, [the manager] just told us to."

It's disrespectful to just give directives without letting people understand the reason(s) why. There might have very well been a good reason why the doors were now to be kept closed. Had the manager taken just a few minutes to share a reason why, the employees would feel better about themselves and would more likely keep the doors closed. If employees are following directives out of a fear of being "written up," they aren't in a position to provide great service.

A good condo manager would explain why the doors now need to be closed. And, if there wasn't a good reason why, they wouldn't force the change on a whim.
You should have made the definition better by giving regards more to the exceptional employees. So employees if given the chance will only run down your business with some inconsequential ideas..
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by gud4vv: 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2014
Do all dat study MANAGEMENT bound to become Managers?and aw gud iz d cus?
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by amdman: 6:44pm On Sep 12, 2014
Kay17: Bad leaders without confidence explain themselves. A leader is like a silverback, the employees have to trust his competence. Making decisions is tough, everything about leadership is tough, one has to have a sharpened ruthless side.

I have to disagree with you. I will rather explain to my team members the rationale behind decisions taken, or involve them in the decision making process, than take a unilateral decision and tell them to carry it out.

The 21st century workplace has greatly evolved. Nowadays, the best managers are leaders, those that take the pain to develop their team members. The head of the team is no longer the boss, but the team leader, hence most good to great organisations emphasise working in teams.

I love this picture.

2 Likes

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by MAYOWAAK: 6:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
No matter how small your soup is,if it finishes before your eba,you can never be a good manager.

1 Like

Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Kay17: 7:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
amdman:

I have to disagree with you. I will rather explain to my team members the rationale behind decisions taken, or involve them in the decision making process, than take a unilateral decision and tell them to carry it out.

The 21st century workplace has greatly evolved. Nowadays, the best managers are leaders, those that take the pain to develop their team members. The head of the team is no longer the boss, but the team leader, hence most good to great organisations emphasise working in teams.

I love this picture.

Nonetheless the leader solely has to be the source of inspiration, his/her vulnerabilities and thought process must not be exposed to the inferiors. Also, the leader must be able to bear on the employees pressure sufficient to direct their efforts at work.
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by Alpha1obischizo(m): 7:56pm On Sep 12, 2014
Blah blah blah., wtf u saying!!! You talk too much.....
Re: What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do by oyebanji(m): 10:21pm On Sep 13, 2014
Leadership is situational and there is no one size fits all style...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Experience With Helping Friends Fund Their Business / 5 Effective Ways To Get A Lazy Person To Work / Being Academically Brilliant Is Not Enough To Pass Assessment Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.