Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,584 members, 7,958,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:16 AM

Serene Sanctuary - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Serene Sanctuary (607 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Serene Sanctuary by LamudiNG: 12:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
It's surprising how many people hate their bedrooms. In far too many homes, it is the one place where junk, old suitcases, raggedy curtains and worn out and mismatched furniture are found. You go to a posh apartment in a highbrow area, get blown away by the decor and accent pieces in the living room, kitchen and other parts of the house. Then you enter the bedroom and start thinking you've been transported into another era or house.

I have clients that spend hundreds of thousands on living rooms – and find it difficult to spare few tens of thousands on their bedroom. The excuses range from “Nobody goes there” to “It's not that serious”. That's ludicrous, at best. It's the one room in the home we spend more time in and, as the room in which we sleep and recharge, it's logical that we pay more attention to it.
I can't imagine going through the hustle and bustle of this city and not being able to cuddle up to my soft pillows and just bury myself in my inviting linen bedding when I get home. That said, I rant because I want a change in our perspective on how our bedrooms should look and feel. Take these few steps to making your own bedroom a comfort zone – and see what I mean.

Declutter
My late grandma’s room in Epe comes to mind. Though it was quite spacious, there was hardly any room to move. Stacking old suitcases in one corner doesn’t cut it. Your bedroom isn’t a storeroom for old stuff or unopened wedding gifts. Remove old clothes, old shoes, cardboard boxes, and any piece of useless furniture.

Suitable shades
Ideally, cool colour tones are best for bedrooms as they have a calming effect. Almost any colour can be used, but shade is crucial. For example, mustard yellow will be more suitable here than sunflower yellow which, in turn, works in a nursery or kid’s room. Neutrals such as greys, white are highly recommended.

Bedlinen
Invest in 100% cotton bedlinen. They last longer, are softer and have a cooling effect on both the skin and the space – unlike polyester, which can irritate the skin. What’s more, cotton or linen needn’t be expensive.

Furniture
Ditch the traditional imposing bedroom furniture for lighter, modern pieces. Instead of a regular dresser with drawers and all, a full-length mirror with wooden borders with a single shelf at the bottom can be fixed to the wall. Beds with imposing headboards are also becoming a thing of the past.

Window dressing:
Gone are the days of really heavy curtains; instead, opt for lighter fabrics in cheerful colours.

Add accents An attractive bedside lamp is more than ornamental; it can also add an appealing glow when needed. Wallpaper the wall behind the bed, where most people usually have an ornate headboard. Personal photographs that cannot be displayed in the living room can be strategically hung on the wall facing the bed.

Scented candles are a must; they not only add a touch of romance, but also enhancing the room with its fragrance.

See more at Essential Interiors at www.la[url]mudi.com.ng/journal[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Being A Woman Is Exhausting: Transsexual Who Had £10,000 Surgery Wants To Become / Be Different By Costumising Your Style....your Will Our Hands / Kourtney, Kim And Khloe Debuts A New Line For Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.