Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,583 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. (743 Views)

Top 5 Student Visa Interview Questions And Answers To Study Abroad / I Bet You Will View This Pic Twice. / Answers To Exam Questions From A SS1 Student. PHOTOS (must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by Jossyluv75(m): 6:45pm On Sep 15, 2014
EDUCATION: SOME COMMONLY USED IDIOM AND THEIR MEANINGS.
Today, we will be looking at some commonly used idom and their meanngs.

WHAT IS AN IDIOM?
Idiom is an expression with a meaning that cannot be guessed from the meanings of the individual words.
Below is a list of some commonly used idiom and their meanings.

IDIOM - MEANINGS

1. He was born with silver in his mouth - he was born into a wealthy or rich family.
2. To take the bull by the horns - Face difficulties boldly.
3. A white elephant project - high cost project with low value.
4. To pour oil on troubled water - To make situation peaceful.
5. To rain cats and dogs - To rain heavily.
6. To be at logger heads - To argue or quarrel.
7. Put wool over ones eye - To decieve.
8. To grease somebody palm - To bribe.
9. Flog a dead horse - To waste one's time.
10. To run helter skelter - To run disorderly.
11. To be under false colour - To pretend to be what you are not.
12. Dutch courage - Courage obtained by drinking alcohol.
13. To live from hand to mouth - To spend as soon as it is earned.
14. At eleventh hour - At the last moment.
15. To save one's face - To avoid disgrace.

Learning is a gradual process and for that reason, we will take our lessons gradually in other not to over accumulate the brain.
Thanks for reading, you can drop a comment by adding some idiom that was not listed above.
Re: I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by Realtol(m): 7:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
Awesome! You have done a great job. However, I think number 10 is helter-skelter and not heather skelter. I believe it was a mistake though.

1 Like

Re: I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by lomprico(m): 7:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
Op u must be a primary school teacher.

1 Like

Re: I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by Jossyluv75(m): 2:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
Realtol: Awesome! You have done a great job. However, I think number 10 is helter-skelter and not heather skelter. I believe it was a mistake though.

Yeah thanks alot wink
Re: I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by Jossyluv75(m): 2:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
lomprico: Op u must be a primary school teacher.
Lol thats true. I taught you in primary school. Hope you can still remember then in pry 3 when I gave you some lashes on your buttocks because after several warnings, you never stopped distracting others by adding 'base' to the background when ever they are taking their spelling drills in the morning.
Re: I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by lawrenceunaa: 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
op pls this are simple idi cheesy ms help us with concrete ones
Re: I Bet You Dont Know The Answers To Some Of This. by Jossyluv75(m): 11:02am On Sep 17, 2014
lawrenceunaa: op pls this are simple idi cheesy ms help us with concrete ones

ok no quams. I will get that posted soon wink

(1) (Reply)

Unity Schools Begins Indefinite Strike On Monday / Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation / Topic Already Posted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.