Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask (1029 Views)

How To Build Your Profitable Online Store While Working 9 - 5 Job / 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask / Questions You Will Answer In Youwin 2013 Business Plan Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by insidifyguru: 10:28pm On Sep 15, 2014
The interview process (the oral phase) is usually dreaded by not a few job seekers. Most times, applicants are qualified for the position being sought for but the interviewer, upon meeting them, is unable to match the person on paper with the person in front of him/her.

Job seekers need to understand that as much as they are being interviewed, they can also do an interview for the interviewer! I know this may sound alien and impracticable especially considering the peculiarities of the Nigerian job industry, but it is not.

Interviewers who are worth their salt usually ask applicants this question; do you have any question for us? Most often than not, this question is perceived by applicants to be some sort of trick question to get them to fall in some sort of figurative interview pit. But this is really not the case.

Not only will not asking a question at this stage of the interview make you come across as being unintelligent, it is also the perfect opportunity for you to gather your wits about you and redeem yourself (if you feel you didn't perform up to expectation during the interview).

Here are 5 questions that you should make certain to ask before your interview is over.

1. What skills and experiences would make me an ideal candidate? This is a great open-ended question that will have the interviewer put his/her cards on the table and state exactly what the employer is looking for. If the interviewer mentions something you didn't cover yet, now is the time.

2. What have you enjoyed most about working here? This question allows the interviewer to connect with you on a more personal level, sharing his/her feelings. The answer will also give you unique insight into how satisfied (or otherwise) people are with their jobs, here. If the interviewer is pained to come up with an answer to your question, it is a big red flag.

3. Do you have any hesitations about my qualifications? I love this question because it is gutsy. Also, you'll show that you're confident in your skills and abilities.

4. Who previously held this position? This seemingly straightforward question will tell you whether that person was promoted or fired or if he/she quit or retired. That, in turn, will provide a clue to whether there's a chance for advancement, employees are unhappy, the place is in turmoil, or the employer has workers around your age.

5. What is the next step in the process? This is the essential last question and one you should definitely ask. It shows that you're interested in moving along in the process and it invites the interviewer to tell you how many people are in the running for the position. With luck, the answer will be "there's no next step, you're hired!"

Do you have an upcoming interview or you know a friend or acquaintance who does? Why don't you put these questions to work or share with the friend.

(This post was inspired by an article by Joe Konop in Forbes.com and is originally titled 10 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask. It can be found here http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2014/06/18/10-job-interview-questions-you-should-ask/)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by Brunel(m): 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2014
If I'm right, ideally you shouldn't ask more than two questions. The applicant is being interviewed not the other way round.
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by leshluap(m): 11:13pm On Sep 15, 2014
I just tire, wen u ask dem 5 que, hw many dem go ask u??
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by insidifyguru: 6:20am On Sep 16, 2014
Brunel: If I'm right, ideally you shouldn't ask more than two questions. The applicant is being interviewed not the other way round.
l

You are correct Brunel,but the keyword in your statement is 'Ideally.' 'Ideally' may not make you come across as different from the other thousands who also applied. Don't be ideal, be spectacular.
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by insidifyguru: 6:24am On Sep 16, 2014
leshluap: I just tire, wen u ask dem 5 que, hw many dem go ask u??

Leshluap, I'm sure you are not seriously considering thinking about how many questions to ask simply because your interviewers will ask several. Think this way: I'm here now, I won't have a second chance at a first impression. Money was earmarked by the employer for that interview process so thinking of reducing the number of questions you SHOULD ask is not really how you'll get that job.
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by Brunel(m): 9:38am On Sep 16, 2014
insidifyguru: l

You are correct Brunel,but the keyword in your statement is 'Ideally.' 'Ideally' may not make you come across as different from the other thousands who also applied. Don't be ideal, be spectacular.

Its good to stand out and be spectacular from thousands.........however it should be for the positive. Wisdom is profitable to direct, one should study the mood of the interviewers and follow suit. Make u no go ask ur papa age mate wey dey vex questions that are intrusive
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by insidifyguru: 11:11am On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author=Brunel]

Its good to stand out and be spectacular from thousands.........however it should be for the positive. Wisdom is profitable to direct, one should study the mood of the interviewers and follow suit. Make u no go ask ur papa age mate wey dey vex questions that are intrusive[/

Lol. Brunel. You are right on that score though,Wisdom IS profitable to direct. Thank you so much for your insightful comments.
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by Chigorkizz(m): 1:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
i think two out of these five will be ok.
Re: 5 Job Interview Questions You Should Ask by insidifyguru: 5:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chigorkizz: i think two out of these five will be ok.

Take your pick Chigorkizz, but with each one you remove you defeat the whole purpose little by little. The last question is, in my opinion, the most important though. So if you wish to go with two, the last question and any other one will be it. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

I Can Help You Make 10-20 % On Your Capital Every Month. / Before You Post "How Can I Get Sales On FIVERR?" Try Reading This First. / How I Make Over $30,000,using Trafficmonsoon And 4corners(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.