Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,202 members, 7,818,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? (1123 Views)

If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Why Mechanics Hate 2003-2007 Corrolla / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by poca4real(m): 7:50am On Sep 17, 2014
I had observed severally that most mechanics don't like the ideal of the owner of the car buying spare parts for them.I discovered that they usually add money to the real price of spare and still expect you to give them to buy it.

For instance,rubber bushing that the pair is N1000 in market,i was told is N2000,which i really know is high compare to what they sell it.
Who has the right to buy spares and how will one manage this situation if you find yourself in it?
Re: Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by Crixie(m): 7:56am On Sep 17, 2014
pls...never give mechanics money to buy parts for u,U can take them to where u buy ur parts and allow them to ask for what they want and confirm if its the original...then u pay
Re: Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by justi4jesu(f): 8:29am On Sep 17, 2014
Because they tend to buy the very cheap fake parts and charging you a whole lot for it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by abatically(m): 10:30am On Sep 17, 2014
The best thing is to buy ur parts urself and take them to the mechanic. But then we can't blame mechanics for wanting to buy parts for their customers. They know they will make more money buy buying the parts for u. Some of them even charge so little for workmanship because they know they already made money from the parts. For me if I'm buying a simple thing like bushings or break pads, I just give my mechanic the money to buy them, saves me the stress of having to go to the market to buy these things. If a part is sold for 1,000 and my mechanic says 2,000.. no big deal, he has to leave his shop and transport himself to where he would buy the part. Also I noticed mechanics tend to do a better job if u let them buy the parts then when u buy them urself (from experience). The best thing is just to know the estimated prices of the parts before giving them money.

But If I am buying major parts like engine, transmission, cylinder head, etc.. I go with them to buy it. Afterall if u take ur car to a reputable shop, they will give u a quotation and u can't buy parts for them, they will have to buy the parts for u which is part of the way they make their income. The good thing though is when the parts fail prematurely u can always take it back to them to fix.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by aieromon(m): 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2014
Always try and have an idea of how much a spare part costs. Having the mechanic go to the market saves time and stress although they tend to abuse the privilege by inflating the procurement costs.

For me, I ask for quotation and compare by calling friends and asking for their mechanics input. If the difference is not much, I let it slide. If not, I renegotiate and proceed to buy the spare if the mechanic doesn't bulge.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by ogawisdom(m): 9:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
I buy my parts myself bc I am interested in anytin dt has to do wit my car. Also I save a lot of money doing dt too. A mechanic once told me dt stabilizer linkage worth 1500 is 5000 can u imagine angry n dt a gear selector cable of abt 4k. Is 9k . Also I alwys ve contact of spare parts dealers abt two or three of them to help me compare price n also two or three mechanics to help keep one anoda in check tongue
Re: Why Do Motor Mechanics Hate Owner To Buy Spare Parts? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 18, 2014
Most Mechanics see buying of parts for respective car owners as an alternative cash flow source, so your purchase of such parts denies them of such.
However, the claims of the posters above are almost always true

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious! Car Owners Block Each Other For More Than A Year, See Why / Help! : Quest Jack And Refused To Select / Uber/taxify Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.