Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God (1017 Views)

Gen. Buhari Meets With The Archbishop Of Canterbury (Photo News) / Nigerian Anglican Opposes British Govt. on the Selection of Bishop of Canterbury / Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2014
Archbishop of Canterbury admits
doubts about existence of God
Justin Welby tells BBC radio interviewer there are moments
when he doubts – but he is certain about the existence of Jesus
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, with Rabbi Laura Janner-
Klausner of Reform Judaism and Imam Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra at a
human rights vigil outside Westminster Abbey. Photograph: Luke
Macgregor/Reuters
Justin Welby Angli

Thursday 18 September 2014 04.40 EDT
The archbishop of Canterbury has admitted to having doubts
about the existence of God and disclosed that on a recent
morning jog with his dog he questioned why the Almighty had
failed to intervene to prevent an injustice.
In a light-hearted but personal interview in front of hundreds
of people in Bristol cathedral last weekend , Justin Welby said:
"There are moments, sure, where you think 'Is there a God?
Where is God?'"
Welby quickly added that as the leader of the world's 80
million-strong Anglican community this was "probably not
what the archbishop of Canterbury should say".
Earlier, the interviewer, BBC Bristol's Lucy Tegg, reminded
him of the weight his words carried. "You have a remarkably
prominent role within the faith community around the world,"
Tegg said.
"I've noticed," Welby quipped.
Tegg then asked him: "Do you ever doubt?"
Welby replied: "Yes. I do. In lots of different ways really. It's a
very good question. That means I've got to think about what
I'm going to say. Yes I do." He added: "I love the Psalms, if
you look at Psalm 88, that's full of doubt."
Welby suggested that his doubts were a regular occurrence, by
recounting a recent morning run with dog.
"The other day I was praying over something as I was running
and I ended up saying to God: 'Look, this is all very well but
isn't it about time you did something – if you're there' – which
is probably not what the archbishop of Canterbury should
say."
He added: "It is not about feelings, it is about the fact that God
is faithful and the extraordinary thing about being a Christian
is that God is faithful when we are not."
Later in the interview, Welby said he was certain about the
existence of Jesus, even talking about his presence beside him.
"We know about Jesus, we can't explain all the questions in
the world, we can't explain about suffering, we can't explain
loads of things but we know about Jesus," Welby said.
Asked what he did when life got challenging, Welby said: "I
keep going and call to Jesus to help me, and he picks me up."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/18/archbishop-canterbury-doubt-god-existence-welby
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by segunjowo(m): 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2014
the foundation of his faith is shaking
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2014
segunjowo: the foundation of his faith is shaking
there was never a foundation dude, religions were built upon fables and myths.

6 Likes

Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
An honest Christian. shocked
Run everyone! The world is ending!

2 Likes

Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 18, 2014
"Doubt everything. Find your own light."
-Gautama Buddha

"Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them."
[Kalama Sutta, AN 3.65]
Gautama Buddha

I love this Buddha guy. cool
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by EvangSDKalu: 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2014
I don't think any one should be surprise about this, was it not the Vaticans who said few months ago that Jesus is not coming again, that maybe he was drunk when he said that. Sometimes some of us doubt the very foundation of this great church and what their stand for. Peace to all Christians...
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2014
EvangSDKalu: I don't think any one should be surprise about this, was it not the Vaticans who said few months ago that Jesus is not coming again, that maybe he was drunk when he said that. Sometimes some of us doubt the very foundation of this great church and what their stand for. Peace to all Christians...
That was not from the Vatican.
That was a satirical article.
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Rich4god(m): 2:36pm On Sep 18, 2014
Apatheist:
That was not from the Vatican.
That was a satirical article.
Dont mind the guy and his cohorts... Anything that has to do with the vatican, they will just believe it without making reseach...
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Handcuff: 2:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
EvangSDKalu: I don't think any one should be surprise about this, was it not the Vaticans who said few months ago that Jesus is not coming again, that maybe he was drunk when he said that. Sometimes some of us doubt the very foundation of this great church and what their stand for. Peace to all Christians...

Guess you dont know the difference between Catholic and Anglican
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 18, 2014
Enter the Pastorpreneurs and their brainwashed followers "slandering"(?) the Catholic Church.

1 Like

Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by EvangSDKalu: 3:54pm On Sep 18, 2014
Please i don't hate Catholics or any Church. My wife was a Catholics before i married her. for she has virtues, she still does.
Pentecostals, orthodox or catholic have some doctrine that are against the doctrines of the Apostles of the NT.
below is the link to which i saw the Vaticans said that Jesus is coming no more.
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/04/18/jesus-not-coming-back-by-the-looks-of-it-admits-vatican/
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
EvangSDKalu: Please i don't hate Catholics or any Church. My wife was a Catholics before i married her. for she has virtues, she still does.
Pentecostals, orthodox or catholic have some doctrine that are against the doctrines of the Apostles of the NT.
below is the link to which i saw the Vaticans said that Jesus is coming no more.
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/04/18/jesus-not-coming-back-by-the-looks-of-it-admits-vatican/
Any website you visit, make sure you check their disclaimer, OK?
From the website:
Disclaimer:
Waterford Whispers News is a fabricated satirical newspaper and comedy website published by Waterford Whispers News.
www.waterfordwhispersnews.com/disclaimer/
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Rich4god(m): 7:47pm On Sep 18, 2014
Apatheist:
Any website you visit, make sure you check their disclaimer, OK?
From the website:

www.waterfordwhispersnews.com/disclaimer/
I dont knw why you are even reponding to the guy... How do you expect him to check the credibilty of the source when their pastors have brain washed them to believe all the negative news about the catholic church...
Re: Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 9:39pm On Sep 18, 2014

seem you have already been answers, the article is a satire.

Anyway, i believe at one point or the other a christian must test his foundations, he will present his doubt. I'm not suprised that the archbishop at some time at some point had doubt...doubt allow our faith to grow and at times it differentiate faith from fanatism.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Decide Not To Greet A Neighbour Again? / Attracts The Angels For Assignment – Dr Chris Okafor (liberation City) / Prayer Provokes Blessings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.