Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma (2007 Views)

Unizik Loses 500Level Medical Student To Death After Gas Explosion / When You're A Medical Student In Esut. Pix / A Nairalander Medical Student Conducts Free Medical Mission In The Philippines.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 2:18pm On Sep 19, 2014
Hi nairalanders, I am a first year medical student of a federal university. I once applied for admission in the Nigerian Defence Academy but wasn't successful due to a reason. Then I applied for med/surg in a conventional university nd I was admitted.
Due to my passion for military career(don't quote me wrong, I'm also in love with the medical field, it's just that the course is not offered in NDA) I reapplied for admission in NDA while in school, I passed their examination and was invited for screening in kaduna and I also scaled through and have been admitted. But I'm confused which one to go for because some of my family members are against my decision of quiting my current school and I prefer joining the military as a regular to a short service officer due to the advantages the former has over the later. Your advice is needed.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 2:56pm On Sep 19, 2014
21 views and no comment! This is serious
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 19, 2014
Since you are more interested and passionate about joining the Armed forces...go to the NDA.

The only way you could have combined medicine and being a regular officer in the Army was if you had done your secondary school at NMS Zaria....then you would have become a soldier on graduating...then you enroll in university and read medicine while maintaining your commission in the Army....after you graduate...and continue Army life+doctor.

If you are a Christian....God is just a prayer away in all things.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by DollyParton1(f): 3:26pm On Sep 19, 2014
You can be a military doctor you know.
How long is the NMÀ gonna take you? Can you differ one admission and complete the other.

But I will say you should follow that which you are passionate about, its your life. Forget what the family thinks. Its your life, live it to your satisfaction. You don't wanna look back in few years from now and regret that u dint take d path u wanted to take. Life alone is stressful, don't combine it with an un fulfilling profession.
Above all, Pray for directions from God, I.e if u a a Christian.

1 Like

Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by BabaAlabi: 3:54pm On Sep 19, 2014
The fact that you re-applied means you are having second thoughts about medicine. My advice is to choose what your heart tells you to do. No one is going to suffer with you. No one is going to experience the pangs of regret if you make the wrong choice. Follow your heart.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 4:56pm On Sep 19, 2014
DollyParton1: You can be a military doctor you know.
How long is the NMÀ gonna take you? Can you differ one admission and complete the other.

But I will say you should follow that which you are passionate about, its your life. Forget what the family thinks. Its your life, live it to your satisfaction. You don't wanna look back in few years from now and regret that u dint take d path u wanted to take. Life alone is stressful, don't combine it with an un fulfilling profession.
Above all, Pray for directions from God, I.e if u a a Christian.
thanks my sister
BabaAlabi: The fact that you re-applied means you are having second thoughts about medicine. My advice is to choose what your heart tells you to do. No one is going to suffer with you. No one is going to experience the pangs of regret if you make the wrong choice. Follow your heart.
pls why not give me reasons to choose one over another.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 4:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
BabaAlabi: The fact that you re-applied means you are having second thoughts about medicine. My advice is to choose what your heart tells you to do. No one is going to suffer with you. No one is going to experience the pangs of regret if you make the wrong choice. Follow your heart.
Pls why not give me reasons to choose one over another.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by joeblack62: 7:06pm On Sep 19, 2014
It's either you choose one or the other. Go for the N.D.A, that's my advise for you and remember "Joe black" told u so.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by dwilliams: 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2014
You mayb over age before graduating frm medicine due 2 d way d conventional uni,s run their program, my advice go to d NDA, dis is a one in a lifetime opportunity, then you can still apply using ur Biological sciences, which I know that's what u r going for in Kaduna to further in the Nigeria Medical school in Lagos, my two cent advice
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Doclight(m): 8:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
just one word for you

be mindful of actions you take, it may hurt those who loves u.

Just be careful, dnt be hasty.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 8:55pm On Sep 19, 2014
joeblack62: It's either you choose one or the other. Go for the N.D.A, that's my advise for you and remember "Joe black" told u so.
thanks a lot bro
Doclight: just one word for you
thanks
dwilliams: You mayb over age before graduating frm medicine due 2 d way d conventional uni,s run their program, my advice go to d NDA, dis is a one in a lifetime opportunity, then you can still apply using ur Biological sciences, which I know that's what u r going for in Kaduna to further in the Nigeria Medical school in Lagos, my two cent advice
yes dear. It's Biological science that I was offered. I appreciate ur time and suggestion.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by sigolisis: 9:02pm On Sep 19, 2014
Hmm, you have two highly competitive options in your hand just like that, you must be a smart chap, it's great. Now, if your first application into NDA was successful would you have written utme for medicine while in NDA? Picture where you'll be after graduating as a doctor and where you'll be after your commissioning as a soldier, then decide where you actually wanna be. Having said that, NDA has age limit but you can study medicine at any reasonable age, you can apply for medicine through Direct Entry after your NDA programme provided you studied a related course. By the way, why didn't you finish medicine and apply through DSS? Believe me nobody can tell you specifically to do this or that because it's about fulfilment of purpose, passion and ambition. Only God and you can. Pray and fast about it and do not joke about any revelation in form of dream, advise, message and peace of mind you have concerning any of the two at the period you fast and pray.

Above all, be passionate about God, serve Him, live in holiness and fear God. Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and he will guide you in the way you should go. Gud luck

1 Like

Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Saheed9: 9:52pm On Sep 19, 2014
Can't u differ ur med admission nd finish @ NDA first
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
sigolisis: Hmm, you have two highly competitive options in your hand just like that, you must be a smart chap, it's great. Now, if your first application into NDA was successful would you have written utme for medicine while in NDA? Picture where you'll be after graduating as a doctor and where you'll be after your commissioning as a soldier, then decide where you actually wanna be. Having said that, NDA has age limit but you can study medicine at any reasonable age, you can apply for medicine through Direct Entry after your NDA programme provided you studied a related course. By the way, why didn't you finish medicine and apply through DSS? Believe me nobody can tell you specifically to do this or that because it's about fulfilment of purpose, passion and ambition. Only God and you can. Pray and fast about it and do not joke about any revelation in form of dream, advise, message and peace of mind you have concerning any of the two at the period you fast and pray.

Above all, be passionate about God, serve Him, live in holiness and fear God. Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and he will guide you in the way you should go. Gud luck
omo see evangelist ooo ..... dey guy ask for advice u come dey preach give am nii?
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by ese79(m): 12:14am On Sep 20, 2014
i was in d op's shoes 2011..we finished NDA screenin a day b4 jamb exam, i managed to travel down to the south dat nyt so i can meet up wit my jamb the folowin day...b4 jamb admisn came out, NDA shortlisted me among the 5 candidate 4rm delta..i went for d NDA admisn. Omo! Wen i stayed wik there, i knew i cudnt cope, see drilling! And wen the jamb admisn came out, i was admited in2 my desired course(medicine). Nobody told me b4 i ran 4rm NDA...My bro, you can only survive Academy wen u av d pasion, i mean d very core pasion for it...u myt leave ur medicine nw for NDA and realise that NDA is nt as juicy as it seem..u may regret ur decision.. Just knw wat u realy want 4rm the very depth of ur heart and go for it..
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Nutase: 12:59am On Sep 20, 2014
I had a friend who was in a SIMILAR situation many years ago but thank God he didnt go to NDA
Many of our friends who went to NDA are no more NO THANKS TO BH.
Bros in todays naija military NO BE AM O.
What if your first posting from NDA is to MAIDUGURI OR A TROUBLED ZONE, you might not survive 6 months in the army.
The way senior officers are dying in the hand of BH MAKES ME WONDER IF THERE IS ANY HOPE FOR THE YOUNGER ONES.

PRAY and if possible FAST before you take your final decision cos this is a LIFE and DEATH matter
Oluwa is INVOLVED.
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 9:06pm On Sep 20, 2014
Nutase: I had a friend who was in a SIMILAR situation many years ago but thank God he didnt go to NDA
Many of our friends who went to NDA are no more NO THANKS TO BH.
Bros in todays naija military NO BE AM O.
What if your first posting from NDA is to MAIDUGURI OR A TROUBLED ZONE, you might not survive 6 months in the army.
The way senior officers are dying in the hand of BH MAKES ME WONDER IF THERE IS ANY HOPE FOR THE YOUNGER ONES.

PRAY and if possible FAST before you take your final decision cos this is a LIFE and DEATH matter
Oluwa is INVOLVED.
thanks bro
Re: Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma by Coolboyz: 12:46pm On Oct 08, 2014
Doclight:
just one word for you

kk

(1) (Reply)

JPTS Oil And Gas MSC Programe / What Is Software? See The Answer My Student Gave. / List Of Catchment Area In federal University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.