Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Dealing With Oversensitivity - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dealing With Oversensitivity (1857 Views)

Dealing With Pressures From Single Girls / Dealing With The Pressures From Married Men / Dealing With A Football-Addicted Fiance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 3:35pm On Sep 20, 2014
Over sensitivity is the trait that lets you become overly affected by an external influence that can hardly affect normal people. For example not being able to tolerate Constructive criticism that other people normally tolerate is a sign of over sensitivity.

In order to know if you are an over sensitive person see if your answer to most of those questions were yes:

*.Do you get hurt by some words or comments that are told to you about your personality? (Among friends off/online)

*.Are you unable to tolerate criticism?

*.Do you hate loud noise or loud music?

*.Do you feel other people's pain and suffering more than anyone else?

*.Are you slim or is your body smaller in size than the body of your peers?

*.Do you stop for more than three minutes when you see an accident in the street in order to watch it?
(some call it curiousity)

*.Do you find it very hard to tolerate high or low temperatures?

*.Do you find it very hard to gain muscles by working out? (Guys are not smiling)

*.Do you have lots of mood swings as a result of small events?

*You feel uncomfortable with a fellow making sounds with his mouth while eating?
My addition....

*Do you see a comment on Nairaland and cant help but straightaway quote to insult.

Add yours and let's discuss..... smiley

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by lalasticlala(m): 3:49pm On Sep 20, 2014
some people r so much guilty of d last one there abt nairaland
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 3:59pm On Sep 20, 2014
lalasticlala: some people r so much guilty of d last one there abt nairaland
exactly. I wonder the fun in it
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by eleojo23: 6:25pm On Sep 20, 2014
Good but incomplete info. You did not state how to deal with it.
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by MizMyColi(f): 6:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
Just had to reply this now.

Yeah, you're right @post. We (they) should really work on the aspects that needs to be worked on *facepalm*

However, I consider sensitive people as awesome individuals.
I can't imagine getting married to an insensitive guy. angry sad shocked embarassed lipsrsealed undecided cry

But then, like everyting else,
Moderation is key
smiley

1 Like

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by Janeify(f): 6:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
Op,why you no number am...mine is been bigger than my peers,i feel uncomfortable especially when am on heels cry
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 20, 2014
i answered yes to most of the questions. Well, is it that bad? Can it be corrected?
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by destante(f): 6:56pm On Sep 20, 2014
Gosh I answered yes to all the questions. grin
okbye
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 8:08pm On Sep 20, 2014
How to Deal with it.

While others certainly can assist you, you are your own master and always will be.

Be sincere about your feelings and look within. One of the greatest difficulties is the way the mind responds to events and therein lies the big challenge.

The mind often reacts out of habit and sometimes because it wants to, but there is a variety of reasons a person may feel sensitivity. You can reach this realization once you have done some insightwork into yourself and your own life. It might help to understand that this first step usually is the hardest, as it is possible to spend many hours of conflicted self-talk and contemplation before you can really admit that you could be too sensitive for your own well-being. This includes going over the whats, hows and whys.

Generally, there are not many people who are really able to honestly look inside themselves and admit to the truth of what they see is happening, so you probably find this step is a big challenge. Set yourself some ground rules as that way you have a scope within to explore and can still be in control.

The very fact you've chosen to examine your sensitivity is a big step forward and can be an act of kindness to yourself when done to improve your emotional wellbeing.

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 8:14pm On Sep 20, 2014

Explore your sensitivity

There is a host of questions you can ask to gain understanding, such as the subject of the sensitivity as well as if you feel sensitive to many things in general (perhaps social-wide issues). Perhaps you're very sensitive to a particular person or group of people?(Take note)

Does the depth of your usual sensitivity vary? Do you react in a big way or a small way to things you perceive as hurts or emotional harm?

Try to explore all the subtle details of what or who sets off your sensitivities.

*. Meditationis also an activity you can look into for exploring the sensitivity. If you've been resisting it, such as because you think it's a waste of time, or feel nervous or afraid, then it is an excellent way to understand what is prompting you to think that way.

It is wise for beginners to find themselves an instructor, or an experienced friend who can give good advice. You might be surprised at how it can open pathways inside yourself to greater personal understanding, especially for a person with many self-perceived sensitivities.

Mindfulnessis an excellent format of meditation to look into as you can start to identify the individual feelings, motivations and complexities and address each issue in your own time.

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 8:41pm On Sep 20, 2014

Find out if there is a particular trigger for your sensitivity.

Often sensitivity rests in specific areas that have key triggers. For the main part, these triggers form from our five senses such as an image, colour, a scent, sound, or a sensation recalling a past event or reminding you of a person. Or, the trigger may be more direct, such as being in a certain place, such as a cemetery, hospital, school, open spaces, someone's house, etc.
Other triggers might be patterns or habits you've developed over time to cope with work, or relationships that you find challenging without questioning whether this pattern is healthy for you. In the case of a pattern or a habit, it can be harder to discern the impact on your sensitivity because it's likely to have become an avoidance strategy in order to calm your sensitivities, but recognising it is essential.

*.Writing down your sensitivity triggers in a journal can be helpful as this allows you to transfer the abstract thoughts about your alleged sensitivities and turn them into concrete words upon paper.

Sometimes just in the doing of this, you can begin to see the idea of the sensitivity changing and being replaced by a more realistic view of the trigger or situation.

*.The triggers are individual in nature. Even if someone you know has the same trigger about the same issue, how it affects you might not affect them the same way. It really is coincidental, not universal.

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 9:17pm On Sep 20, 2014

Take your time.

You have to know something really well before you can act on it, otherwise it is like heading into a new area after glancing at a map without understanding the map first - you haven't enough understanding of the area to be able to travel it well and getting lost is almost certain.

Only once you have identified the how, what, why, when and how of your sensitivity, can you start to train the mind. Go over the exploration and the trigger finding outlined in the previous steps as many times as needed until you feel comfortable that you've grasped a better understanding of your own sensitivities, their source and their impact on your daily life.

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by Missmossy(f): 9:26pm On Sep 20, 2014
Makes sense but am kinda confused,what has curiousity got to do with oversensitivity?
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 9:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
Other ways to help tackle Oversensitivity are:

** Follow a schedule/Calendar that keeps your time engaged.

** Keep your thoughts to yourself. You dont need to share it with everyone. But do know those you can confide in also.

** Try to solve your daily problems yourself and dont ask for other's assistance.

** Respect other people's private space.

** Think properly before you speak.

** Don't blame yourself for all the misery of this world.

** It is better to have emotion but best to show to it to no one.

** Try not take the things others say too personally.

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by lalasticlala(m): 9:51pm On Sep 20, 2014
Janeify: Op,why you no number am...mine is been bigger than my peers,i feel uncomfortable especially when am on heels cry

wow!! really?

would have loved to c ur pic dear
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by Janeify(f): 9:59pm On Sep 20, 2014
lalasticlala:

wow!! really?

would have loved to c ur pic dear
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:27pm On Sep 20, 2014
Make i comment before this thing enter FP.

Oversensitivity is really bad.
There is a disorder similar to it that's called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), its really bad.

Nice one DaveP

1 Like

Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2014
eleojo23: Good but incomplete info. You did not state how to deal with it.
you might wana revisit to see....
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 11:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
Janeify: Op,why you no number am...mine is been bigger than my peers,i feel uncomfortable especially when am on heels cry
you mean ur legs are so sensitive to heels? Do you still wear them despite the aches, etc? Throw light better on your post....
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 11:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
missberrypop5: i answered yes to most of the questions. Well, is it that bad? Can it be corrected?
unless a new law states their is something that exists and doesnt have a solution, its then i can say no. But there isnt... So definitely YES! It can be corrected.
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 11:07pm On Sep 20, 2014
destante: Gosh I answered yes to all the questions. grin
okbye
the questions are like a magnifying glass. But you can handle it with the tips giving above ^^
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 11:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
Missmossy: Makes sense but am kinda confused,what has curiousity got to do with oversensitivity?
if you are at the scene of an accident, and your eager to see how it all goes, people would tag you as curious, thus the 'some call it curiousity'. But the actuall stuff is you cant imagine a life getting down like that. Between what it actually is and what people call it sometimes.
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by Janeify(f): 12:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
daveP: you mean ur legs are so sensitive to heels? Do you still wear them despite the aches, etc? Throw light better on your post....
i don't like the way i look tall when wearing one..my shoes now are mainly loafers
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 1:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
Janeify: i don't like the way i look tall when wearing one..my shoes now are mainly loafers
its a risk to force/strain the leg and one's heels with such. Cos afterall, u have to force yourself to adjust, which causes irritation. Its better being comfortable and insure one's ability to stand upright and fit at old age rather than bend at angle 78.

Well diff strokes for different folks. Its good you settled for that. wink

happy sunday!
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 1:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Make i comment before this thing enter FP.

Oversensitivity is really bad.
There is a disorder similar to it that's called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), its really bad.

Nice one DaveP
that one is really really bad. I wonder if people in naija would not push some of them to suicide.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/11/10-signs-may-have-obsessive-compulsive-disorder/
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by Missmossy(f): 2:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
daveP: if you are at the scene of an accident, and your eager to see how it all goes, people would tag you as curious, thus the 'some call it curiousity'. But the actuall stuff is you cant imagine a life getting down like that. Between what it actually is and what people call it sometimes.
Now i grabwink
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by destante(f): 5:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
daveP: the questions are like a magnifying glass. But you can handle it with the tips giving above ^^
okay I was jes joking on that. I'm never oversensitive smiley
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 8:04pm On Sep 21, 2014
Missmossy:
Now i grabwink
cool
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by daveP(m): 8:21pm On Sep 21, 2014
destante: okay I was jes joking on that. I'm never oversensitive smiley
hmm! Luckily im not close to make you pay for that trick smiley
Re: Dealing With Oversensitivity by destante(f): 8:30pm On Sep 21, 2014
daveP: hmm! Luckily im not close to make you pay for that trick smiley
Lol cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kindly Read A Miraculous Testimony & Know That Holy Spirit God Is Real / Young Man Finds His Girlfriend's N*de Photos On His Dad's Phone. (see Drama) / October Born: The 17 Peculiar Traits That Makes Us Standout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.