Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,806 members, 7,817,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult (2173 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 11:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
You must have been submersed in the today’s view of the Hausa, as they are seen as heralds of the religion of Islam. Were their ancestors truly holy and not filthy? The emir of Kano is not an Hausa rather a Fulani, the Fulanis were one of the leading nomads that islamised the Hausa and in 1805 established the Sokoto Caliphate after defeating the Hausa(Sarkis) kings in their decisive battles of revivalism. Before the conquests, the Hausas were animists and had a distinctive demonic occcult popularly known as the Bori cult.

The Bori cult is indeed popular in many Hausa states and at one time a state art in Kano. The ideology of the Bori cult is to communicate with demons, some people have termed it spiritual communication, and however the practices of the cultists are far from ordinary animism. The cult is an extremely feared cult with its heads as Sarkin Bori and Magagiyar Bori, but its generally overseen by the king’s sister, Sarikin Inna. The Inna is held in usually feared due to the amount of powers she possesses and has the prerogative of mercy regarding criminals. It is dominated by females called the Karuwai and few males popularly known as Yan daudu. They are known to sing and engage in occultic dances. Owing to the nature of the society then, females were considered as possessions as they do not take part in the political and economic arena, the Bori cult became a resort to a number of them.

The Karuwais are prostitutes as the name implies, while the Yan daudus are males, who adopt female mannerisms to the extent of wearing wrappers and are homosexuals, transsexuals and transvestites. If a Yan daudu cohabits with a male partner, he would have to be paid in money and clothes. They also have kinds of sex with the Kurawais and aromatic conversations with erotic lore.The women have no dress code thus they walked bare breast...www.horizonia.net
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by darnley16(m): 12:04am On Sep 21, 2014
Ohhhh cool, buh the thing is , I just don't give a fvck bruh.. *pats you on the back *

1 Like

Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Fulaman198(m): 6:59am On Sep 21, 2014
Tabspear: You must have been submersed in the today’s view of the Hausa, as they are seen as heralds of the religion of Islam. Were their ancestors truly holy and not filthy? The emir of Kano is not an Hausa rather a Fulani, the Fulanis were one of the leading nomads that islamised the Hausa and in 1805 established the Sokoto Caliphate after defeating the Hausa(Sarkis) kings in their decisive battles of revivalism. Before the conquests, the Hausas were animists and had a distinctive demonic occcult popularly known as the Bori cult.

The Bori cult is indeed popular in many Hausa states and at one time a state art in Kano. The ideology of the Bori cult is to communicate with demons, some people have termed it spiritual communication, and however the practices of the cultists are far from ordinary animism. The cult is an extremely feared cult with its heads as Sarkin Bori and Magagiyar Bori, but its generally overseen by the king’s sister, Sarikin Inna. The Inna is held in usually feared due to the amount of powers she possesses and has the prerogative of mercy regarding criminals. It is dominated by females called the Karuwai and few males popularly known as Yan daudu. They are known to sing and engage in occultic dances. Owing to the nature of the society then, females were considered as possessions as they do not take part in the political and economic arena, the Bori cult became a resort to a number of them.

The Karuwais are prostitutes as the name implies, while the Yan daudus are males, who adopt female mannerisms to the extent of wearing wrappers and are homosexuals, transsexuals and transvestites. If a Yan daudu cohabits with a male partner, he would have to be paid in money and clothes. They also have kinds of sex with the Kurawais and aromatic conversations with erotic lore.The women have no dress code thus they walked bare breast...www.horizonia.net

This isn't necessarily true. The Hausa people were Muslims long before we Fulani came to Nigeria. The Hausa were Muslims between the 11th and 12th centuries.
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Funjosh(m): 9:23am On Sep 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

This isn't necessarily true. The Hausa people were Muslims long before we Fulani came to Nigeria. The Hausa were Muslims between the 11th and 12th centuries.

I thought as much becos even the yorubas came in contact with Islam before 1800

1 Like

Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Fulaman198(m): 8:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
Funjosh:

I thought as much becos even the yorubas came in contact with Islam before 1800

Yes, that's correct. I think they too became Muslim because Wangara clerics from Mali brought Islam to the Yorubas in a peaceful manner.
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 7:00am On Sep 22, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yes but the Islam they practiced was mixed with syncretism and vast Hausa people were idolaters. There was a limited amount of pure Muslims.
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 7:04am On Sep 22, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yes, that's correct. I think they too became Muslim because Wangara clerics from Mali brought Islam to the Yorubas in a peaceful manner.

Islam came to the Yoruba land in the 16th century. Some Christian Scholars try to downplay its existence and claim it came in to the Yoruba territories in the close of the 18th century.

1 Like

Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Fulaman198(m): 7:07am On Sep 22, 2014
Tabspear:

Yes but the Islam they practiced was mixed with syncretism and vast Hausa people were idolaters. There was a limited amount of pure Muslims.

Yeah that's correct

1 Like

Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by kingston277(m): 3:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
Whooo...another religious bias thread. Fasinating.
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Fulaman198(m): 4:12am On Sep 23, 2014
kingston277: Whooo...another religious bias thread. Fasinating.

How is this a religious bias thread?
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 23, 2014
Op. I think ure trying to tarnish the image of hausa.

I can understand your frustration.
Because cultism and even homosexuals are common in other parts of nigeria (im not saying there isn't in hausa land)

My point is u might be right in some aspect coz I can agree with you on the "CULT" part.

But lets face the fact.
.............................................................................................
Most cultures in nigeria or even africa were long cultists I.e before the arrival of religion -
Thats fact!
.............................................................................................

But the idea of u selecting the hausa tribe alone seems disrespectful.

1 Like

Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by priscaoge(f): 6:53am On Sep 23, 2014
I hope this thread won't cause any tribal havoc hereundecidedundecided....Hmmm!
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 11:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
MuhdG: Op. I think ure trying to tarnish the image of hausa.

Because cultism and even homosexuals are common in other parts of nigeria (im not saying there isn't in hausa land)

My point is u might be right in some aspect coz I can agree with you on the "CULT" part.

But lets face the fact.
Most cultures in nigeria or even africa were long cultists I.e before the arrival of religion -
Thats fact!

well i'm not tribal bias, just an harbinger of history.
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 11:53pm On Sep 23, 2014
[quote author=MuhdG]Op. I think ure trying to tarnish the image of hausa.

But lets face the fact.
Thats fact!

But the idea of u selecting the hausa tribe alone seems disrespect

well, i'm not tribal bias just an harbinger of history.
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 12:00am On Sep 24, 2014
I'm not tribal bias, just an harbinger of lost history
MuhdG: Op. I think ure trying to tarnish the image of hausa.

But lets face the fact.
Thats fact!

Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 12:01am On Sep 24, 2014
Well! i'm not tribal bias. I'm just an harbinger of lost history
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Nobody: 5:54am On Sep 24, 2014
Tabspear: I'm not tribal bias, just an harbinger of lost history
Well if that's the case, ur write up should ve been about sth like "cultism in nigerian cultures before colonialism"

And not just about hausa.
And instead oc talking about just one culture you could give examples of diff cult activities in diff cultures
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by Tabspear(m): 7:42am On Sep 24, 2014
[quote author=MuhdG]
Well if that's the case, ur write up should ve been about sth like "cultism in nigerian cultures before colonialism"

And not just about hausa.
And instead oc talking about just one culture you could give examples of diff cult activities in diff cultures[/Well, what i wrote is peculiar with the Hausa, i see no reason why i should hide the fact]
Re: The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult by 30secs(m): 2:45pm On Sep 24, 2014
I have nothing to say about this post/topic. OP am not sure if you're making sense or talking nonsense

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Beautiful Destinations To Visit In Nigeria. Which of them is your best? / The Accent Marks In The Yorùbá Language. / The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.