Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,513 members, 7,826,943 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Time For Fathers To Get Involved - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Time For Fathers To Get Involved (1070 Views)

Lagos State Introduce Six-month Maternity Leave, 10 Days For Fathers / Write Your Best Birthday Sms For Fathers / Fathers To Get Six Months Of Paternity Leave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time For Fathers To Get Involved by Shinor(m): 12:27am On Sep 21, 2014
[b]Parenting is a role most people have come to perform without any formal training or previous experience. The transition to parenthood is often likened to waking up and suddenly realizing that one had become a parent.
As various aspects of life witness and embrace changes, parenting too has undergone a lot of changes with a view of helping to produce well balanced kids and wholesome families.
In most western climes, more and more men are taking on traditional roles previously associated with housewives. It is now common to see a high percentage of men involved in every facet of the children’s lives from school runs to cooking them meals and even accompanying them on school trips.
But this is yet to catch on in Africa where most men attach those roles to women ( these include grandmothers, mothers aunties and even house helps) and would not engage with their children unless it is absolutely necessary. The thought that the role of a lot of black men within the household is limited to the provision of finances and disciplinary strategies is wrong.
The children long for your touch. They long to hear you talk to them – not just when they’ve done something wrong but also when they excel. They want to hear daddy’s praise.
Men who continue to shy away from interacting with their children on a daily basis are depriving themselves of some of the joys of fatherhood. That old belief that men should not express emotions is nothing but a big fat lie and should be seen for what it really is.
Men all over the world have a lot to contribute to parenting and African men should not see themselves as exceptions. [/b]
Sina Adelaja-Olowoake
Parenting Strategies Coach

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by OnyeEgo1(m): 12:54am On Sep 21, 2014
Of recent in my life i am begining to appreciate and associate with my dad, me and the guy no really relate in my growing days until now wen i av seen d love he had for me den..... Culture had said men shud not show weaknesses but dis had affected the upbring of d child exp d male child

1 Like

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by AfricanApple(f): 1:47am On Sep 21, 2014
seriously that notion that men should not show weakness is the most stupid notion I have ever come across, yet something will be eating them up but they would rather die in silence.

truly, men should begin to understand that its not only d role of finances they have to play in their children's life. its d father who can be closer to his son than the the mother but Africans eh, our general culture is pride and ego

I missed those days I used to sit on my papi's lap

1 Like

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by Shinor(m): 8:07am On Sep 21, 2014
Those moments spent with our Dad's are priceless
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by greatgod2012(f): 10:36am On Sep 21, 2014
A real man/father knows that he has to be involved in his child/ren's upbringing.

#Fact
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 10:59am On Sep 21, 2014
Fatherhood is beyond spam donorship.when they know this conversation about fatherhood becomes easier. So for now let single motherhood continue

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 11:01am On Sep 21, 2014
Meanwhile

after watching this movie come back and tell me what fatherhood is all about

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 11:06am On Sep 21, 2014
When you come back from work and your children are happy to see you then you know you're doing a good job but vif reverse is the case and you know you won't be missed or even add to the problem then you know what to do

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 11:09am On Sep 21, 2014
So as I was saying

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 21, 2014
SAMBARRY: When you come back from work and your children are happy to see you then you know you're doing a good job but vif reverse is the case and you know you won't be missed or even add to the problem then you know what to do

Not necessarily true. Little children love their parents unconditionally. They are even happier to see the parent who is not around much and who doesn't care much because they miss him / her.

1 Like

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 21, 2014
every parent should make out time for their kids. Let them play, play with them, calm their fears, listen to them and still instill discipline.

Fathers love kiss kiss
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 11:51am On Sep 21, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Not necessarily true. Little children love their parents unconditionally. They are even happier to see the parent who is not around much and who doesn't care much because they miss him / her.
I have said mine and that's my opinion which I am so entitled to
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
SAMBARRY: I have said mine and that's my opinion which I am so entitled to

I never said you are not entitled to your opinion.
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 12:13pm On Sep 21, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I never said you are not entitled to your opinion.
yes ma smiley

1 Like

Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
SAMBARRY: yes ma smiley

wink smiley
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by ladygogo: 2:00pm On Sep 21, 2014
SAMBARRY: So as I was saying

Kulyie,this pic definitely brought tears to my eyes. embarassed
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by kreamidiva(f): 10:18pm On Sep 21, 2014
The children may be happy to see daddy because they hardly ever see him. Not necessarily because he's a good dad. Besides kids like gifts a lot and even if dad isn't doing his job as a dad and buys them gifts,they'll be excited to see him.

It's high time our men braced up to their fatherly roles. Be a part if your child's life not only financially but in all ramifications.
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 10:11am On Sep 22, 2014
ladygogo:

Kulyie,this pic definitely brought tears to my eyes. embarassed

lmao.na so na cheesy
Re: Time For Fathers To Get Involved by SAMBARRY: 10:14am On Sep 22, 2014
carefreewannabe:

wink smiley
kia free hawa you re wink

(1) (Reply)

Please Advise Me / Photo: Baby Born With Two Heads In Bangladesh / The Woman Everyone Should Have Met

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.