Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? (1791 Views)

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / 20 Incredibly Simple Words That Most People Spell Wrongly! / Egypt Air Wrongly Routed A Nigerian Student To Moldova (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by kosalabaro: 4:11pm On Sep 22, 2014
For a very long while now, I've quietly observed that a lot of people - students of all cadre, workers, teachers, professionals, artisans etc, etc - wrongly write names that have 'ae' in them as 'ea'.

Let me explain what I mean. Take the name, Michael for instance. This is the correct spelling - 'a' before 'e'. However, 9 out of every 10 persons will end up writing it as Micheal. This is totally wrong! And thew same goes for Rachael and Israel which are also wrongly written as Racheal and Isreal!

But surprisingly words and names that contain 'ea' (letter e before a in consecutive sequence) are always written correctly and are hardly ever spelt/written the other way round. Examples include beans, Sean, Sea, Dean, Peanuts, beast etc, etc

Why then is the error always with Michael, Rachael and Israel? Does it have to do with the keyboard and placing of the alphabets or what?

Please, if you have answers to this 'mystery' kindly share it for us to learn. shocked

Thank you.
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by culata: 4:41pm On Sep 22, 2014
anybody wit an ans pls?
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by SupaJoe(m): 5:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
From the pronunciation, it sounded more like 'e' before 'a'. And when people read, they barely note the difference. Am victim of Israel, but I know that of Michael and Rachael too well
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by Aidy97(f): 5:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Some computers correct israel to isreal
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by Ichel: 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Aidy97: Some computers correct israel to isreal
The computer must be 1970 brands

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by StealthyMe(m): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
Same thing baffles me...especially mistaking 'Michael' for 'Micheal' which i see often undecided
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by somcherry(f): 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Maybe because its more common to see a word with 'E before A' than 'A before E'.
Apart from israel,michael and rachael,I can't think of any other word with A before E.

Just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2014
The same thing goes for RAPHAEL, they do put the 'E' before 'A'. Imagine banks, even exam bodies such as waec, neco e.t.c do make d same mistake.
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by rattlesnake(m): 8:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
Except the gods
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by gunuvi(m): 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
OK we don hear but how will this help pay for my 15th bottles if star lager now?
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by adekennis(m): 9:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
Whites believe pple that writes that way are Africans.
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by SMALLPENIS(f): 10:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
question......
#ForThegods
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2014
what annoys me is when Christians do it. I can understand for people of other faith but Christians?

Ichel: The computer must be 1970 brands
maybe name chinco sef
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by Emmyk(m): 11:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Was guilty.... A very long time ago.
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by constance500: 11:05pm On Sep 22, 2014
I'm coming.. Lemme reach Wikipedia
Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by Raypawer(m): 11:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
....cos they want to spell as they pronounce it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Spell Michael, Israel And Rachael Wrongly? by practicalclass: 11:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
Because its not their name.

(1) (Reply)

9 Countries That Pay The Highest Minimum Wages / FUNAAB Acceptance Fee Payment Procedures 2016 / My Profile On Nicki Minaj Sex Video 64 Still Brings 119 Actresses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.