Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture (2190 Views)

How To Survive A Dog Attack (pictures) / See The N40 Egg Soup broke CRUTECH Students cook To Survive / Sad! Lecture Room 184 At The University of Jos.(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:48am On Sep 25, 2014

Some lectures could be more effective at putting you to sleep than Ambien.
The lecturer’s mouth is moving but you can’t seem to make out anything he’s saying. Eventually you give up trying to listen and glance down at your notes for guidance. Instead of writing, however, there are doodles of badly drawn cats. Miserable and defeated, you lay your head on the desk, mentally kicking yourself for playing Temple Run the past hour.If this sounds familiar, don’t worry – I promise you’re not alone. From today, it’s time to put your Angry Birds back in their cages, whip out those notebooks and start scribbling! Here are some tips for making that dull lecture a teeny tiny bit more bearable…

1. PREPARATION
Preparation (not to be confused with procrastination) is a word that strikes fear into the hearts of uni students everywhere. As hellish as it sounds, it’s a simple concept that can improve a lecture ten-fold! Take the time before a lecture to read ahead and behold, the lecturer makes way more sense! The better you understand, the more likely you are to listen.

2. PARTICIPATE
As cheesy as it sounds, participate in class discussions. People feel their opinions do not matter and that is why they don’t participate in class. In reality however, people do actually care about your personal opinion, especially your lecturer! I’ve realised that participating in class can make the discussion a little more interesting.

3. FRIENDS
You may as well do this thing together! Sit with someone you know, and motivate each other to listen. A little bit of company (even if it’s just someone to exchange confused looks with) is always good to have in class.

4. BRAIN FOOD
If you’re hungry or thirsty, it’s almost impossible to concentrate. Stash a bottle of water and some (healthy) study snacks in your bag and reach for them when you feel your concentration fading.

5. NOTES
Make your notes pretty and have fun doing it by using some colour. Using different colour pens for different points will help to make the material more memorable and help to keep your mind on study when the discussion strays into orbiter territory. Plus when exam preparation time roll around you will thank yourself for that extra effort you put into your lecture notes during class.

6. PHONES
Do not take out your phone to answer or read emails. Again, this will make the boredom worse. You are essentially running away from the problem by turning to the phone rather than confronting the issue head on. This is an E student response. Moreover, it is a bad habit. After uni, you might find yourself in other boring situations like work meetings. It is not a good (or beneficial) idea to tune out and gravitate to your phone while others are talking. Indeed, there will be times when your good friends bore you! Would you take out your phone while they talk? Of course not. For class time, strengthen your concentration abilities and keep the phone in your bag. We’ve all been through a boring lecture. You will survive! Remember, it is your grade on the line, so don’t shy away from the class even if you need to muster all of your brain power to stay alert. Good luck! Culled from Sugarbrands Students Lifestyle Blog

Read more at: http://.com/6-ways-survive-boring-lecture-share/#sthash.6s8pRm3y.dpbs | NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by sammoe(m): 11:51am On Sep 25, 2014
The most important for me is participation. Participation on a physical and mental level usually precludes boredom.
At least, from experience...
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by iceberylin(m): 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
ßŐŔĔĎŐM ČŐÚĹĎ kill angry
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by daveP(m): 1:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
This is hard! The air in the lecture room lacks d spark of interaction. Sleep sure pass! Unless one have a audio/video device to make things easier.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by ichommy(m): 9:17pm On Oct 02, 2014
Weldone Op
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:44pm On Oct 02, 2014
ichommy: Weldone Op

Thanks bro.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by barackodam: 9:52pm On Oct 02, 2014
That'll help
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 07, 2014
After all these sometimes you end up missing out of the actual reason you're in the class.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:58am On Oct 07, 2014
Elantracey:
After all these sometimes you end up missing out of the actual reason you're in the class.

Hmm. Can u explain more?
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by Nobody: 1:34am On Oct 07, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Hmm. Can u explain more?

picking up the friends part , you know during a lecture there are times when the lecturer explains some main important point and if during this time you choose to engage in some chitchat and body language you tend to miss out .

And also amidst all these there are some lecturers that brings sleep and tiredness into the class, I don't know if you have experienced such before .
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 8:42am On Oct 07, 2014
Elantracey:

picking up the friends part , you know during a lecture there are times when the lecturer explains some main important point and if during this time you choose to engage in some chitchat and body language you tend to miss out .

And also amidst all these there are some lecturers that brings sleep and tiredness into the class, I don't know if you have experienced such before .

Lol. Yeah.

About the friends part.
Its adviceable to seat beside friends that will motivate u or in a neutral place, better still at the front.

About the boing lecturers, i tend to read my other lecture notes, keeping my mind attentive to pick any important thing he will say. And being active in d class is good. Keep asking questions
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 07, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Lol. Yeah.

About the friends part.
Its adviceable to seat beside friends that will motivate u or in a neutral place, better still at the front.

About the boing lecturers, i tend to read my other lecture notes, keeping my mind attentive to pick any important thing he will say. And being active in d class is good. Keep asking questions

Yea true but there are some lecturers that don't like to be asked questions while they are teaching , they prefer you write it down and ask at the end of the class, I have one like that .
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by killercute16(m): 9:50am On Oct 07, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Lol. Yeah.

About the friends part.

This is the main reason i visit nairaland....thanks op.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:25am On Oct 07, 2014
Elantracey:

Yea true but there are some lecturers that don't like to be asked questions while they are teaching , they prefer you write it down and ask at the end of the class, I have one like that .

Lol. Okay.

you have to find something else to keep u in tune then.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:32am On Oct 07, 2014
killercute16:
This is the main reason i visit nairaland....thanks op.

Uwc.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by CJPresh(f): 9:00am On Oct 14, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Some lectures could be more effective at putting you to sleep than Ambien.
The lecturer’s mouth is moving but you can’t seem to make out anything he’s saying. Eventually you give up trying to listen and glance down at your notes for guidance. Instead of writing, however, there are doodles of badly drawn cats. Miserable and defeated, you lay your head on the desk, mentally kicking yourself for playing Temple Run the past hour.If this sounds familiar, don’t worry – I promise you’re not alone. From today, it’s time to put your Angry Birds back in their cages, whip out those notebooks and start scribbling! Here are some tips for making that dull lecture a teeny tiny bit more bearable…

1. PREPARATION
Preparation (not to be confused with procrastination) is a word that strikes fear into the hearts of uni students everywhere. As hellish as it sounds, it’s a simple concept that can improve a lecture ten-fold! Take the time before a lecture to read ahead and behold, the lecturer makes way more sense! The better you understand, the more likely you are to listen.

2. PARTICIPATE
As cheesy as it sounds, participate in class discussions. People feel their opinions do not matter and that is why they don’t participate in class. In reality however, people do actually care about your personal opinion, especially your lecturer! I’ve realised that participating in class can make the discussion a little more interesting.

3. FRIENDS
You may as well do this thing together! Sit with someone you know, and motivate each other to listen. A little bit of company (even if it’s just someone to exchange confused looks with) is always good to have in class.

4. BRAIN FOOD
If you’re hungry or thirsty, it’s almost impossible to concentrate. Stash a bottle of water and some (healthy) study snacks in your bag and reach for them when you feel your concentration fading.

5. NOTES
Make your notes pretty and have fun doing it by using some colour. Using different colour pens for different points will help to make the material more memorable and help to keep your mind on study when the discussion strays into orbiter territory. Plus when exam preparation time roll around you will thank yourself for that extra effort you put into your lecture notes during class.

6. PHONES
Do not take out your phone to answer or read emails. Again, this will make the boredom worse. You are essentially running away from the problem by turning to the phone rather than confronting the issue head on. This is an E student response. Moreover, it is a bad habit. After uni, you might find yourself in other boring situations like work meetings. It is not a good (or beneficial) idea to tune out and gravitate to your phone while others are talking. Indeed, there will be times when your good friends bore you! Would you take out your phone while they talk? Of course not. For class time, strengthen your concentration abilities and keep the phone in your bag. We’ve all been through a boring lecture. You will survive! Remember, it is your grade on the line, so don’t shy away from the class even if you need to muster all of your brain power to stay alert. Good luck! Culled from Sugarbrands Students Lifestyle Blog

Read more at: http://.com/6-ways-survive-boring-lecture-share/#sthash.6s8pRm3y.dpbs | NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS
For me,preparations before lecture is the most active,scribbling might save the day!...including any blunder the lecturer makes,it worked for me in sec.schl.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2014
CJPresh:

For me,preparations before lecture is the most active,scribbling might save the day!...including any blunder the lecturer makes,it worked for me in sec.schl.

That's good.

Now in a university?
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by hulkhiharitoz(m): 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2014
Make I book space .... In case
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by CJPresh(f): 8:03pm On Oct 14, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

That's good.

Now in a university?
Jst got admitted,UNIBEN
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:19pm On Oct 14, 2014
CJPresh:

Jst got admitted,UNIBEN

Cool
what course?
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:28pm On Oct 14, 2014
CJPresh:

Jst got admitted,UNIBEN

Nice.

What course?
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by CJPresh(f): 11:30pm On Oct 14, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Cool
what course?
Bus Admin
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:45am On Oct 15, 2014
CJPresh:

Bus Admin

Tis cool

Your day?
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by chimhigher(m): 2:21am On Oct 15, 2014
GUYS PLS HOW DO I CREATE A LINK?? I CREATED
A TOPIC ND I WANT 2 SEND IT TO "RECOMMENEFD
THREAD 4 FRONTPAGE" but i dnt knw hw 2 create
a link...PLS HELP
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by CJPresh(f): 8:56am On Oct 15, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Tis cool

Your day?
Ts goin smoothly,urz?
R u in uni?,if yes,which nd what course wer u givn to study??
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
CJPresh:

Ts goin smoothly,urz?
R u in uni?,if yes,which nd what course wer u givn to study??

Went well.

Yup
Computer science

Tell me more about your course?
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by CJPresh(f): 4:01pm On Oct 21, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Went well.

Yup
Computer science

Tell me more about your course?
It's self-explanatory na.,it stresses virtually everythin concerning the business sector.,from critical thinking to proper management planning to entrepreneurship...nd so on.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:13am On Oct 22, 2014
CJPresh:

It's self-explanatory na.,it stresses virtually everythin concerning the business sector.,from critical thinking to proper management planning to entrepreneurship...nd so on.

Okay.
That's nice.

Wishing u a nice day ahead
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by CJPresh(f): 10:23am On Oct 22, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Okay.
That's nice.

Wishing u a nice day ahead
Thnks dear,u have a nice day too.
Re: Some Ways To Survive A Boring Lecture by LogoDWhiz(m): 3:02pm On Oct 22, 2014
chimhigher:
GUYS PLS HOW DO I CREATE A LINK?? I CREATED
A TOPIC ND I WANT 2 SEND IT TO "RECOMMENEFD
THREAD 4 FRONTPAGE" but i dnt knw hw 2 create
a link...PLS HELP

Which browser do u use?

(1) (Reply)

These Completely Useless Facts Are Guaranteed To Make You More Interesting. / JAMB 2017/2018 / My 2016 UNN Dream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.