Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,279 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

P-square “double Trouble” Album Couldn’t Have Been More Prosaic – The MOB’S Take - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / P-square “double Trouble” Album Couldn’t Have Been More Prosaic – The MOB’S Take (1260 Views)

Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / Music: P-square - Double Trouble Full Album Download / Psquare Unveils 6th Album “double Trouble” Album Cover Art And Tracklisting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

P-square “double Trouble” Album Couldn’t Have Been More Prosaic – The MOB’S Take by soltesh(m): 3:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
ALBUM: DOUBLE TROUBLE
ARTIST: P-SQUARE
RELEASED: 2014

I must say that the predictably banal title of P-square’s sixth studio album did little to heighten my expectation as I copped the album. However, after a thorough appraisal, here’s my candid thought on this work. grin

The Double Trouble album couldn’t have started, for me, on a more unimpressive note than it did with shekini. I mean, what is shekini kini kini ki…? This song is nothing but soft-witted ramblings slapped unto a patently unimaginative, sekem-esque beat. Or how else can one explain this line,

“I get the power, I no dey bother, I no be footballer but I sabi do the Ronaldo.” Well…

Next song is Missing you, a typical P-square love song except for the largely unremarkable production with a bassline quite akin to the one on Waconzy’s “celebrate” song. Nothing special.

Bring it on starts with an unassuming piano intro accompanied by Dave Scott’s transcendental vocals, confidently urging the listener to, Bring it on, before Paul chimes in with a sub-par verse which they make up for with the second verse. Dave Scott almost single handedly made this song the jam that it is with his masterfully delivered chorus. You’ve got to love the measured way in which Dave’s trained voice falls on the beats; simply professional, you can’t wing it.

I like the chorus of the MMS{Mugu Money Spender) song and the up-tempo vibe, but again, it also feels too much like a Runtown/MC Galaxy type of song to me; a turn off for me. See if you agree.

Ifeoma is another typical P-square love song with the usual basic, nondescript beat. However, lines like: “and all the things wey she do nobody can replace her, and when she vex she waka nobody fit trace her,” and “I’m down on my knees and I’m begging you please,” just made the song unbearable for me.

Finally, Ejeajo comes to the rescue. This tune heightened my interest in the album. This is the kind of creative leap I expect from a huge band like P-square, if only they kept the creative juice flowing at this level, if only. Although T.I was unintelligible some of the time, it didn’t take much away from the song. Shout out to V-Tec for this jam. The beat is international and there was real effort in the arrangement.

When the biggest artists in your country collaborate to make music and the end product is Collabo, you know something’s sorely amiss. Collabo is an unflattering caricature of all that Music should be. Ronaldo again?? Na wa o. Don Jazzy should have turned this one down; but no, we must sing!

Ogadigide was the better written love song on this album, and I like it.

While No be joke was a fair R&B jam, Enemy solo was, for me, the alpha villain of the project. What is this newfangled obsession with Awilo about biko? And why is the Nigerian act hell bent on making makossa trendy again? I’ll tell you why; we crave shortcuts, cheap music, and abhor mental exertion.

Moving on, If you are finding it difficult to conjecture what a song titled Sari Sari would sound like, even before listening; you’re either not from here or you need to work on your imagination. Otherwise, your guess is probably as good as mine.

Zombie ft Jermaine Jackson: This is another huge jam!! I love the James-Brown-style funk feel of the song. The songwriting, production, arrangement and choice of feature, were all deserving of praise; it’s a joy from start to finish. I love this song.
- See more at: 9janimi Channel - Act Blog!

Get Some Of The Tracks:-

- Collabo F/ Don Jazzy
- Ejeajo F/ T.I
- Bring it on f/ Dave Scott

- Get Other Tracks! Purchase Album on iTunes

Read The Full Review There//
Re: P-square “double Trouble” Album Couldn’t Have Been More Prosaic – The MOB’S Take by ejiro2130(m): 5:19pm On Sep 26, 2014
Op ur link for bring it on download leads to an error page

1 Like

Re: P-square “double Trouble” Album Couldn’t Have Been More Prosaic – The MOB’S Take by soltesh(m): 9:57am On Sep 27, 2014
Ejiro we are really sorry for the mp3 link to tried clicking when you followed the link from here, have just updated them and it should work just fine now.

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of Winners At The Headies Award 2014 / Compose A Song For Me. / Pls Hlp Me With This Old School Music .please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.