Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,592 members, 7,809,146 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station (1023 Views)

Photos From A Ghastly Accident Between A Fuel Tanker And Trailer On Ikorodu Road / Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station by bravolad(m): 10:50pm On Sep 25, 2014
Before I share this experience, I must say that life is a learning process and we learn on a Daily basis. Caution, carefulness and approach are a vital ingredients in conflict resolution. This is a slightly lengthy story.

On September 23, 2014, I had less than a quarter tank fuel left or just about that so I drove into a fuel station (name withheld) that I regularly use in Abuja. For safety reasons, I have deliberately omitted the name of the petrol station. I shall explain my reason for this decision a little later. As I drove into the fuel station, there was no queue so I headed straight on to one of the attendants who beckoned me forward. Before he started, I made sure the meter was wiped off from the last person attended to and ensured I was not swindled.

While my tank was almost full, I observed that the colour of the fuel was reddish hue (brownish) a little different from the the normal fuel colour. I expressed my concern but the man quickly dispelled my fears by saying that they are a reputable oil company and would not engage in any image tarnishing venture.

My tank was filled with approximately 73.86 liters. Thereafter, I left but shortly afterwards, less than a mile away, my check light came on and the vehicle switched off in the middle of the road. I made a desperate unsuccessful attempts to restart it but to no avail. I got off and placed my "C" caution behind as a warning to other motorists that I was in distress. I thought for a while; my vehicle has neither switched off on the road nor stop in such a manner. What could be the problem? I opened the bonnet but nothing seemed to be wrong.

The next thought was to call the garage I use. So I put a call across to them. He asked if I did anything on the vehicle and I said no. Meanwhile, I told him that he knows that if I had any problems his garage is my first point of call. I then told him that I just bought fuel. His response was; wow! That's the culprit. "They sold water to you". He then suggested I go back to the fuel station to complain to them. It is their responsibility to ensure that the water is removed from my fuel tank. The mechanic at this time was certain that water was responsible for what happened to the vehicle.

I said ok. But how do I convince anybody that my vehicle stopped after I bought fuel. After all, so many other vehicles buy fuel from the same station without experiencing the same problem on my hands right now. As I went into the fuel station, so many cars were streaming in to buy fuel. First, I went to the man that attended to me. I already know his name because I usually take note of that. I asked him if he could remember me that I just bought fuel from him. He said yes and also remembered our discussion about the colour of their fuel. I quickly thought "good, at least no denial. A step forward". I told him I'm afraid there's water in the fuel he sold to me. Surprisingly, he asked me; how are you sure your vehicle stopped because you bought fuel? I said it is my car and I know it is very sound and had no problem prior to my buying fuel at their station. He then said as a precautionary measure, they test for water before commencing sales everyday. It could not have been from them. A customer whom he was serving at that point with a 2007 Camry quickly interjected: but all of us are buying the same fuel? How come no other person is complaining? I felt like a loner...but I countered him immediately by saying that it's a possibility.

Then I requested to see the manager. He invited some other people in the same uniform as his but very calm and cautious of my choice of words, I insisted on speaking with the manager. When the manager came, I explained to him what happened and what my mechanic said. Amazingly, the manager did not object/argue but requested that their mechanic must verify to ascertain what could be responsible.

The mechanic, two other people and myself set out to the place. Alas, the mechanic's checks confirmed water in my tank and as a matter of fact, a lot of it. We managed to take the vehicle back to the fuel station. At this point, the manager and other employees of the fuel station were actually very apologetic to me.
Realizing that it could become a scandal the manager promised that they would bear whatever the cost of rectifying it. Before then, my mechanic has informed me that the only way to avoid a perennial problem with my vehicle was to bring the fuel tank down and the clean the injector nozzles with injector cleaner.

They happily agreed to do all those. Initially, I insisted to carry out the work at my mechanic workshop but the station manager voiced out his only concern of scandal in which case the garage may now use it as a reference point. I saw reason with this critical thinking but my fear was how competent their mechanic/electrician would be. After an assurance that they would do a good job, I caved in.

So the following day, I went for the work. When my fuel filter was removed, it was covered in dirt. So dirty that sooner or later, it may fail. Finally, it was cleaned, refitted and my fuel refilled from a different pump. The job lasted about 5 hours.

One fascinating thing was the humility of the manager, his prompt response and decision making and of course, willingness to accept a mistake and address it head-on. He also suspended that particular pump and told me he had written a report about it. Now, for this singular act of sincerity, I have decided I would not mention the name of the fuel station because I am satisfied with their service. I would always patronize and recommend them. I believe it was a mistake. If I had gone in screaming and shouting...perhaps, I would get a different result. I learnt to approach any situation with calm and caution.

Lastly, kudos to the garage I use (Autogenesis, 86, Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent, Abuja) for knowing exactly where to probe. A road side mechanic may have fumbled with it and damaged other things.

1 Like

Re: I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
Seriously??If I was in your shoes I would have sued them,am 200 percent sure they will buy a new vehicle for me for that singular act
Re: I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station by Truth24(m): 11:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
Mmmmm I thought u're gonna realize d water was filled by some marine spirits from ur village....
well tank God u didn't...
Re: I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station by mayor2013: 6:36am On Sep 26, 2014
Well since you didn't drive for long before identifying with the problem. Would have suggested you change your fuel pump. But its all good it was detected on time and the problem solved almost immediately. Now back to the petrol filling station. I have come to a decisive conclusion that some filling stations don't know how to construct properly their storage pit. Some of them make their ground slopy there by allow easy flow of water down to the storage pit. Have seen cases of such. You are one of a lucky man
Re: I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station by bravolad(m): 9:54am On Sep 26, 2014
Truth24: Mmmmm I thought u're gonna realize d water was filled by some marine spirits from ur village....
well tank God u didn't...

Such assumption would apparently be the beginning of one's problem. Tackle issues as they arise rather than recourse to superstition and old traditional voodoos.

edozie04: Seriously??If I was in your shoes I would have sued them,am 200 percent sure they will buy a new vehicle for me for that singular act

Peaceful resolution of conflict is tantamount to harmony and tranquility.

@mayor2013, the fuel pump looked ok but clogged. That's the reason it was cleaned. In addition to location of their storage tanks, I thought fuel stations should have different layers of filter to monitor water infiltration into their system. A lot of people grapple with this problem without knowing its source.
Re: I Got Water In My Tank After Buying Fuel From A Fuel Station by jodeci01: 9:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
Once happened to me but managed to get the car home as it wouldn't accelerate higher than 20km/h, I dare not mention the Station where i bought this batch of bad fuel as even my pips don't believe me and assume it was probably the remnant of the previous fuel in Car. Been wary of where I gas up since then.

(1) (Reply)

Samsung See-through Safety Truck (photo) / Car Change / Help!!! Need Advise Concerning A 2001 S600 Mercedes Benz With V12 Engine........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.