Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur (1227 Views)

What Lucrative Business Can A Student Start With #50,000 / Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler / Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by buemene(m): 12:06am On Sep 27, 2014
According to my high school report card, I shouldn’t be where I am today. My college GPA will concur. Ask around among my teachers and former classmates and they’ll probably recall me as a below average student, at best, and “that kid with learning disabilities,” at worst.

Schools are built to cater to one specific type of student. For the rest of the world – the creative thinkers, the talented artists, the energetic athletes – sitting at a desk for hours on end, memorizing lists and analyzing information in a test taking format doesn’t necessarily compute with our skill set.

Personally, I found the theoretical nature of school studies antithetical to my own way of thinking. Who cares if Adam has ten green apples and Sarah has four less? The main question is, could Adam get Sarah to buy those apples off of him for more than he paid? Now that’s my kind of thinking.

The covert information that no one tells you as you suffer through years of feeling second class is: succeeding in business requires completely different areas of proficiency than succeeding in school. Most of the information that you learn in school is entirely irrelevant when you go out into the real world. I don’t even use half the stuff I learned in my business marketing class and I spend all day marketing my businesses.

To succeed as an entrepreneur, you need to know how to market yourself and your product. You have to be able to sell. It’s important to be able to manage, so you can keep your burgeoning business afloat. You need people skills because there’s a lot of interpersonal interaction. Honesty, integrity and creativity are all major pluses. When was the last time your school tested you on how to give a firm handshake and a genuine smile? Believe it or not, lots of valedictorians can’t pull off these two crucial components of a business deal.

To those out there who think success in school is a measure of future accomplishment, I am here to say, it is NOT.
Don’t look at your grades, your test scores, or your teachers’ opinions.

Don’t focus on your learning disabilities or your inability to remember immaterial dates and numbers. Not everyone is cut out for success in school and that’s okay: it’s not a true measure of what you can achieve.

If you’ve got drive, creativity, motivation, passion and the ability to push up your sleeves and get to work, then come join the Entrepreneur’s Club. We’ll be happy to have you and we don’t need your SAT scores to let you in; we know you can succeed no matter what number the College Board gave you.

I certainly did.

Felt like sharing with all entrepreneurs out there. It motivated me. To Read more at http://under30ceo.com/failed-student-succeeded-entrepreneur/#mmYiQkz8SGJUuoEp.99

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by XuteSleeks(m): 12:19am On Sep 27, 2014
The number of entrepreneurs claiming to have done badly in school is just amazing. Somehow I feel it might statrue sending the wrong signals to the schooling generation.

If my grades don't go up by the next session, I'll drop out and be an entrepreneur

*My thoughts*

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by onlinebenefits: 12:38am On Sep 27, 2014
Success is not in the school, it is in individuals
Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 12:57am On Sep 27, 2014
onlinebenefits: Success is not in the school, it is in individuals
don't be a bad ambassador to your generation, school nutures those talents and motivate the individual to make adequate use of it......let me ask you....why is it that most success comes from ‘school' drop outs and not from street urchins that never attended school? the answer is because they realise their pursuit of happiness through school and had to quit to pursue it.

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by deeobserver209(m): 8:28am On Sep 27, 2014
Excellent. The kind of writeups I like to feature in my blog. Certainly school success is not everything. That's the bane of Nigeria today. We are too obsessed with obtaining certificates.
Do not mis-interpret the Op. The article's purpose is not discourage people from going to school but to show that surviving out there in the real world one needs more than just school knowledge to succeed.
The founder of hyundai cooperation, Chung Ju Yung for instance had only a primary school certificate. Today his family control one of the largest conglomerates in the world.
While it's important to go to school to learn how to read and write, it's important we realize that individuals mentality and street-wise determines how we succeed out there in real life.

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 27, 2014
To those out there who think success in
school is a measure of future accomplishment, I am here to say, it is NOT. Don’t look at your grades, your test scores, or your teachers’ opinions.
You would do well not to send your children to school at all. What's the point of going to school if you think it is not important to study and make good grades?

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by MyIncorp: 9:05am On Sep 27, 2014
School don't guarantee entrepreneurship; but the lessons learnt in schools can be significant in your entrepreneurial journey.

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by marcjoe(m): 9:36am On Sep 27, 2014
MyIncorp: School don't guarantee entrepreneurship; but the lessons learnt in schools can be significant in your entrepreneurial journey.

Exactly...
Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by neksummi(m): 10:14am On Sep 27, 2014
MyIncorp: School don't guarantee entrepreneurship; but the lessons learnt in schools can be significant in your entrepreneurial journey.

I agree with you. The point is your entrepreneurial success doesn't depend on your success in school.
Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by onlinebenefits: 11:39am On Sep 27, 2014
KAYCEEJUNIOR: don't be a bad ambassador to your generation, school nutures those talents and motivate the individual to make adequate use of it......let me ask you....why is it that most success comes from ‘school' drop outs and not from street urchins that never attended school? the answer is because they realise their pursuit of happiness through school and had to quit to pursue it.
but going to school does not guarantee you success
Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by acorntree(m): 12:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
onlinebenefits:
but going to school does not guarantee you success
being entrepreneur does not also guarantee you success. There are also so many broke entrepreneur. Only few successful ones are celebrated. Entrepreurship is overrated.
Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by jaz(m): 1:35pm On Sep 27, 2014
acorntree: being entrepreneur does not also guarantee you success. There are also so many broke entrepreneur. Only few successful ones are celebrated. Entrepreurship is overrated.

yeah. talking like a true employee... hope u don't tell ur kids the same... just my 2 cents
Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by timifakay(m): 6:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
To me, what matters is discovering what motivates you and makes learning easiest for you. Not all of us are cut out to cram and pour out as expected of today‘s educational system.

The thing is; examinations are not always a true test of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Why I Failed As A Student And Succeeded As An Entrepreneur by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 28, 2014
Happened to me,I lost interest as there was nothing challenging enough in the school system curiculum,my grades were poor,and I may have done better in a startup hub for entrepreneurs

(1) (Reply)

CBN Increases Outbound Transfer Limit To $5,000 / Which Good Business Can One Start With 400k? / More Banks To End Usage Of Naira Credit/debit Card Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.