Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,655 members, 7,955,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:50 AM

Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation (7897 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Now Open In Nigeria!!-Aroms Farms Nig Ltd (Plantain/Banana Macro-Sucker Biz) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 27, 2014
I just finished planting plantain . The people dt cleared the land told me dt they saw monkeys in nearby plots but i did not take it serious. On my way to the farm today, i saw with my eyes . Monkeys were devouring maize(unripe) from a land /farm closeby. The monkeys, five in no, ran to a tree acros the road when they heard our noise coming. If monkey can do dt to a maize farm, what will be d fate of a plantain farm? I called some plantain farmers in Ugwuoba and they said they dont have monkeys there.

The iita guy on plantain told me to use scarecrow with bells . Monkeys are inteligent beings. Do u think scarecrow will send them away? I know i still have a lot of time to fruting (9months to one year) but i need to start thinking abt dt now. I also noticed foot prints of some animals in my farm.

Please i need suggestions on how to keep monkeys at bay.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
A scarecrow or hay-man will help

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by FarmTech(m): 5:52pm On Sep 28, 2014
They can get use to scarescrows with time. An effective method is to use black-face monkeys called langurs. You can also catch one monkey and paint it red, that one will chase his group away. If another group come u repeat the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Pavore9: 8:45pm On Sep 28, 2014
You still have hope, if you were in Awka where monkeys are untouchable, you have no hope because it is believed it played very active role in the survival and safety of Awka people.

lt is said during those days of tribal and communal wars the monkeys informed the Awka people of the plot by their enemies to launch an onslaught on the town. They gave them information of where they were coming from and they took precautions.

So in appreciation to the monkeys they had some sort of a covenant with them that since they had saved their lives no Awka would harm or kill a monkey in the town. If you kill the “enwe Awka (Awka monkey), you would be made to go through the traditional rituals of appeasing the land and the monkey would be given a funeral benefiting of a human being.

l remember when l stayed at Amaenyi Awka, l saw a monkey hopping in the sitting room it came in from the balcony, l screamed.............. grin
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by securi: 12:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for this information contrary to an earlier response in this forum that there is no monkey invasion in this part of the country.

A farmer I asked told me that one of the potent ways of sending them away is to catch one and tie small bell or any object that can make serious sound/noise on the monkey and release the monkey. According to him, other monkeys will keep running away from this particular one as long as this strange noise emanate from it until they all leave the vicinity.
He claimed it works so well in his farm, he actually caught about 3 and these 3 chase all of them away from the vicinity.

Has anyone heard or tried this before?
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by FarmTech(m): 1:31am On Sep 30, 2014
securi: Thanks for this information contrary to an earlier response in this forum that there is no monkey invasion in this part of the country.

A farmer I asked told me that one of the potent ways of sending them away is to catch one and tie small bell or any object that can make serious sound/noise on the monkey and release the monkey. According to him, other monkeys will keep running away from this particular one as long as this strange noise emanate from it until they all leave the vicinity.
He claimed it works so well in his farm, he actually caught about 3 and these 3 chase all of them away from the vicinity.

Has anyone heard or tried this before?
It is also similar to the painting i talked about. People say it work. Now op shud be thinking about how to catch one.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Denn(m): 7:32am On Sep 30, 2014
How do you catch a monkey?
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Pavore9: 8:10am On Sep 30, 2014
Denn: How do you catch a monkey?
That is a question that can be answered in the "spirit world". cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by bigx(m): 9:02am On Sep 30, 2014

Ask the monkeyhunters,

@mercilicious should know better grin

1 Like

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Denn(m): 9:25am On Sep 30, 2014
There is a saying in Yoruba.... Eni ti o be fe mu obo gbodo se bi obo.... He who wants to catch a monkey must act like one...

1 Like

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by currentprice: 1:58pm On Sep 30, 2014
bigx:

Ask the monkeyhunters,

grin grin grin
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by securi: 3:03pm On Sep 30, 2014
grin grin grin
bigx:

Ask the monkeyhunters,

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
Anyway, i just pray dt by dt time it starts fruiting, serious development would hv come to dt place n nt will chase away d monkeys. If not, i will hv to employ a hunter in d farm. securi, u will help wit d assigment of catching d monkey.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by securi: 8:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
grin You need hunters not security men.We are needed @ Sambisa forest and not banana/baboon republics
mercylicious: Anyway, i just pray dt by dt time it starts fruiting, serious development would hv come to dt place n nt will chase away d monkeys. If not, i will hv to employ a hunter in d farm. securi, u will help wit d assigment of catching d monkey.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 30, 2014
Buy kaikai(local gin) and put it in a big white bowl abt 10-15litres put fresh bananas beside d bowl a lot of banana as they eat d banana they will drink from d bowl thinking its water my brother na u go carry as much as u want cause dem go sleep there until eye clear

3 Likes

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Denn(m): 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2014
obakovich:
Buy kaikai(local gin) and put it in a big white bowl abt 10-15litres put fresh bananas beside d bowl a lot of banana as they eat d banana they will drink from d bowl thinking its water my brother na u go carry as much as u want cause dem go sleep there until eye clear
are you sure?

I won't drink kaikai if I were a monkey.... Where you put red label?

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by world1(m): 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
mercylicious: I just finished planting plantain . The people dt cleared the land told me dt they saw monkeys in nearby plots but i did not take it serious. On my way to the farm today, i saw with my eyes . Monkeys were devouring maize(unripe) from a land /farm closeby. The monkeys, five in no, ran to a tree acros the road when they heard our noise coming. If monkey can do dt to a maize farm, what will be d fate of a plantain farm? I called some plantain farmers in Ugwuoba and they said they dont have monkeys there.

The iita guy on plantain told me to use scarecrow with bells . Monkeys are inteligent beings. Do u think scarecrow will send them away? I know i still have a lot of time to fruting (9months to one year) but i need to start thinking abt dt now. I also noticed foot prints of some animals in my farm.

Do you have a farm house there? You need a hunter or do the security yourself just buy 2caucasian dogs and a local gun. The dogs will alert and chase depending on the way they are trained the you Will do the shooting.
https://www.nairaland.com/1927538/get-business-plan-feasibility-study#26758918
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Ayoolu(m): 11:56pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ebola!!!!
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 01, 2014
Ayoolu: Ebola!!!!

Ebola never enter bushmeat for Naija.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by LOZENGE(m): 3:54am On Dec 05, 2014
mercylicious:
I just finished planting plantain . The people dt cleared the land told me dt they saw monkeys in nearby plots but i did not take it serious. On my way to the farm today, i saw with my eyes . Monkeys were devouring maize(unripe) from a land /farm closeby. The monkeys, five in no, ran to a tree acros the road when they heard our noise coming. If monkey can do dt to a maize farm, what will be d fate of a plantain farm? I called some plantain farmers in Ugwuoba and they said they dont have monkeys there.

where is ur farm located, I reside in onitsha and I ve interest in farming. I dnt know a thing abt this bizness and really nEed to llearn frm an experienced hand
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by 9free(m): 10:42am On Dec 05, 2014
Picture of your farm or I won't comment
grin grin
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by billyG(m): 9:00pm On Jan 05, 2015
To catch a monkey hhmmm,let me tink,buy enough sleeping tabs or tranquilizer inject it into some bannanas when d eat d banas dey will fall deep aslept,paint them red or black or tie them a bell & set them free.

1 Like

Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Soloxam(m): 6:28am On Jan 07, 2015
securi:
grin You need hunters not security men.We are needed @ Sambisa forest and not banana/baboon republics

Lol.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Soloxam(m): 6:34am On Jan 07, 2015
mercylicious:

Ebola never enter bushmeat for Naija.
Madam pls employee hunters, another enterprise, Bush meat on point.........,.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by FarmTech(m): 3:34am On Jan 09, 2015
How is it going merci?
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 09, 2015
FarmTech:
How is it going merci?

my dear, things have changed ooo. I dont know how to cope with it.
Remember i told u am testing on land i bought in a location meant for residential purposes. The location developed faster than i thought. I planned to test plantain farming there for 3years and if its good biz, i will then go for big hectares of land.

The landlord association built good road and buildings mostly residential duplexes are springing up very fast. The monkeys have escaped on their own due to the development.
The landlord association mandated everybody to start developing b4 jan 20th or pay a fine of 100k per plot. You cannot even fence till u finish development or else i would have fenced mine.

The guy i paid to dig well for me is still at large. He keeps giving silly excuses when called on fone. It pains me cos i know if he hits the ground for 2more days, he will get water. For now, i take water to d farm every weekend and fetch from the nearby stream when d one i came with finish. I go with friends dt help me.

The ppl weeding for me have not gone since xmas, its remaining abt 1 plot. I have applied manure and mulched the weeded area.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by FarmTech(m): 2:43pm On Jan 11, 2015
mercylicious:

my dear, things have changed ooo. I dont know how to cope with it.
Remember i told u am testing on land i bought in a location meant for residential purposes. The location developed faster than i thought. I planned to test plantain farming there for 3years and if its good biz, i will then go for big hectares of land.

The landlord association built good road and buildings mostly residential duplexes are springing up very fast. The monkeys have escaped on their own due to the development.
The landlord association mandated everybody to start developing b4 jan 20th or pay a fine of 100k per plot. You cannot even fence till u finish development or else i would have fenced mine.

The guy i paid to dig well for me is still at large. He keeps giving silly excuses when called on fone. It pains me cos i know if he hits the ground for 2more days, he will get water. For now, i take water to d farm every weekend and fetch from the nearby stream when d one i came with finish. I go with friends dt help me.

The ppl weeding for me have not gone since xmas, its remaining abt 1 plot. I have applied manure and mulched the weeded area.
The landlords are serious oo. So does it mean that u have to pay the fine per plot if u plant plantains?
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 11, 2015
FarmTech:

The landlords are serious oo. So does it mean that u have to pay the fine per plot if u plant plantains?

Guy, i dont know ooooo.
Time wil sort it out.

In another jist, i went to water my farm today and saw dt one of the plantains has started producing two suckers. This is a 3month plus plantain....
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Johnnyessence(m): 12:10am On Jan 12, 2015
mercylicious:

Guy, i dont know ooooo.
Time wil sort it out.

In another jist, i went to water my farm today and saw dt one of the plantains has started producing two suckers. This is a 3month plus plantain....
waooooo this is great ooooo pls where did u get u hybrid suckers hmmm waooooo happy farming.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 12, 2015
Thank God for the miracle dt happened in my farm. I am still trying to understand it bt cant.
no 1. There was bush fire in the location i planted my plantain. The surrounding bushes burnt. The plaintain i gave to my friend - neighbouring plot burnt. It just got to where my own started and stopped. it suprises me cos the area btw my plot and his has not been weeded. I have told d ppl dt are weeding for me to speed up. they shld be able to conclude d remaining in 2days.

no 2.my plantains dt were looking weak arnd dec are all healthy now. i tot they wuld die cos of lack of water. I told u d guy diging well for me absconded. i applied manure dt dec , mulched and applied water. The water i applied are not so much, just drops to touc d roots. we were fetching d water with jerrcans from nearby stream.

i hope to address d water issue 2moro. i will buy tank and get a water tanker to fill it with water pending when d well guy comes over to d site. He resumed work today in a friend's borehole and says he will finish d borehole by friday and resume in mine by next week.
Re: Monkeys And Plantain/banana Plantation by securi: 3:59am On Jan 13, 2015
Thank God. That's good testimony from SitL. I see bumper harvest!
mercylicious:
Thank God for the miracle dt happened in my farm. I am still trying to understand it bt cant.
no 1. There was bush fire in the location i planted my plantain. The surrounding bushes burnt. The plaintain i gave to my friend - neighbouring plot burnt. It just got to where my own started and stopped. it suprises me cos the area btw my plot and his has not been weeded. I have told d ppl dt are weeding for me to speed up. they shld be able to conclude d remaining in 2days.

no 2.my plantains dt were looking weak arnd dec are all healthy now. i tot they wuld die cos of lack of water. I told u d guy diging well for me absconded. i applied manure dt dec , mulched and applied water. The water i applied are not so much, just drops to touc d roots. we were fetching d water with jerrcans from nearby stream.

i hope to address d water issue 2moro. i will buy tank and get a water tanker to fill it with water pending when d well guy comes over to d site. He resumed work today in a friend's borehole and says he will finish d borehole by friday and resume in mine by next week.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make Your Snails Grow Faster / Habgito Nigeria Limited Presents: The Hand Tiller. / A Poultry Farm Sitting On A 5 Acres Of Land Is Up For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.