Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,531 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages (2261 Views)

Here Are Top Reason Why Your Smartphone Battery Now Drain Twice As Fast / How To Stop Annoying Text Messages From MTN,GLO,AIRTEL,ETISALAT / Lovely Text Messages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 29, 2014
I stand to be corrected on this post

I observed recently that those annoying text messages we receive daily are not directly from our network providers, but rather there're from some hungry people who are hell bent in making money on their laptops.

I noticed that for example if MTN wants to send promotions they normally use numbers like

MTN
MTNN
MTNNG
131 etc

The messages are quite clear and if you access their website you will find those promotions and sometimes it will be on tv adverts

But if you look closely at those incessant messages the numbers are quite absurd like
75622 etc

Now see why I came to this conclusion

You might have seen some persons promoting their ebooks here on how to make money using short sms code . and you might have also seen people claiming to have millions of phone number data base.

Conclusion

These people set up these codes from network providers(who may not be aware of their intention) and then buy millions of phone numbers from mobile number database, and then broadcast their message. When you respond to such message you are charged and a very high percent of the money goes to their bank account!!!

This is why the messages are coming and many more are likely to!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 29, 2014
Yungwizzzy: I stand to be corrected on this post

I observed recently that those annoying text messages we receive daily are not directly from our network providers, but rather there're from some hungry people who are hell bent in making money on their laptops.

I noticed that for example if MTN wants to send promotions they normally use numbers like

MTN
MTNN
MTNNG
131 etc

The messages are quite clear and if you access their website you will find those promotions and sometimes it will be on tv adverts

But if you look closely at those incessant messages the numbers are quite absurd like
75622 etc

Now see why I came to this conclusion

You might have seen some persons promoting their ebooks here on how to make money using short sms code . and you might have also seen people claiming to have millions of phone number data base.

Conclusion

These people set up these codes from network providers(who may not be aware of their intention) and then buy millions of phone numbers from mobile number database, and then broadcast their message. When you respond to such message and you are charged and a very high percent of money goes to their bank!!!

This is why the messages are coming and many more are likely to!!!
To some extend you are right but to say that our service providers are not. aware is not totally correct. I called MTN 180 and they said those messages we receive are from third party partners of which they and NCC are aware of it. NCC even threatened to fine them but they said that disrupting value added service in Nigeria with pave way for operators to leave the country to other countries that allows similar service.
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by G3NTL3SOUL(m): 12:25pm On Sep 29, 2014
Those messages are so annoying and frustrating...
I get like 10 of them everyday

4 Likes

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Kapitain(m): 2:03pm On Sep 29, 2014
Ehh.. Which way na?? Was expecting a solution..

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Mention(m): 3:27pm On Sep 29, 2014
So what's the solution?? Dump d sim card?
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
Mention: So what's the solution?? Dump d sim card?

No sue them for disturbance

It was not part of their T & C when you bought the SIM

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by timbros(m): 3:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
Mention: So what's the solution?? Dump d sim card?

Solution: Go to play store, download this app Postman.

It will seamlessly redirect all unwanted SMS to a folder (Without your phone ringing!). And according to your setting, will delete them after a period of time.

Any SMS from an unsaved number will go to this folder and deleted after the specified period (I set mine to 30 days). Beware, an important SMS from an unsaved number will be push there, so check the app regularly. But the good thing is, you can redirect an important SMS back to your inbox and subsequent SMS from that number will start going to your inbox directly.

Postman is the solution!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Mention(m): 4:01pm On Sep 29, 2014
timbros:

It will seamlessly redirect all unwanted SMS to a folder (Without your phone ringing!). And according to your setting, will delete them after a period of time.

Any SMS from an unsaved number will go to this folder and deleted after the specified period (I set mine to 30 days). Beware, an important SMS from an unsaved number will be push there, so check the app regularly. But the good thing is, you can redirect an important SMS back to your inbox and subsequent SMS from that number will start going to your inbox directly.

Postman is the solution!
M not on android bro.. M on BB
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Mention(m): 4:03pm On Sep 29, 2014
Yungwizzzy:

Sue them?? In Nigeria?? Naa things don't work that way here..!
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by timbros(m): 4:08pm On Sep 29, 2014
Mention:
M not on android bro.. M on BB
Oh ok
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by parrotibaba(m): 4:16pm On Sep 29, 2014
Guys ,like I told one brother grin ...its simple...

...BREAK YOUR SIM!!!!!!!! angry
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by nwaobitex: 6:19pm On Sep 29, 2014
so how do we stop it
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
angry
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Amadaz(m): 9:01pm On Sep 29, 2014
As for me, i'm used to it and so every nigerian should. I just delete them upon receipt regardless of info contained.
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Kewt: 9:02pm On Sep 29, 2014
timbros:

Postman is the solution!

Nice one dude. Just downloaded this wonderful app. Thanks a bunch!
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by 1one: 9:04pm On Sep 29, 2014
timbros:

Postman is the solution!

Guy God bless you real GOOD for this info.
Thanks a bunch.
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by swhiss: 10:13pm On Sep 29, 2014
sometimes I wonder if I'm dating MTN. every morning I'm awakened by their messages, before I sleep I receive their messages!... I keep asking: MTN could this be Love??

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by timbros(m): 10:30pm On Sep 29, 2014
1one:

Guy God bless you real GOOD for this info.
Thanks a bunch.

Amen.

You're welcome.
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by timbros(m): 10:32pm On Sep 29, 2014
Kewt:

Nice one dude. Just downloaded this wonderful app. Thanks a bunch!

You're welcome.
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Idrismusty97(m): 11:55pm On Sep 29, 2014
timbros:

Postman is the solution!
That isn't the point. Can this postman block and delete messages from specified number not unsaved number? As in numbers like 3345,280 etc
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by olempe(m): 11:55pm On Sep 29, 2014
swhiss: sometimes I wonder if I'm dating MTN. every morning I'm awakened by their messages, before I sleep I receive their messages!... I keep asking: MTN could this be Love??
grin cheesy
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by timbros(m): 12:10am On Sep 30, 2014
Idrismusty97: That isn't the point. Can this postman block and delete messages from specified number not unsaved number? As in numbers like 3345,280 etc

Did you see the attached image in my previous post?

BTW do you have all the specific numbers you want blocked and deleted? This is why blocking all unsaved numbers is better. Unless you want to tel me you know ALL the numbers these operators use, then you can manually block them one by one.
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Idrismusty97(m): 12:13am On Sep 30, 2014
timbros:

Did you see the attached image in my previous post?

BTW do you have all the specific numbers you want blocked and deleted? This is why blocking all unsaved numbers is better. Unless you want to tel me you know ALL the numbers these operators use, then you can manually block them one by one.
The app is great! I just tested it. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by timbros(m): 1:02am On Sep 30, 2014
Idrismusty97: The app is great! I just tested it. Thanks

Anytime smiley
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Zarama7(f): 7:34am On Sep 30, 2014
Yungwizzzy:

Please correct ur signature, 'won' not 'one'
Re: The Reason Why You Get Incessant Text Messages by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 30, 2014
Zarama7:
Please correct ur signature, 'won' not 'one'

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Airtel Android Data Bonus / Specs Showdown!: Infinix HOT 2 X510 Vs Infinix HOT X507 / Infinix Is About The Release The Most Anticipated High Quality Earpiece

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.