Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Common Misconceptions Of New Christians.... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Common Misconceptions Of New Christians.... (820 Views)

The Misconceptions Of Hebrews 10:25 (explained). / Meet 41 New Christians That Converted To Islam In Month of June From One Man / Dealing With Misconceptions : 10 Things The Bible Never Said About Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Common Misconceptions Of New Christians.... by CJPresh(f): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
Happy Reading!
New Christians quite often have misconceptions
about God, the Christian life and other believers. This look at the common misconceptions of Christianity is designed to dispel some of the myths that typically hinder new Christians from growing and maturing in the faith.
1-Once you become a Christian, God will solve
all of your problems.....: Many new Christians are shocked when the first trial or serious crisis hits. Here's a reality check -- get
prepared -- the Christian life is not always easy! You will still face ups and downs, challenges and joys. You will have problems and troubles to overcome. This verse offers encouragement for Christians facing difficult situations: 1 Peter 4:12-13 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. (NIV)
2- Becoming a Christian means giving up all fun and following a life of rules....: A joyless existence of mere rule-following is not true
Christianity and the abundant life God intends for you.
Rather, this describes a man-made experience of legalism. God has amazing adventures planned for you. These verses give a description of what it means to experience God's life: Romans 14:16-18 Then you will not be condemned for doing something you know is all right. For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of
goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God.
And other people will approve of you, too. (NLT)
3-Christian ministers and missionaries are more spiritual than other believers.....: This is a subtle but persistent misconception that we carry in our minds as believers. Because of this false
notion, we end up putting ministers and missionaries on "spiritual pedestals" accompanied by unrealistic expectations. When one of these heroes falls from our self-constructed perch, it tends to make us fall too -- away from God. Don't let this happen in your life.
You may have to continually guard yourself against this subtle deception. Paul, Timothy's spiritual father, taught him this truth - we are all sinners on an equal playing field with God and each other: 1 Timothy 1:15-16 This is a true saying, and everyone should believe it:
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners and I was the worst of them all. But that is why God had mercy on me, so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life. (NLT)
4-Christian churches are always safe places,
where you can trust everyone.....: Although this should be true, it is not. Unfortunately,we live in a fallen world where evil resides. Not everyone who enters the church has honorable intentions, and even some who do come with good intentions, can fall back into old patterns of sin. One of the most dangerous places in Christian churches, if not properly guarded, is the children's ministry.
Churches that don't implement background checks,team led classrooms, and other security measures,leave themselves open to many dangerous threats. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the
devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. (NKJV) Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of
wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and
harmless as doves. (KJV)
5 - All Christians are loving, perfect people.....: Well, it doesn't take very long to discover that this is not true. But being prepared to meet the
imperfections and failures of your new family in
Christ can spare you future pain and disillusionment.
Although Christians strive to be like Christ, we wil never obtain complete sanctification until we stand before the Lord. In fact, God uses our imperfections to "grow us" in the faith. If not, there would be no need to forgive one another. As we learn to live in harmony with our new family,we rub each other like sandpaper. It's painful at times, but the result brings about a smoothing and softening to our rough edges. Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.
Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (NIV) Philippians 3:12-13 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.
Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead ... (NIV)
Read and Share!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Correlation Between The Two Opposite Believe About God / Why Are There So Many Misconceptions About Islam? / Turkey Gives Go-ahead For First New Church In Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.