Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? (2143 Views)

Career Mistakes You Should Avoid In Your Place Of Work. / Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College / 21 Ways Rich People Think Differently From Ordinary People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
So I saw this caption somewhere and I felt okay this will make a great topic.
Wasn't interested in it making a great topic though, I'm more interested in what tons of people could learn from people's opinion.
More importantly, I'm interested in what parents and prospective parents could learn in other to help their/ our children or wards make the right decision.

When I saw the caption, it was so easy for me to make a description of what I would have done differently.

For me,

1) I would have started a business while in the university which would have exposed me to the basics of entrepreneurship and business. A knowledge which is priceless.

2) I would have learnt a lucrative skill such as photography, arts and crafts, hair grooming, fashion designing, graphics and designing etc (Though never too late).

3) I would have also followed my inexorable desire to know how to play guitar or keyboard (Though never too late).

4) I wouldn't have placed too much dependence on education (Though inevitable) but with a more dominant dependence on the fact that skill, passion, business and entrepreneurship is key to living a life of fulfillment.

NB: Anyone who is lucky enough to follow the four above at an early age/ stage in life can never go broke nor find themselves in a pitiable situation most of us working under someone go through everyday.
Such that even when you are working under someone yet independent of yourself, it will be hard for you to become depressed of treatments you get at yourwork places or when unsatisfied with your work conditions.

Share yours.

2 Likes

Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Let's hear from the visionaries, thinkers and goal getters please.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
To be honest,It hurts that have being serving an unknown called God all my life but I try to pat myself at the back sometimes and say,hold on,be strong cus then you was young and dumb but now If you ask/tell me what's wrong I would tell you what's right/life.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 03, 2014
aaronson: To be honest,It hurts that have being serving an unknown called God all my life but I try to pat myself at the back sometimes and say,hold on,be strong cus then you was young and dumb but now If you ask/tell me what's wrong I would tell you what's right/life.

Okay cool.
Let's hear other matured minds.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 04, 2014
Let's hear from folks here naaw. Haba!!!
I personally would like to learn the mistakes we made and how we corrected them.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 11:40am On Oct 04, 2014
NairaMode:
So I saw this caption somewhere and I felt okay this will make a great topic.
Wasn't interested in it making a great topic though, I'm more interested in what tons of people could learn from people's opinion.
More importantly, I'm interested in what parents and prospective parents could learn in other to help their/ our children or wards make the right decision.

When I saw the caption, it was so easy for me to make a description of what I would have done differently.

For me,

1) I would have started a business while in the university which would have exposed me to the basics of entrepreneurship and business. A knowledge which is priceless.

2) I would have learnt a lucrative skill such as photography, arts and crafts, hair grooming, fashion designing, graphics and designing etc (Though never too late).

3) I would have also followed my inexorable desire to know how to play guitar or keyboard (Though never too late).

4) I wouldn't have placed too much dependence on education (Though inevitable) but with a more dominant dependence on the fact that skill, passion, business and entrepreneurship is key to living a life of fulfillment.

NB: Anyone who is lucky enough to follow the four above at an early age/ stage in life can never go broke nor find themselves in a pitiable situation most of us working under someone go through everyday.
Such that even when you are working under someone yet independent of yourself, it will be hard for you to become depressed of treatments you get at yourwork places or when unsatisfied with your work conditions.

Share yours.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 11:42am On Oct 04, 2014
Giitheon:
[/quote] [quote author=Giitheon post=26855456]
thank u very much sir...i think dat with this now i will have a re-think and consider skills aquisition
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 1:56pm On Oct 04, 2014
grin..please let an expert on carear put us through here naa...or dnt we hv anyhere?
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 1:58pm On Oct 04, 2014
This thrend would die off oo..let some1 do sometin naa This thrend would die off oo..let some1 do sometin naa
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by drehdinho(m): 7:13am On Oct 05, 2014
Please I need sincere ideas,advices of career counsellors on this one. I am a first degree holder of English and Literary studies(B.A English). I want to proceed for my masters. But am at sea about what course am to put in for. I want to put in for a course that is not only highly lucrative, but also that that course that one can get easily secure job with ,especially in the European countries as well as in Nigeria. (My priority is European country)

Please a sincere advise will be much more appreciated.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 2:20pm On Oct 05, 2014
[quote authoru=NairaMode post=26752763]So I saw this caption somewhere and I felt okay this will make a great topic.

For me,

Such that even when you are working under someone yet independent of yourself, it will be hard for you to become depressed of treatments you get at yourwork places or when unsatisfied with your work conditions.owk
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 2:21pm On Oct 05, 2014
[owk]So I saw this caption somewhere and I felt okay this will make a great topic.

For me,

Such that even when you are working under someone yet independent of yourself, it will be hard for you to become depressed of treatments you get at yourwork places or when unsatisfied with your work conditions.owk
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Giitheon(m): 2:22pm On Oct 05, 2014
Owk
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2014
I hope I can get more responses.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
I hope we can still share our experiences.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 01, 2014
Giitheon:
[owk]So I saw this caption somewhere and I felt okay this will make a great topic.

For me,

Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 5:08am On Nov 08, 2014
Now that you know, what would you have done differently?
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by jitela: 8:40am On Nov 08, 2014
topics like this ought to b in front page.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 08, 2014
It wasn't a mistake per-se ... I was just scared and not psychologically ready for writting my ICAN before service year , during service year and before getting employed despite the fact that I had tonnes of folks advising me to do that and the time in the world to read ............ I was just scared mehn !!!

I have done it sha but would have catapaulted me farther If I brought it to the job and not on-the-job !!

That one year is a ''miss'' that would never happened again..... I'm on marathon now .... I go double yearly ....

No more exam phobia cuz some folks out there are spilling the bad news ....
It's all about in and out now ... Go in , read it, write it , pass it , present it , get a rise and move to the next one !!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 19, 2014
donroxy:
It wasn't a mistake per-se ... I was just scared and not psychologically ready for writting my ICAN before service year , during service year and before getting employed despite the fact that I had tonnes of folks advising me to do that and the time in the world to read ............ I was just scared mehn !!!

I have done it sha but would have catapaulted me farther If I brought it to the job and not on-the-job !!

That one year is a ''miss'' that would never happened again..... I'm on marathon now .... I go double yearly ....

No more exam phobia cuz some folks out there are spilling the bad news ....
It's all about in and out now ... Go in , read it, write it , pass it , present it , get a rise and move to the next one !!!

I like this.

1 Like

Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by asalimpo(m): 5:53pm On Dec 24, 2014
sensible thread unfortunately few responses.
Wat i wudve done:
I wouldve wished sombody
took d time to show me d beauty of maths.
Maths was one impenetrable subject and i thought d problem was with me!

In secondary school:
i wouldve been more proactive, and completed the program in less time,say 4,5 years.
I wudve studied wider , rather than get boxed into a path, .

University:
i wudve completed a second degree program and focused on richer more abstract fields like maths,physcs.
I wudve contested many of my courses where i was marked down,e.g ,statistics , I feel some lecturers arent as smart and broad minded as they try to put on.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Etinosajay(m): 4:26pm On Dec 25, 2014
Frankly speaking, I would have studied a real course that's applicable in the immediate and yields a firsthand result.

Medicine, Law, Pharmarcy, Economics, etc

Make the very best grades or class and you're ready to face life.

Business and entrepreneur ship in between and in parallel.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by chubbypearl(f): 11:12pm On Dec 25, 2014
I would have been in the Arts department but because of the fear of my lit in english teacher in sec.sch(he was a womaniser in an all girls sch),i switched to social science.spent time in the university reading every other book aside my big science textbooks,you can guess the outcome.planning to further and switch courses but the funny thing is am not still switching to what i have always wanted but to what can easily get me a job.sometimes i sit and wonder if only i have summoned courage and damn the consequences,how different my life would have been cry
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by asalimpo(m): 9:45am On Dec 27, 2014
Etinosajay:
Frankly speaking, I would have studied a real course that's applicable in the immediate and yields a firsthand result.

Medicine, Law, Pharmarcy, Economics, etc

Make the very best grades or class and you're ready to face life.

Business and entrepreneur ship in between and in parallel.
is economics a practical course?
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 27, 2014
asalimpo:

LMAO but I think it can be if you delve into accounting or investment banking etc you get?
Of course with additional professional qualifications.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Etinosajay(m): 1:16pm On Dec 27, 2014
asalimpo:

Very practical.....the economist is the scientist and the economy is the laboratory
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 1:28am On Dec 29, 2014
I would have gone down the science path, engineering to be precise. I am good at assembling and dissembling electronics, I was good in sciences, I have a natural interest in learning how things work and the king of it all is that I am naturally restless so Arts bores me I find it too passive unlike sciences, mathematics for example, it engages you.

I chose Arts because people said, kiss , I enjoyed reading, talked a lot, liked to argue (which I have stopped), too opionated and hard to piss off.

I may have to sit for A'levels later in life, go to university, study mechanical engineering. Well, I have to set how this goes first.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by ugonology(m): 7:52am On Dec 29, 2014
in my opinion, their is always something to regret as life isn't perfect for anyone. the fact that the youths of today continue to make the same mistakes over and over again is a clear pointer that experience is the best teacher, so improve yourself if GOD grants the opportunity. my advise thus....be happy, be glad, be grateful......those in the land of the dead have only one regret, and that is not observing all of these three virtues.
Re: Career Mistakes!!! What Would You Have Done Differently? by Chinks(m): 8:40am On Dec 29, 2014
Secondary school
I wouldn't have been too pompous to attend holiday coaching after my JSSCE. I thought since I had the best result I needed no coaching but it affected my performance when I got to SS. Though, I was still a force to reckon with back then.

University
Throughout my stay on campus, I don't think I have any regret because I utilized every opportunity I had in terms of business, school politics and above all, I graduated with second class upper division.

(1) (Reply)

Attention!!! This Is To All ''yahoo Boys " And Their Girlfriends / Who Is A Successful Man? / Reach Stacker Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.