Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Shell Vs Kpmg - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Shell Vs Kpmg (3796 Views)

Shell Sacks 6,500, Slash Capital Spending / What Is The Entry Level Salary For Accenture, Kpmg Pwc And Awd / Which Offer Should I Accept? Kpmg Or Pwc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Vs Kpmg by cocopops(m): 7:32pm On Jul 30, 2006
Hi guys,

I am a recent UK masters graduate in need of advice on the issue.

I need answers as to which of these companies offer better future job prospects for a career starter like myself.

This is not about money. It is about long-term prospects.

I have a finance related educational background and am seeking an international career.

Please advice. Comments would be sincerely appreciated.
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2006
KPMG will offer a better prospect than shell.In the short term shell offers a better career prospect for an international career but in the long term KPMG. Most of the management positions in shell are held by expatriates you know nigerians are not trusted with money trust me i have the facts it's better you go with KPMG since it's a finance company were you will hhave better career prospects, I can say black constitute not more than 20% in mangement posotions in the finance department of shell.So your chance of being a management staff is very slim.
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by cocopops(m): 11:38pm On Jul 30, 2006
@ seges

Thank you so much for your comment. It does make alot of sense to go with KPMG.

Thank you
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:43pm On Jul 30, 2006
KPMG i would have to say is a much better company to work for

Stability is Better

It has more International offices

Advancement in the company will come easier

They will respect your Education more aswell
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by cocopops(m): 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2006
@ Josboy4lif

Thank you! However, would you also conclude that KPMG looks better on the CV than Shell?
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by cocopops(m): 9:31pm On Aug 08, 2006
Please help me make an informed choice.
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by feliar(f): 6:50pm On Aug 09, 2006
Actually i think i can give you first hand advice on this. i know for a fact that shell will pay you much more than you will know what to do with in the first years of working. you'll probably, in fact defintely afford to be a big guy and live out your dreams cos you'll be able to afford it. kpmg will allow you to have an okay life. and a shot at a good start. the down side of shell is that you will not be able to rise as far and as fast as if you are at KPMG where it is sure that for every year with good output, you should be promoted. for shell however you can only move so far and so high, cos the management positions cannot be given to every one. and most definitely it will favour the expatriates before the naija man can be considered. then finally for all the time you would have spent in shell and with the time you have put in there, your value doesn't necessarily appreciate. on the other hand, with every year you spend with KPMG, you have the oppurtunity to improve on your knowledge base as well as imropve your added value. you need to take a look at the list of ex-kpmg employees and their current profile. if you are still undecided about where you would like to go to, think about the normal laws of nature, where things have to grow and the big bang theory which does not necessarily fly with every one things must grow, start small and grow from there. there is no need to get big and then get to a point where there is no further growth. so my dear, take your time but think through what you want to do and your reasons.
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by kodewrita(m): 11:12pm On Oct 12, 2009
Obviously none of these people have ever had anything to do with shell. KPMG will of course allow you to learn a lot since you will be acting as consultant to many companies but let me inform you that the atmosphere in shell is EXACTLY the same.

Promotion may not come every year but BONUSES do come for good output (besides thats what promotion in KPMG translates to anyway. And becoming a Partner in 15 years is not that easy).

In shell, you will define your own limit. In shell, your height will be defined by your level of discipline and your attitude to learning.

Besides, where else in nigeria besides the oil companies do you get to administer multimillion dollar or -naira projects at that early stage of your career. You will handle more responsibility than in ANY OTHER nigerian company (thats why they will pay you more than MOST).

You will not be the SMARTEST in your office (for sure, SHELL recruits the best) but you will be happy to grow in an environment where few envy your intelligence.

I advice you not to let people who have tried and failed discourage you from a choice of a lifetime.

Make your own decision.
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2009
Shell will pay you more esp. if you're a permanent staff.
KPMG will broaden your horizon faster.

Those saying you won't rise in Shell are lying.
Lots of Nigerians are in mgt level. Quote me.
Re: Shell Vs Kpmg by rooney86(m): 10:21pm On Oct 13, 2009
shell pays more now and in the foreseeable future. go with shell and stop dulling

(1) (Reply)

Judges Petitioned Over Harassment Of Lawyers By Court Security Officials / Ican November 2018 Prospective Inductees / I Want To Join The Army Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.