Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,978 members, 7,821,417 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria (3677 Views)

8 Shocking Facts About Jamb / 10 Shocking Facts About The Bermuda Triangle!! / 15 Interesting Facts About University Of Nigeria [UNEC] Girls [MUST READ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
Nigeria @ 54. Happy Independence
I was going to make this facts about Nigeria's education system but I couldn't get or figure out much so I decided to make this general facts instead. So here we go, 15 interesting and shocking facts about Nigeria!
1. Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the 8th most populous in the world with a population of more than 160 million people .
The next African country to come close is Ethiopia with a population count of 84 million.
2. The longest and largest river in West Africa is the river Niger from where Nigeria derives her name.
River Niger spans about 4, 180 km ( 2, 600 mi) from its source is in the Highlands of Guinea in southeastern Guinea. It courses in a crescent through Mali, Niger, on the border with Benin and then through Nigeria , and eventually emptying into the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean after passing through a massive delta , known as the Niger Delta or the Oil Rivers .
3. Nigeria boasts in being the most suitable habitat for the worlds largest diversity of the most colorful creatures – the butterflies.
It is widely believed that the areas surrounding Calabar , Cross River State in the southern part of the country harbors the world’s largest diversity of butterflies.
4. The Third Mainland Bridge (in Lagos State) connecting Lagos Island to the mainland is the longest bridge in Africa.
It measures about 11.8km.
The bridge was built by Julius Berger Nigeria PLC and opened by President Ibrahim Babangida in 1990.
5. Nigeria is one of the Oldest Locations of Human Existence.
Evidence from archaeological discoveries have shown that there was a history of human existence in Nigeria which has been dated to as far back as 9000 BC.
The Nok civilization (around 500 BC- 200 AD) is the earliest known civilization here.
6. Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth. Taraba state alone has more languages than 30 African countries.
7. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in present day Edo State, are the longest ancient earthworks in the world, and probably the largest man-made structure on earth.
They enclose 6500 square kilometers of community lands that connected about 500 communities. At over 16000km long, it was thought to be twice the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012 (after five years of meticulous measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is about 21,000km long.
8. The Yoruba tribe has the highest rate of twin births in the world. Igbo-Ora, a little town in Oyo state, has been nicknamed Twin capital of the World because of its unusually high rate of twins that is put as high as 158 twins per 1000 births. One of the locals boasted that every family in the town has at least one twin.
9. Sarki Muhammad Kanta The Great of Kebbi, was the only ruler who resisted control by Songhai, West Africa’s greatest empire at that time.
He founded and ruled the Hausa city-state of Kebbi around 1600 A.D and built Surame its capital, a planned city which was almost impossible to penetrate during war. In fact, UNESCO describes Surame as “one of the wonders of human history, creativity and ingenuity”, and probably the most massive stone-walled constructions in West Africa.
He is listed in Robin Walker’s 50 Greatest Africans.
10. Africa’s oldest known boat is The. Dufuna canoe which was discovered in Dufuna village, Yobe state, by a Fulani Herdsman in May 1987, while he dug a well.
Various radio-carbon tests conducted in laboratories of reputable universities in Europe and America indicate that the canoe is over 8,000 years old, thus making it the oldest in Africa and 3rd oldest in the world.
The discovery of the canoe has completely changed accepted theories of the history and sophistication of marine technology in Africa.
11. Sungbo’s Eredo, a 160 km rampart equipped with guard houses and moats, is reputed to be the largest single pre-colonial monument (or ancient fortification if you like) in Africa.
It is located in present-day Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State and when it was built a millennium ago, it required more earth to be moved during construction than that used for building the Great Pyramid of Giza (one of the Seven Wonders of The Ancient World).
The most astonishing thing is that Sungbo’s Eredo was the biggest city in the world (bigger than Rome and Cairo) during the Middle Ages when it was built.
12. The Jos Plateau Indigobird, a small reddish-brown bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but Plateau state,Nigeria and the Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colours, is found only in Southern Nigeria and nowhere else on earth.
13. The Niger Delta (which is the second largest delta on the planet), has the highest concentration of monotypic fish families in the world, and is also home to sixty percent of Nigeria’s mangrove forests.
You should know too that Nigeria’s mangrove forests are the largest in Africa and third largest on earth.
14. According to the World Resources Institute, Nigeria is home to 4,715 different types of plant species, and over 550 species of breeding birds and mammals, making it one of the most ecologically vibrant places of the planet.
15. Ile-Ife, in present day Osun State, was paved as early as 1000AD, with decorations that originated from Ancient America suggesting there might have been contact between the Yorubas and the Ancient Americans half a millenium before Columbus ‘discovered’ America.

Source:http://www.schoolsmartnerd..com/2014/10/15-interesting-and-shocking-facts-about.html

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Kennethco(m): 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2014
I rep nigeria to d core

2 Likes

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 02, 2014
Kennethco: .
booking space i see
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by am0s(m): 4:01pm On Oct 02, 2014
sweet

buh mai country cant boast of good light upon all d riches

1 Like

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Kennethco(m): 4:08pm On Oct 02, 2014
feran14:
booking space i see
Am jst passin by na, so i fully stoped 2 c whtz goin on in here
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 02, 2014
Kennethco: Am jst passin by na, so i fully stoped 2 c whtz goin on in here
you dont have to comment

1 Like

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Kennethco(m): 4:15pm On Oct 02, 2014
you dont have to comment
y wont i? Whn itz nt dat am nt proud of my country
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Kennethco(m): 4:16pm On Oct 02, 2014
feran14: you dont have to comment
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by shamsuRana(m): 4:25pm On Oct 02, 2014
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2014
Every soil has a peculiarity, what I want is to see naija on the map of manufacturer not consumer.

1 Like

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Truth24(m): 4:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
My head dey dier... Mmmmm taraba state
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Bsmartt(m): 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2014
Nigeria is indeed a blessed country. All we need do is to change our attitudes as Nigerians. Nigeria..... Good people, Great Nation.
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Tolexander: 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
feran14: 1. Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the 8th most populous in the world with a population of more than 160 million people .
The next African country to come close is Ethiopia with a population count of 84 million
Ethiopia has over 90million people. That 84million seems to belong to Egypt.
3. Nigeria boasts in being the most suitable habitat for the worlds largest diversity of the most colorful creatures – the butterflies.
It is widely believed that the areas surrounding Calabar , Cross River State in the southern part of the country harbors the world’s largest diversity of butterflies.
quite interesting to know that Calabar is the headquater of the world's butterflies.
4. The Third Mainland Bridge (in Lagos State) connecting Lagos Island to the mainland is the longest bridge in Africa.
It measures about 11.8km.
The bridge was built by Julius Berger Nigeria PLC and opened by President Ibrahim Babangida in 1990.
Third mainland bridge used to be the longest bridge in Africa before 1996 when the october 6 bridge(20.5km) in Cairo was finished

6. Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth. Taraba state alone has more languages than 30 African countries.
but we hardly hear of any indigenous tribal conflict in this state. Or are the news not reported?
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Roon9(m): 5:00pm On Oct 02, 2014
!
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 02, 2014
feran14:
booking space i see
Nor yab moi namesake o
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 02, 2014
wow

#speechless#
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by kelechiMarie(f): 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
shocked
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 02, 2014
Nigerian,Good people,Great Nation.

#proudlyNigerian.

1 Like

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Timmytimmy: 7:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by kunlesehan(m): 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
I'm feeling so proud now
This should have made frontpage since instead of that Beyoncé and JayZ wannabes
lol
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 02, 2014
I was here.

#proudlyNigeria#
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by stevolinkon40: 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
Incase
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by ggrin(f): 8:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
Shai shocked
See record(s) shocked
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2014
Abegi! even with all these Nigeria is still backward n corrupt.Am not impressed.
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Timey2014: 8:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
Hi

Please am urgently looking for a SHOP Assistant for a Boutique in IKOTA Shopping complex. Ideally the person will live in close proximity to the shop. Please email time_yin@yahoo.co.uk if you are interested or call 08023045638

thanks
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by adebayour26: 8:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
Am really impressed. God bless Nigeria
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by darnley16(m): 8:56pm On Oct 02, 2014
Wow,,, AWESOME, So really Nigeria is really Blessed, I see that now,,,,, Love this Fvcked up country, leave us as we dey o
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by darnley16(m): 8:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
kunlesehan: I'm feeling so proud now
This should have made frontpage since instead of that Beyoncé and JayZ wannabes
lol
true talk! Front page people let people know waht my queen Nigeria really holds within

1 Like

Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by stexsy(m): 8:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
nice one
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by mperoakeem(m): 9:00pm On Oct 02, 2014
kk., interesting bt nt interestin
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
feran14:
13. The Niger Delta (which is the second largest delta on the planet), has the highest concentration of monotypic fish families in the world, and is also home to sixty percent of Nigeria’s mangrove forests.
You should know too that Nigeria’s mangrove forests are the largest in Africa and third largest on earth
its Australia: http://m.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=47427
Re: 15 Interesting And Maybe Shocking Facts About Nigeria by KillerBeauty(f): 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
The wall of Benin op where in benin is this so called wall situated

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Examination Boards In Nigeria / Tell Me The Best School Of Nursing In Nigeria / Lagos State University ( Lasu ) Postgraduate Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.