Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils (20368 Views)

Mobil-1 5w20 And 5w-30 Oil / Where To Get Mobil 1 5w-20 Synthetic Oil / Serious Accident Around Ojodu Berger (just After Mobil Petrol Station) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by cleoMcdanie(m): 12:58pm On Oct 03, 2014
Car experts i need your help on this. I own a 2005 camry which i bought in may dis year. On buying it i changed the oil to mobil 1 oil. Its been 5 months now and i will like to change d oil.Someone adviced i shud b puttin d usual oil n change it evry 2mnths. Pls whats your opininon on dis? Which is preferable and wil make my engine perform well?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
cleoMcdanie post=/post/26831050:
Car experts i need your help on this. I own a 2005 camry which i bought in may dis year. On buying it i changed the oil to mobil 1 oil. Its been 5 months now and i will like to change d oil.Someone adviced i shud b puttin d usual oil n change it evry 2mnths. Pls whats your opininon on dis? Which is preferable and wil make my engine perform well?

I think you're wasting money by using mobil1 but what does your manual say?

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by doroboss(m): 1:43pm On Oct 03, 2014
cleoMcdanie post=/post/26831050:

Oils should be changed based on mileage intervals not number of days or months used read ur manual. Mobil1 has 3 different weights 0w40,5w20,5w30 the more poular type found in all their stations in nigeria is 0w40 and I'm guessing 5w30 is the recommended oil for your vehicle.

2 Likes

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by starlingbawa(m): 3:36pm On Oct 03, 2014
doroboss:

Oils should be changed based on mileage intervals not number of days or months used read ur manual. Mobil1 has 3 different weights 0w40,5w20,5w30 the more poular type found in all their stations in nigeria is 0w40 and I'm guessing 5w30 is the recommended oil for your vehicle.

Please enlighten me some more, is 5w30 the same as 'Mobil XHP' that sells for 3K. Is it eligible for use in 'Toyota Camry, 2000 Model'?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by doroboss(m): 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2014
starlingbawa:

Please enlighten me some more, is 5w30 the same as 'Mobil XHP' that sells for 3K. Is it eligible for use in 'Toyota Camry, 2000 Model'?

Mobile xhp is 20w50 not suitable for your engine.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by starlingbawa(m): 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
doroboss:

Mobile xhp is 20w50 not suitable for your engine.

Knowledge is power! Thanks for the information. Please, which is suitable for my Toyota Camry 2000 Model?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by jossypajay: 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
CityNG:

I think you're wasting money by using mobil1 but what does your manual say?

He is not wasting money using mobil 1. Mobil 1 is synthectic oil. When you use it, it gives you longer oil change time saving you money at the end of the day

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 03, 2014
jossypajay:

He is not wasting money using mobil 1. Mobil 1 is synthectic oil. When you use it, it gives you longer oil change time saving you money at the end of the day

He's wasting money unless his engine design specifically calls for synthetic car.

Let's be realistic here, we're talking about a run of the mill Camry. Had it been an engine built to absolute tolerance like a Supra then using a full synthetic oil is advisable.

Additionally, I hope you guys that jump on the synthetic bandwagon and are going for long term oil change (without sending your oil to a lab to verify if you can indeed use a long term interval oil change) are using the correct long term oil filters.

A good dino oil from a reputable manufacturer changed at prudent interval is all that is required.

PS: Don't ever presume to educate me on what Mobil1 is or isn't.

Source: http://quicksilvercars.villageheadmaster.com/

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 4:43pm On Oct 03, 2014
jossypajay:

I think I agree with CityNG. Use the manufacturer Specified SAE rating for your car either synthetic or synthetic blend. It doesn't have to be Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is quite expensive.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by 9icetoo(m): 5:09pm On Oct 03, 2014
CityNG:

He's wasting money unless his engine design specifically calls for synthetic car.

Let's be realistic here, we're talking about a run of the mill Camry. Had it been an engine built to absolute tolerance like a Supra then using a full synthetic oil is advisable.

Additionally, I hope you guys that jump on the synthetic bandwagon and are going for long term oil change (without sending your oil to a lab to verify if you can indeed use a long term interval oil change) are using the correct long term oil filters.

A good dino oil from a reputable manufacturer changed at prudent interval is all that is required.
Run of the mill camry indeed. Op, ur car calls for synthetic oil. U r better of with mobil 1. its a closer substitute to what the manufacturer of ur car calls for. Or u can go for Total quartz 9000 or the synthetic of Catrol oil. There are so many synthetic oils to chose from in the lube market these days unlike in the days of old. Your oil change interval with mobil 1 or any of the synthetic blends should be about 5000 miles. it all depends on your pocket though. Some peeps change at lesser miles or after 6 months. you can change ur filters every three months or 3000 miles if u r concerned about the quality of filters available in our stores here and top off your oil since the filter change will lead to a drop in oil level. I change mine every 5,000 miles and that basically translates to an oil change a year. We don't drive that far too often in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 03, 2014
9icetoo:
Run of the mill camry indeed. Op, ur car calls for synthetic oil. U r better of with mobil 1. its a closer substitute to what the manufacturer of ur car calls for. Or u can go for Total quartz 9000 or the synthetic of Catrol oil. There are so many synthetic oils to chose from in the lube market these days unlike in the days of old. Your oil change interval with mobil 1 or any of the synthetic blends should be about 5000 miles. it all depends on your pocket though. Some peeps change at lesser miles or after 6 months. you can change ur filters every three months or 3000 miles if u r concerned about the quality of filters available in our stores here and top off your oil since the filter change will lead to a drop in oil level. I change mine every 5,000 miles and that basically translates to an oil change a year. We don't drive that far too often in Nigeria.

Do you mind posting a scan of the owners manual where the factory specified synthetic oil for a Toyota Camry?

I know this will be an impossible task because it doesn't exist.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
Bossmd:

I think I agree with CityNG. Use the manufacturer Specified SAE rating for your car either synthetic or synthetic blend. It doesn't have to be Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is quite expensive.

I have a coworker with the same model year Camry and has over 300,000 miles all on dino oil.

I just laugh at folks that buy a cheap car and then go bankrupt servicing it like it's a Diablo.

2 Likes

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 6:08pm On Oct 03, 2014
CityNG:

I have a coworker with the same model year Camry and has over 300,000 miles all on dino oil.

I just laugh at folks that buy a cheap car and then go bankrupt servicing it like it's a Diablo.

Lol......I must confess, I never knew anything called Synthetic Oil until my present car. My previous cars were all serviced with Conventional Oils, Total and Mobil. Although I'm not justifying the use of such oils, my car never had any issues throughout the period I used such oils.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 03, 2014
Bossmd:

Lol......I must confess, I never knew anything called Synthetic Oil until my present car. My previous cars were all serviced with Conventional Oils, Total and Mobil. Although I'm not justifying the use of such oils, my car never had any issues throughout the period I used such oils.

1) Some cars specifically call for synthetic oil. My Corvette, my Lancer Evolution, etc

2) Some oil weights are not easily available in dino oil but readily available in synthetic.

3) There are many more synthetic oil other than Mobil1, on my Ducati sportsbike I use Amsoil - eye popping expensive.

4) Synthetic oil is far superior to dino oil in terms of oil breakdown but only on engines that calls for them.

On my lawn mower which calls for straight weight oil, I use synthetic oil. The left overs from my automobile oil changes but I will never try to cinvince someone that lawnmowers require synthetic just because I use it on mine.

The truth is that dino oil is okay for Toyota Camry 2005 (9 year old car) as long as proper change intervals are maintained.

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 6:38pm On Oct 03, 2014
@CityNG what's your view on Synthetic Blends?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 03, 2014
Bossmd: @CityNG what's your view on Synthetic Blends?

My personal opinion is that it's like taking a shower with dirty water grin

"Ti eniyan ba ma je opolo, ko je eyi yo leyin".
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by 9icetoo(m): 10:02am On Oct 04, 2014
The 2az fe or 1mz fe in the toyota camry calls for 5w 30 or 10w 30. 5w 30 is preferred though. it is quite difficult to find dyno oils in this weight ratings here in Nigeria. The popular lube makers still favor the 20w 50 and sae 40 weight ranges. You will agree with me that these are not suitable for the camry. Mobil 1 and total quartz 9000 though expensive and synthetic are closer matches to the spec demanded. Qaurtz 9000 is 5w 40 while Mobil 1 is 0w 40. the interval between changes in synthetic makes up for the initial cost. let me do a small analysis. Mobil XHP is N3,000 and if u go with the every three months rule as propounded by naija mechs, that's 4 changes in a year which is N12,000. Add the cost of labour and filters (N1,000 for labour x 4 changes = N4,000), (N1,500 for filter x 4 changes = N6,000). Total is N22,000. this is for the dyno oil. For Mobil 1; Mobil 1 is N8,000 filter is N1,500, labor is N1,000. For two changes in a year, it will cost you N21,000. u spend less time at the mechs shop, u spend a bit less money and u run ur car on a synthetic oil for peace of mind. Running on synthetic will not burn a hole in ur pocket as u believe. Some people actually use their synthetic oils for a year based on miles covered. The average Nigerian drives about 5,000 miles a year. CityNG, the OP is in Nigeria so i was replying with the Nigerian context in mind. There are very few choice of dyno oils here in Nigeria and adulteration is a big issue as well. I am not saying he must use Mobil 1. It just happens to be that it is popular brand here whose quality can be attested. I have come across Toyota branded dyno oil with the 10w 30 weight but it was still as expensive as the synthetic oils. Same price exactly which made me opt for the synthetic oil. I use Total quartz 9000 by the way.

4 Likes

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:42am On Oct 04, 2014
9icetoo:
The 2az fe or 1mz fe in the toyota camry calls for 5w 30 or 10w 30. 5w 30 is preferred though. it is quite difficult to find dyno oils in this weight ratings here in Nigeria. The popular lube makers still favor the 20w 50 and sae 40 weight ranges. You will agree with me that these are not suitable for the camry. Mobil 1 and total quartz 9000 though expensive and synthetic are closer matches to the spec demanded. Qaurtz 9000 is 5w 40 while Mobil 1 is 0w 40. the interval between changes in synthetic makes up for the initial cost. let me do a small analysis. Mobil XHP is N3,000 and if u go with the every three months rule as propounded by naija mechs, that's 4 changes in a year which is N12,000. Add the cost of labour and filters (N1,000 for labour x 4 changes = N4,000), (N1,500 for filter x 4 changes = N6,000). Total is N22,000. this is for the dyno oil. For Mobil 1; Mobil 1 is N8,000 filter is N1,500, labor is N1,000. For two changes in a year, it will cost you N21,000. u spend less time at the mechs shop, u spend a bit less money and u run ur car on a synthetic oil for peace of mind. Running on synthetic will not burn a hole in ur pocket as u believe. Some people actually use their synthetic oils for a year based on miles covered. The average Nigerian drives about 5,000 miles a year. CityNG, the OP is in Nigeria so i was replying with the Nigerian context in mind. There are very few choice of dyno oils here in Nigeria and adulteration is a big issue as well. I am not saying he must use Mobil 1. It just happens to be that it is popular brand here whose quality can be attested. I have come across Toyota branded dyno oil with the 10w 30 weight but it was still as expensive as the synthetic oils. Same price exactly which made me opt for the synthetic oil. I use Total quartz 9000 by the way.

I do 200km a day, 1000km a week, 4000km a month minimum, can't even think of using mineral oils.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 04, 2014
9icetoo:
The 2az fe or 1mz fe in the toyota camry calls for 5w 30 or 10w 30. 5w 30 is preferred though. [b] (1) it is quite difficult to find dyno oils in this weight ratings here in Nigeria. [/b]The popular lube makers still favor the 20w 50 and sae 40 weight ranges. You will agree with me that these are not suitable for the camry. Mobil 1 and total quartz 9000 though expensive and synthetic are closer matches to the spec demanded. Qaurtz 9000 is 5w 40 while Mobil 1 is 0w 40. the interval between changes in synthetic makes up for the initial cost. [b] (2) let me do a small analysis. [/b]Mobil XHP is N3,000 and if u go with the every three months rule as propounded by naija mechs, that's 4 changes in a year which is N12,000. Add the cost of labour and filters (N1,000 for labour x 4 changes = N4,000), (N1,500 for filter x 4 changes = N6,000). Total is N22,000. this is for the dyno oil. For Mobil 1; Mobil 1 is N8,000 filter is N1,500, labor is N1,000. For two changes in a year, it will cost you N21,000. u spend less time at the mechs shop, u spend a bit less money and u run ur car on a synthetic oil for peace of mind. Running on synthetic will not burn a hole in ur pocket as u believe. Some people actually use their synthetic oils for a year based on miles covered. The average Nigerian drives about 5,000 miles a year. CityNG, the OP is in Nigeria so i was replying with the Nigerian context in mind. There are very few choice of dyno oils here in Nigeria and adulteration is a big issue as well. I am not saying he must use Mobil 1. It just happens to be that it is popular brand here whose quality can be attested. I have come across Toyota branded dyno oil with the 10w 30 weight but it was still as expensive as the synthetic oils. Same price exactly which made me opt for the synthetic oil. I use Total quartz 9000 by the way.

(1) I earlier stated that the only exception I see to use synthetic in this car is if the required weight is not readily available in dino. But that doesn't mean that i tis cheaper in the long run, it;s just what's available.

(2) Your whole analysis, which has been done ad museum on the web on many sites, is faulted because you used assumption. The only way to determine with any surety as to when to change your oil is to send a sample to a lab. Anything else is guess work.

There are labs in Nigeria that should be able to do this testing and if there's not then send it overseas for testing. Nigerians have access to the same thing I have access to in the US so it's not a Nigerian thing. You have UPS, FedEx, DHL in Nigeria and you can pay with PayPal.

You will NEVER convince me that using synthetic oil in a Camry is required or is a money saver. My direct and personal experience says I'm right.

I will drop out of the thread now, OP has heard from all comers and should be able to make a decision.

PS: To the person who stated that the factory specs called for synthetic oil in a 2005 Camry I would still like to see your evidence but I know there isn't any.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by inze(m): 5:35pm On Oct 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I do 200km a day, 1000km a week, 4000km a month minimum, can't even think of using mineral oils.

Tell me you're Joking shocked shocked shocked
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Emperoh(m): 8:09pm On Oct 04, 2014
inze:

That's 2 hrs of drive time or less per day. Very doable if you ask me.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by inze(m): 8:17pm On Oct 04, 2014
Emperoh:

That's 2 hrs of drive time or less per day. Very doable if you ask me.

No1 says its not do-able,

Did you see where he stated 1000km/week and 4000km/month ?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
inze:

Not joking..... Between 6-8am this morning I covered 116km I'm home now but I guess I'm over 200 for today, where I live we have good roads With no traffic and my work demands I move arround a lot.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by inze(m): 8:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Not joking..... Between 6-8am this morning I covered 116km I'm home now but I guess I'm over 200 for today, where I live we have good roads With no traffic and my work demands I move arround a lot.

200km a day is no biggie but consistently doing 1000km a week and 4000km a month stretch shocked

that's not healthy . . .
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
inze:

200km a day is no biggie but consistently doing 1000km a week and 4000km a month stretch shocked

that's not healthy . . .

I spend max 3hrs driving every day, ask lagos and abuja peeps how many hrs a day they spend crawling in traffic? That is not healthy.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 04, 2014
inze:

[b]that's not healthy
. . .[/b]

I agree but Man must wak grin

I used to do 200 miles per day, 1000 miles per week, 4,600 per month.

Not anymore, I now do at most 20 miles per day and I'm much happier with a life after work.

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 9:37pm On Oct 04, 2014
CityNG:

My personal opinion is that it's like taking a shower with dirty water grin

"Ti eniyan ba ma je opolo, ko je eyi yo leyin".

So are you saying in a nutshell that its either you use Dino or Synthetic? No middle grounds? grin
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bossmd:

So are you saying in a nutshell that its either you use Dino or Synthetic? No middle grounds? grin

For my cars that specifies dino, I will use nothing but dino, I won't ask on the forum.

For my cars that specifies syn, I will use nothing but syn, I won't ask on the forum.

If say I Was traveling in the Australian Outback and somehow lost all the oil in my crankcase and the only oil I can find is a blend, then I will use a blend but will immediately flush it out at the earliest opportunity and use the proper oil (syn or dino).

Now I only speak for myself, based on my personal experiences from the school of hard knocks and not looking to convince anyone else grin

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 12:50am On Oct 05, 2014
CityNG:

For my cars that specifies dino, I will use nothing but dino, I won't ask on the forum.

For my cars that specifies syn, I will use nothing but syn, I won't ask on the forum.

If say I Was traveling in the Australian Outback and somehow lost all the oil in my crankcase and the only oil I can find is a blend, then I will use a blend but will immediately flush it out at the earliest opportunity and use the proper oil (syn or dino).

Now I only speak for myself, based on my personal experiences from the school of hard knocks and not looking to convince anyone else grin

But car manuals hardly specify Dino or Synthetic, they specify weights.

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 12:52am On Oct 05, 2014
9icetoo:

Bros abeg where you see Mobil 1 for 8k? Make I buy 10 gallons grin

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 1:10am On Oct 05, 2014
Bossmd:

But car manuals hardly specify Dino or Synthetic, they specify weights.

Not all. Some of the cars I've owned specified Mobil1 or alternate synthetic.

Just like they don't specify tire type per see but just size, it's up to me as a motivated autoists to conduct proper research and decide what tire type fits my style of driving.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by anneki(m): 6:05am On Oct 05, 2014
Bossmd:

The oils that you will buy from a Honda dealer in the US are Synthetic Blend. There must be something Honda knows that we don't.

Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil designed to have many of the benefits of synthetic oil without matching the cost of pure synthetic oil. Motul introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.

Lubricants that have synthetic base stocks even lower than 30% but with high-performance additive packs consisting of esters can also be considered synthetic lubricants.

@OP your car calls for a conventional 5w30. You can use that, a semi-synthetic, or a full synthetic. Its your money. Go to konga. 5w30 is available in Castrol & MileMaster.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Flash Back 2006:Mazda Destroyed 4,703 Brand New Cars After Cargo Ship Accident / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.