Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,097 members, 7,811,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (20417 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by sammily(m): 10:39pm On Apr 23, 2013
Hello NL, this is for the car gurus,

I have always noticed this issue with Honda cars in which the front wheel just tears apart in the middle of the road (sorry, don't know the technical name for this problem). I will like to know if this is common only with Honda cars like I suspected and if so, what can be done to prevent this from happening.

I am planning to buy an EOD in the near future and need all the info as possible. Picture is attached to see what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Kingsteve(m): 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
I think it's the suspension.
Once the suspension is broken, that is what you get!
I don't know why the suspension problem is common with Hondas.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by switosman(m): 11:23am On May 04, 2013
Its not suspension but ball joint issue. There are many sub standard ball joints in the market that get broken with six months of use.

4 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Osama10(m): 11:38am On May 04, 2013
I've seen it most times on the highway.

Just imagine if this happens on a very lonely road & dangerous road?
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by dgitrader(m): 1:49pm On May 04, 2013
Too common with honda models, imagine this happening at a high speed.
Are there no early warning signs?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by adanny01(m): 12:18am On May 05, 2013
This is a ball joint issue. It is particularly the steering ball joint.

The situation results to as in the picture when its bad and driver keeps driving without replacement.

The driver has to be experienced to prevent this mishap.

Few signs that a Honda's steering ball joint is failing are;

Loss of wheel alignment,
A little more of steering play,
Roughness of steering especially off road.

Above all, there is no harm to take ur car periodically to mechanic asking him to check all ball joints.

I do check always. In 18yrs of driving i was lucky not to have steering balll joint failure. I had failure of rear uppper arm ball jnt and front lower arm ball joint which are not so deadly like steering ball joint.

In conclusion, anytime i see a honda in d middle of the road with such a problem, i blame the car owner for not maintaining his car.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by wanarule(m): 9:41am On May 06, 2013
Well ve almost had dis same prob bt I detected it early cos of d noise dt do com out of my front tires wen on slow drivin(hold up) wen On high speed it wil hardly fall unless wen on slow motion( accordin 2 my mech) so my mech Told me dt I wz lucky 2 notice it on tym n if it hard fallen off(ball joint) d car wil b fixed @ d spot dt d tire fell off

1 Like

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Nobody: 12:35pm On May 06, 2013
wanarule: Well ve almost had dis same prob bt I detected it early cos of d noise dt do com out of my front tires wen on slow drivin(hold up) wen On high speed it wil hardly fall unless wen on slow motion( accordin 2 my mech) so my mech Told me dt I wz lucky 2 notice it on tym n if it hard fallen off(ball joint) d car wil b fixed @ d spot dt d tire fell off

Bro, it's really difficult to detect what you're trying to get across. Why not write properly, as opposed to SMS-style writing, which not everyone can understand?

4 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Osama10(m): 2:08pm On May 06, 2013
Siena:

Bro, it's really difficult to detect what you're trying to get across. Why not write properly, as opposed to SMS-style writing, which not everyone can understand?

Translation:

Well I have almost had the same problem but I detected it early because of the noise coming out of my front tires when on slow driving(hold up).When on high speed it will hardly fall off unless when on slow motion(according to my mechanic)so my mechanic told me that I was lucky to notice it on time and if it had fallen off(i.e. the ball joint) the car will be fixed at the spot that the tire fell off.

5 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by mikkyphp(m): 4:12pm On May 07, 2013
@osama10, you have a rubbish mechanic! very typical! ignoramus naija mechanics!

1 Like

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Osama10(m): 5:23pm On May 07, 2013
mikkyphp: @osama10, you have a rubbish mechanic! very typical! ignoramus naija mechanics!

Chief I was only translating for Siena. wink

wanarule: Well ve almost had dis same prob bt I detected it early cos of d noise dt do com out of my front tires wen on slow drivin(hold up) wen On high speed it wil hardly fall unless wen on slow motion( accordin 2 my mech) so my mech Told me dt I wz lucky 2 notice it on tym n if it hard fallen off(ball joint) d car wil b fixed @ d spot dt d tire fell off

Siena:

Osama10:

Translation:

Well I have almost had the same problem but I detected it early because of the noise coming out of my front tires when on slow driving(hold up).When on high speed it will hardly fall off unless when on slow motion(according to my mechanic)so my mechanic told me that I was lucky to notice it on time and if it had fallen off(i.e. the ball joint) the car will be fixed at the spot that the tire fell off.
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by plendil: 11:12pm On May 09, 2013
It could happen to all cars, but I have to agree that over 90% of cases I see are Honda models, esp Accord, 1997 - 2004.

3 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by peter5044: 12:02pm On May 14, 2013
As i said earlier this is a designer error.if you look closely look at the suspension system you will see that the whole weight of the tyre is resting on this ball joint of 19mm or 17mm bolt and nut.there is no amount of maintenance you do that can stop the pull out couple with our bad road.

6 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Originalsly: 2:06pm On May 14, 2013
switosman: Its not suspension but ball joint issue. There are many sub standard ball joints in the market that get broken with six months of use.

Think you hit the nail on the head....sub-standard Honda ball joints.

1 Like

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Suredave: 7:23pm On Jun 12, 2013
Could also be the steering rack
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by DRICH1: 2:49pm On Jun 15, 2013
i was coming to ascend third main land bridge one day from ikoyi passed Osborn offshore estate. there was this full option recent year model(i didn't notice the yr) honda crv with that problem. The driver seemed injured maybe by the stirring wheel or maybe the shock. the point is that the car in question looked brand new and the driver claimed not have noticed any sign before the deadly abrupt breakdown. Frankly speaking , if this hasn't happened to you as a honda owner, you are just lucky! believe me. Although happens to a few other car brands (mostly that are propelled through the front wheels), but it is peculiar to HONDA. The good news now is that that part that breaks down like that can be replaced with another auto brand parts. if you go for that same honda part itself , six months down the line, be at alert because fake products infiltration has added to the uncertainty of it in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by viperman: 7:30pm On Jun 17, 2013
HERE ARE THE SYMPTOMS/SIGNS OF THIS VERY TERRIBLE MALFUNCTION

https://www.facebook.com/notes/viperautos/your-cars-tie-rodwatch-out/440970925934028
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by blowjanet: 7:53am On Apr 17, 2016
Siena:

He is probably using his phone.
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by ptoall1000: 9:07pm On May 05, 2016
Like how much does it cost to change the ball joint if CRV 2011?
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by dcole73: 11:41pm On Mar 06, 2018

To detect ............
Are you with the FBI..?
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by dcole73: 11:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
plendil:
It could happen to all cars, but I have to agree that over 90% of cases I see are Honda models, esp Accord, 1997 - 2004.

I have seen it happen to Honda civic, city, cr-v, and more.
But yeah, mostly Honda cars.

And yeah, early detection, proper maintenance and proper driving habits are key to prevention.
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by victorD3: 9:23am On Aug 25, 2018
The 15k was for a direct Belgium.

2) the reason I changed it was that both side started making screeching sound (the normal sound shaft make when it fails)ie when you wheel the car towards left or right

3) I got a direct belgium driver and pasenger side shafts the pasenger side pulled on my way home and the shaft was cut and extended but that leg started vibrating when I'm driving

4) Got a new shaft for the pasenger side which worked just fine but within 10months but pulled from the cup (not the gear box) and my Mech fixed it by just recoupling it and putting it back inside

5) shaft pulled again after 2 months and thesame fixing was carried out

6) pulled again after 3 weeks and the tripod inside the cup damaged a bearing. I went for another direct Belgium shaft that also pulled immediately

7) My Mech found out all my engine mount (seating) are gone which I changed including the hear box seating

cool On putting the shaft again and coupling of everything except tyres I realised if I wheel the car completelyto the pasenger passenger side i feel one of the three bearing porp out from the cup. I can feel it with my hands through the rubber boot.

QUESTIONS

1) is one bearing suppose to porp out? Because im scared of test driving the car so something wont spoil anything if it pulls again.

2) my car have never experienced any serious accident apart from the pasenger side droping into a small ditch once

3) Is it my camber? It doesn't look faulty and my rubbers are not that bad.

4) Is there anything like a long or short cup for the extension ( pasenger) side? Thinking I may just purchase I shaft that has a long cup.

Please i really need help with my 2008 Accord (4cl)

cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Chimasunday: 6:21pm On Mar 01, 2019
Call, text or Whatsapp - (+243) 08165000488 - Chima

Hello Car owners and everyone, my company's name is Chima Automobile Service. I run a car automobile mechanic workshop in Lagos, Nigeria and I am also very available to meet your needs even if you don't live in Lagos or Nigeria. My specialty and car service rendering is top notch and of better quality without being expensive. My instagram page has testimonials from customers on it for confirmation.

I can service, do maintenance and fix every mechanical issue concerning mostly Japanese cars, like Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz and other brands.

I can change your Engines, Brake-pads, oil, fuel pumps, shocks, Car legs or tyres, service your engines or do a total change on it at your request. I can do full bodywork repairs on your car. I can also upgrade your cars by adding extra features of accessories like wheels, rims, A/Cs, Lights, Bumpers and Fenders, Stereo sound systems, speakers and other beautifying and effective components to make it glitter and look refurbished and make you feel good and comfortable with it.

I also deal on cars, used or brand new ones, as well as car body parts. I sell them to and buy from customers as well. Please contact my number for more info on what is available. Thank you.

Call, text or Whatsapp - (+243) 08165000488 - Chima �⚙���
Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by adanny01(m): 8:24pm On Mar 01, 2019
victorD3:
The 15k was for a direct Belgium.

2) the reason I changed it was that both side started making screeching sound (the normal sound shaft make when it fails)ie when you wheel the car towards left or right

3) I got a direct belgium driver and pasenger side shafts the pasenger side pulled on my way home and the shaft was cut and extended but that leg started vibrating when I'm driving

4) Got a new shaft for the pasenger side which worked just fine but within 10months but pulled from the cup (not the gear box) and my Mech fixed it by just recoupling it and putting it back inside

5) shaft pulled again after 2 months and thesame fixing was carried out

6) pulled again after 3 weeks and the tripod inside the cup damaged a bearing. I went for another direct Belgium shaft that also pulled immediately

7) My Mech found out all my engine mount (seating) are gone which I changed including the hear box seating

cool On putting the shaft again and coupling of everything except tyres I realised if I wheel the car completelyto the pasenger passenger side i feel one of the three bearing porp out from the cup. I can feel it with my hands through the rubber boot.

QUESTIONS

1) is one bearing suppose to porp out? Because im scared of test driving the car so something wont spoil anything if it pulls again.

2) my car have never experienced any serious accident apart from the pasenger side droping into a small ditch once

3) Is it my camber? It doesn't look faulty and my rubbers are not that bad.

4) Is there anything like a long or short cup for the extension ( pasenger) side? Thinking I may just purchase I shaft that has a long cup.

Please i really need help with my 2008 Accord (4cl)

cry cry cry cry cry

Pls change your mechanic.

Note, its ur driving shaft that has been pulling out not your ball joint. Only a dumb mechanic will keep working on driving shaft when engine mounts are bad.

Driving shaft pulls out on 2 major conditions. Wrong shaft or bad engine mounts.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue by Zeksod: 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2021
Good day house I just got a 2008 crv and noticed the front suspension is noisy only when I am driving on a rough road,I have replaced virtually every part there still the popping sound is still there.

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company (IVM) Launches An Auto Finance Scheme / Where In Lagos Are The Best Car Washes / Turned My Phase II Peugeot 607 V6 To A Maniac!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.