Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,981 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Is Our Music Industry Retrogressing Or Developing? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Our Music Industry Retrogressing Or Developing? (487 Views)

Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? / The Quality Of Our Music Lyrics / Our Radio,tv,stations And Our Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Our Music Industry Retrogressing Or Developing? by abysirius(m): 5:33pm On Oct 05, 2014
Our dear country Nigeria is no doubt a blessed nation. Look around and you would truly see that indeed the land is green as said by that musician. God has so much endowed this nation with lot of natural and human resources. Go to the north, they're there. Or even in the south, your discovery will leave you mesmerised. We are so blessed that even countries of the world are blessed through us. If you dis agree with me... Prove me wrong that Gloria Alozie is not a Nigerian and that Idowu (athlete) is truly a british. Chiwetelu Ejiofor, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Sade Adu etc all add to the list.

However, as rich as we are in all fields of life, I still find it difficult to say we are where we should be especially in our Music Industry. Or may be I Should say that our music industry is now retrogressing after many years of hard work from our golden oldies. I think we've had it better in their time than it is now. They're legends. The likes of IK Christy Essien, IK Dairo, KSA, Chief Ezigbo Akunwafor, Haruna Ishola, Ayinla Omowura, Stephen Osita Osadebe, Ebenezer Obey, Sunny Okosun, Fela Anikulapo, Ayinde Barrister, K1, Onyeka Owenu, Sir Victor Olaiya, etc are all good examples.

While some of the genres like apala, juju and even Fuji music seem to be fading out, the hiphop came in and received massive support especially from the youth in the late 90s/new millennium. The euphoria that this brings was so great that many of didn't think twice leaving behind some of the music of our dads and mums to embrace our new found love; naija-hiphop especially with some artistes like Styl-Plus, Ruggedman, Paul play, Tuface, Sound Sultan (remember that song :Mathemetics), Psquare, 9ice, Asa, Idris Abdulkareem, Eddy Montana, Beautiful Nubia, Wale Thompson etc. Their lyrics are not only entertaining but also philosophical. Some of them are still there waxing stronger. They are pace setters.

It's however a pity that in the recent time the reverse is what seems to be happening. Except for Dagrin (of blessed memory), Flavour and a few host of others, the rest are junks. This is just my own mere review and should not be taken personal by anyone. Even my friend here believe otherwise. so everyone should be free to share their views. All this Shoki thing to me is a crap... music like that should not be encouraged. we want good music.

On that note I will want to give a thumb up to artistes like Flavour (I'm ur no 1 fan), 9ice (any day anytime. i love dis guy), Asa (Omo nla), nigga raw, styl-plus, Psquare (temptation- sure u remember that track), Tuface, D'banj (d guy is just entertaining), Ruggedy etc.

My verdict: We are retrogressing as we now have more artistes that know nothing about music yet claiming to be musicians.

(1) (Reply)

Please, Help Me Visit My Family.. Mother Especially / 2face Say If Not For Music, Him For Be Anoda Van Der Sar.oya Read Am... / 2001 Honda Civic Radio Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.