Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Nigeria's Rising Basketball Teenager Wins American Scholarship. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria's Rising Basketball Teenager Wins American Scholarship. (2538 Views)

16-Year-Old Teenager Wins Ekiti Marathon Race / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Nigerian Teenager Wins First Gold Medal Of Delhi Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Rising Basketball Teenager Wins American Scholarship. by Ericardo7(m): 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
One of Nigeria's fastest rising basketball teenagers, Ajiri Johnson ,has won one of the most coveted academic scholarships in the United States of America. The 15-year old deltan, won the scholarship sponsored by Florida Air Academy, one of America's leading academies. The scholarship is said to be worth over $40,000.
"A.J", as he is fondly called,is a dark, lanky, 6"10, who was a player in Firebrand Basketball Academy, Ughelli, Delta State.
Speaking on the surprising and amazing feat achieved by the teenager, Assisstant Coach of Firebrand Basketball Academy, Aziegbe Eguavoen said "this is a massive boost for this academy. A.J is a hardworking boy with a lot Of potentials. He has been working tirelessly since he joined the academy about a year ago and now his labours are beginning to pay off".
Mr Johnson, the excited father of the young star, couldn't hide his joy when pressmen met him at the academy. He said "this is a dream come true for my family. When A.J told me he wanted to join FIREBRAND, I saw passion in him and I felt I had to support him. I used My little salary to buy him his first jersey and shoes. I thank God".
Also speaking to pressmen at the academy, some hours before Ajiri left for the Murtala Mohammed Airport on Friday, was the Head Coach of the academy, Nwabueze Chinaenyem,who told the press how the teenager won the scholarship. "When we found out that Florida Air was giving out scholarships around d world, we saw it as an ample opportunity to improve our players by sending them abroad. Through recommendation by a top ranking Scout in the country, we were able to Get the attention of the academy. We sent them a couple of his videos and they were impressed. We then met some of their officials in a camp this year at Lagos. God guided our fingers as we pulled the strings and and the rest they say is history.
Speaking to newsmen at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport , Lagos just before he boarded a plane for Florida, an excited Ajiri said, "I'm so happy right now. This is a dream cone true for me. This is the first step though. My ultimate goal is to play in the NBA like Hakeem Olajuwon. I thank God, My coaches, the entire staff of firebrand basketball academy, and also My teammates, especially Precious, Mine', Xbox, Prosper, S.P, Sasha and others. These people helped me step up My game and I hope that sooner than later, they all join me in the States".
Re: Nigeria's Rising Basketball Teenager Wins American Scholarship. by Ericardo7(m): 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2014
Ajiri(middle, tallest ) at the Airport with Mr Johnson, Father (1st left), younger brother Obukohwo, Firebrand Basketball Academy, Head Coach, Nwabueze Chinaenyem(3rd right) and two other officials.

Re: Nigeria's Rising Basketball Teenager Wins American Scholarship. by Nobody: 9:48am On May 06, 2019
Ride on .
Re: Nigeria's Rising Basketball Teenager Wins American Scholarship. by Nostradamus: 10:24am On May 06, 2019
Ride on boy.news like this always makes me happy!!

(1) (Reply)

Get A Customized Jersey Of Your Club Now / Pictures Of Kevin Hart That Totally Summarizes The Wwe Royal Rumble 2017 / Chelsea Is Super Hot Now, What Do You Feel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.