Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,909 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? (10189 Views)

40 Easter Bible Verses And Resurrection Quotes / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:54am On Oct 06, 2014
Did Jesus go to hell between His death and resurrection? What was Jesus doing for three days between His death and resurrection?

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html#ixzz3FKjTFWHq
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by leonard509(m): 6:26am On Oct 06, 2014
Yes . the apostle creed has the evidence

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Gombs(m): 7:07am On Oct 06, 2014
Paste the story here...I ain't clicking on that link sha. Good morning!
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 06, 2014
For God's sake Luke 16:19... was a parable.
The post just misinterpreted everything and separated the grave.

If Christ took people from the grave-Abraham's side-to heaven ,what is then point for a future resurrection ? This doctrine kills the doctrine of a resurrection.
1Pet_3:18-21 is in reference to THE SPIRIT that quickened Jesus from the grave and not about Jesus himself.
Christ took them to heaven,when ? Because Christ didn't go to heaven during his burial. Christ made this clear to Mary Magdalene .
The Parable you are taking literal shows that the rich man felt pain cause of burning flames but yet the post says hell in futuristic. What a twist ?
I just hope nobody believes those trash.
Ecc_9:5-10. ; 3:18-21 ;12:7 . Ps_88:10-11.
Most importantly ,the dead are dead.
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 06, 2014
@op

Yes Jesus went to the bible hell.

There is no torment there. It is the common grave of mankind.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:06pm On Oct 18, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Did Jesus go to hell between His death and resurrection? What was Jesus doing for three days between His death and resurrection?

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html#ixzz3FKjTFWHq

Question: "Did Jesus go to hell between His death and resurrection?"

Answer: There is a great deal of confusion in regards to this question. This concept comes primarily from the Apostles' Creed, which states, “He descended into hell.” There are also a few Scriptures which, depending on how they are translated, describe Jesus going to “hell.” In studying this issue, it is important to first understand what the Bible teaches about the realm of the dead.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word used to describe the realm of the dead is sheol. It simply means the “place of the dead” or the “place of departed souls/spirits.” The New Testament Greek equivalent of sheol is hades which also refers to “the place of the dead.” Other Scriptures in the New Testament indicate that sheol/hades is a temporary place, where souls are kept as they await the final resurrection and judgment. Revelation 20:11-15 gives a clear distinction between the two. Hell (the lake of fire) is the permanent and final place of judgment for the lost. Hades is a temporary place. So, no, Jesus did not go to hell because hell is a future realm, only put into effect after the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15).

Sheol/hades was a realm with two divisions—a place of blessing and a place of judgment (Matthew 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 16:23; Acts 2:27–31), the abodes of the saved and the lost. The abode of the saved is called “Abraham's bosom” (KJV) and “Abraham’s side” (NIV) in Luke 16:22. The abode of the unsaved is called “hell” (KJV) or “Hades” (NIV) in Luke 16:23. The abodes of the saved and the lost are separated by a “great chasm” (Luke 16:26). When Jesus died, He went to the blessed side of sheol and, from there, took the believers with Him to heaven/paradise (Ephesians 4:8–10). The judgment side of sheol/hades has remained unchanged. All unbelieving dead go there awaiting their final judgment in the future. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes, according to Ephesians 4:8–10 and 1 Peter 3:18–20.

Some of the confusion has arisen from such passages as Psalm 16:10–11 as translated in the King James Version, “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. . . . Thou wilt show me the path of life.” “Hell” is not a correct translation in this verse. A correct reading would be “the grave” or “sheol.” Jesus said to the thief beside Him, “Today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43); He did not say, “I will be with you in hell.” Jesus’ body was in the tomb; His soul/spirit went to be with the blessed in sheol/hades. Unfortunately, in many versions of the Bible, translators are not consistent, or correct, in how they translate the Hebrew and Greek words for “sheol,” “hades,” and “hell.”

Some have the viewpoint that Jesus went to “hell” or the suffering side of sheol/hades in order to further be punished for our sins. This idea is completely unbiblical. It was the death of Jesus on the cross and His suffering in our place that sufficiently provided for our redemption. It was His shed blood that effected our own cleansing from sin (1 John 1:7-9). As He hung there on the cross, He took the sin burden of the whole human race upon Himself. He became sin for us: “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). This imputation of sin helps us understand Christ's struggle in the garden of Gethsemane with the cup of sin which would be poured out upon Him on the cross.

When Jesus cried upon the cross, “Oh, Father, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46), it was then that He was separated from the Father because of the sin poured out upon Him. As He gave up His spirit, He said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46). His suffering in our place was completed. His soul/spirit went to hades (the place of the dead). Jesus did not go to “hell” or the suffering side of hades; He went to “Abraham’s side” or the blessed side of hades. Jesus’ suffering ended the moment He died. The payment for sin was paid. He then awaited the resurrection of His body and His return to glory in His ascension. Did Jesus go to hell? No. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html#ixzz3GWr7SAry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Gombs(m): 7:14am On Oct 19, 2014
^^
Ah! Finally.

A quick question mate! What part of hell did Jesus defeat the Devil as a man, and collected the Adamic authority and power of death? Secondly, what part of hell was he dragged to after He was made sin, and the Farher separated from Him? I see you concluded He went to Hades, where men like Abraham were, question, were those there in Hades with sin? Why then one who’s made sin went there with them? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 19, 2014
Its been long I read my bible,Nairaland addiction is too much.

My pastor said he went to hell to defeat the devil,and not let the gate of hell prevail.

How true,I don't know.
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by urheme: 7:37am On Oct 19, 2014
Op, if his suffering in our side is complete when he died, then what is the relevance of his resurrection to christians,

There was a time i ask you why you anchored your faith on the resurrection of Jesus and you told me with bible quotes that my faith is vain if i don,t believe in it.

That answer still borders me till today, don't know if you remember
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Gombs(m): 7:57am On Oct 19, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "Did Jesus go to hell between His death and resurrection?"

Answer: There is a great deal of confusion in regards to this question. This concept comes primarily from the Apostles' Creed, which states, “He descended into hell.” There are also a few Scriptures which, depending on how they are translated, describe Jesus going to “hell.” In studying this issue, it is important to first understand what the Bible teaches about the realm of the dead.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word used to describe the realm of the dead is sheol. It simply means the “place of the dead” or the “place of departed souls/spirits.” The New Testament Greek equivalent of sheol is hades which also refers to “the place of the dead.” Other Scriptures in the New Testament indicate that sheol/hades is a temporary place, where souls are kept as they await the final resurrection and judgment. Revelation 20:11-15 gives a clear distinction between the two. [size=20pt]Hell (the lake of fire) is the permanent and final place of judgment for the lost.[/size] Hades is a temporary place. So, no, Jesus did not go to hell because hell is a future realm, only put into effect after the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15).

Sheol/hades was a realm with two divisions—a place of blessing and a place of judgment (Matthew 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 16:23; Acts 2:27–31), the abodes of the saved and the lost. The abode of the saved is called “Abraham's bosom” (KJV) and “Abraham’s side” (NIV) in Luke 16:22. The abode of the unsaved is called “hell” (KJV) or “Hades” (NIV) in Luke 16:23. The abodes of the saved and the lost are separated by a “great chasm” (Luke 16:26). When Jesus died, He went to the blessed side of sheol and, from there, took the believers with Him to heaven/paradise (Ephesians 4:8–10). The judgment side of sheol/hades has remained unchanged. All unbelieving dead go there awaiting their final judgment in the future. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes, according to Ephesians 4:8–10 and 1 Peter 3:18–20.

Some of the confusion has arisen from such passages as Psalm 16:10–11 as translated in the King James Version, “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. . . . Thou wilt show me the path of life.” “Hell” is not a correct translation in this verse. A correct reading would be “the grave” or “sheol.” Jesus said to the thief beside Him, “Today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43); He did not say, “I will be with you in hell.” Jesus’ body was in the tomb; His soul/spirit went to be with the blessed in sheol/hades. Unfortunately, in many versions of the Bible, translators are not consistent, or correct, in how they translate the Hebrew and Greek words for “sheol,” “hades,” and “hell.”

Some have the viewpoint that Jesus went to “hell” or the suffering side of sheol/hades in order to further be punished for our sins. This idea is completely unbiblical. It was the death of Jesus on the cross and His suffering in our place that sufficiently provided for our redemption. It was His shed blood that effected our own cleansing from sin (1 John 1:7-9). As He hung there on the cross, He took the sin burden of the whole human race upon Himself. He became sin for us: “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). This imputation of sin helps us understand Christ's struggle in the garden of Gethsemane with the cup of sin which would be poured out upon Him on the cross.

When Jesus cried upon the cross, “Oh, Father, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46), it was then that He was separated from the Father because of the sin poured out upon Him. As He gave up His spirit, He said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46). His suffering in our place was completed. His soul/spirit went to hades (the place of the dead). Jesus did not go to “hell” or the suffering side of hades; He went to “Abraham’s side” or the blessed side of hades. Jesus’ suffering ended the moment He died. The payment for sin was paid. He then awaited the resurrection of His body and His return to glory in His ascension. Did Jesus go to hell? No. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html#ixzz3GWr7SAry

Oh no Ola, hell and Lake of fire are not the same thing. You need me to pull the proof for you from the Bible?
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Joshthefirst(m): 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
Gombs:
^^
Ah! Finally.

A quick question mate! What part of hell did Jesus defeat the Devil as a man, and collected the Adamic authority and power of death? Secondly, what part of hell was he dragged to after He was made sin, and the Farher separated from Him? I see you concluded He went to Hades, where men like Abraham were, question, were those there in Hades with sin? Why then one who’s made sin went there with them? undecided
Jesus' death and resurrection defeated the Devil.

He was made sin, and sin was killed on the cross.
His death paid the price.

The bible gives us the reasons he went to hell: to take up the Spirits of those saints of the old covenant into heaven(these ones resurrected and came out of the grave after him) and to proclaim victory to the spirits bound.

So Paradise is empty. Abraham and the other saints of old are in heaven now. And hell is totally a place of darkness and torment. No longer two parts.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by urheme: 8:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
Joshthefirst:

The bible gives us the reasons he went to hell: to take up the Spirits of those saints of the old covenant into heaven(these ones resurrected and came out of the grave after him) and to proclaim victory to the spirits bound.

So Paradise is empty. Abraham and the other saints of old are in heaven now. And hell is totally a place of darkness and torment. No longer two parts.

Sin was killed on the cross.
Yet there is still so much sins and wickedness among us.

With all these stories i am becomiing to doubt the christian religion, is like we need a high standard of education to understand the bible and its various interpretation.

The masses are fed with diluted stories.
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by lepasharon(f): 12:42am On Oct 20, 2014
There is no hell
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Freksy(m): 1:48am On Oct 20, 2014
YES, Jesus went to hell (grave)

Hell = Sheol = Hades = Grave... they mean the same thing.

Literally speaking, there is no torment in hell, and no time in the future will there be.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by sealteam66(m): 3:00am On Oct 20, 2014
any way jesus is not the only person to have entered hell. st maria fustina entered hell a few times...this road to heaven e no easy oh
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:19pm On Oct 22, 2014
leonard509:

Yes . the apostle creed has the evidence

Where is the evidence?
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:20pm On Oct 22, 2014
Gombs:

Paste the story here...I ain't clicking on that link sha. Good morning!

Done. Next question? Good afternoon. smiley
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:23pm On Oct 22, 2014
TheIndustrialist:

For God's sake Luke 16:19... was a parable.
The post just misinterpreted everything and separated the grave.

If Christ took people from the grave-Abraham's side-to heaven ,what is then point for a future resurrection ? This doctrine kills the doctrine of a resurrection.
1Pet_3:18-21 is in reference to THE SPIRIT that quickened Jesus from the grave and not about Jesus himself.
Christ took them to heaven,when ? Because Christ didn't go to heaven during his burial. Christ made this clear to Mary Magdalene .
The Parable you are taking literal shows that the rich man felt pain cause of burning flames but yet the post says hell in futuristic. What a twist ?
I just hope nobody believes those trash.
Ecc_9:5-10. ; 3:18-21 ;12:7 . Ps_88:10-11.
Most importantly ,the dead are dead.

Have you read Ephesians 4:8-10?
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:25pm On Oct 22, 2014
JMAN05:

@op

Yes Jesus went to the bible hell.

There is no torment there. It is the common grave of mankind.

Are you disputing what Jesus said in Luke 16:23?
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Gombs(m): 2:40pm On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Done. Next question? Good afternoon. smiley

i already did. Scroll up
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:48pm On Oct 22, 2014
Gombs:

^^
Ah! Finally.

A quick question mate! What part of hell did Jesus defeat the Devil as a man, and collected the Adamic authority and power of death?

Jesus defeated the devil on the cross not in hell. Don't believe the heresy that your church teaches that the devil tormented Jesus in hell before the Father rescued Him.

Gombs:

Secondly, what part of hell was he dragged to after He was made sin, and the Farher separated from Him?

The moment our sins was placed on Him at the cross and He shed His precious blood the price for our sins was paid. Jesus had the Power to lay down His life and at raise it up again which He did on the third day.

Gombs:

I see you concluded He went to Hades, where men like Abraham were, question, were those there in Hades with sin? Why then one who’s made sin went there with them? undecided

The OT saints were saved because they believed the promise of God. They were looking forward to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ just as believers today are looking backward to the finished work on the Cross and forward for His second coming. All it takes is faith in Christ, either looking forward or backward. The OT saints were saved as a result of their faith just as a person taking an I.O.U. (I Owe You) in accounting terms which will be paid back when the money arrives. Their price was paid when Jesus died on the Cross shedding His blood and went to Abraham's bosom to declare the victory and took them up to paradise just as Had promised the thief on the Cross.

"Wherefore He saith, When He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that He ascended, what is it but that He also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that He might fill all things)" (Ephesians 4:8-10).
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:00pm On Oct 22, 2014
urheme:

Op, if his suffering in our side is complete when he died, then what is the relevance of his resurrection to christians,

There was a time i ask you why you anchored your faith on the resurrection of Jesus and you told me with bible quotes that my faith is vain if i don,t believe in it.

That answer still borders me till today, don't know if you remember

Yes, I do remember. If our Lord Jesus did not resurrect we who are believers would have no hope of resurrection. His resurrection is the evidence that He is the only begotten Son of God. No one can of their own self die and rise again by their own power. We die because of sin, Jesus had to die because of our sins. His resurrection with a glorified body gives us hope that we too when either through resurrection or rapture will put on this new glorified body like Christ's.

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is. And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as He is pure" (1 John 3:2-3).
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:04pm On Oct 22, 2014
Gombs:

Oh no Ola, hell and Lake of fire are not the same thing. You need me to pull the proof for you from the Bible?

You were not patient enough to read the subsequent sentence which said:

So, no, Jesus did not go to hell because hell is a future realm, only put into effect after the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15).

He qualified what he meant by "hell" by saying "The Great White Throne Judgment."
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05pm On Oct 22, 2014
Joshthefirst:

God bless you my brother. cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:09pm On Oct 22, 2014
urheme:

Sin was killed on the cross.
Yet there is still so much sins and wickedness among us.

With all these stories i am becomiing to doubt the christian religion, is like we need a high standard of education to understand the bible and its various interpretation.

The masses are fed with diluted stories.

Our sin was placed on Christ as a scape goat and He died for our sins. Would the fact that there is detergent in the market today rule out the presence of dirty clothes? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:10pm On Oct 22, 2014
lepasharon:

There is no hell

How do you know? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
Freksy:

YES, Jesus went to hell (grave)

Hell = Sheol = Hades = Grave... they mean the same thing.

Literally speaking, there is no torment in hell, and no time in the future will there be.

Where are the Scriptures to prove your assertion?
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Gombs(m): 3:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus defeated the devil on the cross not in hell. Don't believe the heresy that your church teaches that the devil tormented Jesus in hell before the Father rescued Him.

He stripped all the spiritual tyrants in the universe of their sham authority at the Cross and marched them naked through the streets. Colosians 2 from verse 14.

you mean these happened on the cross?

the devil did not torment Jesus and God hence rescued him. That is fat lie, but Jesus went down there as a man, defeated the devil as a man, and freed em saints. If Jesus really defeated the devil on the cross, what part exactly? when he said it is finished or when He died, or when he was brought down.

but, if He was made sin, and the Father seperated from Him, when He died, where did He go to? Was He in the middle or Heaven or Hades where saints were?

The moment our sins was placed on Him at the cross and He shed His precious blood the price for our sins was paid. Jesus had the Power to lay down His life and at raise it up again which He did on the third day.

What part of hell was he dragged to? Hell or Hades? don't forget, both were in Hell... why are we still debating it sef?

The OT saints were saved because they believed the promise of God. They were looking forward to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ just as believers today are looking backward to the finished work on the Cross and forward for His second coming. All it takes is faith in Christ, either looking forward or backward. The OT saints were saved as a result of their faith just as a person taking an I.O.U. (I Owe You) in accounting terms which will be paid back when the money arrives. Their price was paid when Jesus died on the Cross shedding His blood and went to Abraham's bosom to declare the victory and took them up to paradise just as Had promised the thief on the Cross.

"Wherefore He saith, When He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that He ascended, what is it but that He also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that He might fill all things)" (Ephesians 4:8-10).

Ola, was He in Hades where sinless folks were? If Yes, Why?
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Gombs(m): 3:16pm On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You were not patient enough to read the subsequent sentence which said:

He qualified what he meant by "hell" by saying "The Great White Throne Judgment."

Don't side step this one... from the OP, i read Hell (Lake of fire), i promptly asked, Ola, Hell and Lake of fire aint same, you need proof?

the above explanation did not answer my question
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 23, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you disputing what Jesus said in Luke 16:23?

verse 22:

- the rich man died, and was buried.

Where are people buried? in a torment or grave?

Does that include Jesus too? Acts 2:31

It is revealing to note that those who are supposed to be under torment are raised again to be judged after receiving judgement in torment. (Rev. 20:13) how is that?

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 24, 2014
JMAN05:

verse 22:

- the rich man died, and was buried.

Where are people buried? in a torment or grave?

Does that include Jesus too? Acts 2:31

It is revealing to note that those who are supposed to be under torment are raised again to be judged after receiving judgement in torment. (Rev. 20:13) how is that?

This is why I consider some christian teachings as jokes !
Re: Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
TheIndustrialist:

This is why I consider some christian teachings as jokes !

How?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Experience With A Young Christian Girl / Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? / My Two Hours Revelation Of Heaven - 4th Encounter From Bro.emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.