Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,929 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Meriam Makeba Is Late! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Meriam Makeba Is Late! (3870 Views)

Drake – If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late ( Full Album Download) / [DOWNLOAD FULL ALBUM]: Drake – If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late / Artwork : Late Dagrin - If I Die Feat. American Rapper Styles P, Sdc & Nasty Jay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meriam Makeba Is Late! by RSA(m): 8:03am On Nov 10, 2008
South African singer Miriam Makeba has died aged 76 after being taken ill near the southern Italian town of Caserta following a concert, ANSA news agency reported Monday.

She died overnight after taking part in a concert for Roberto Saviano, a writer threatened with death by the Mafia, the Italian agency said.

Miriam Makeba, known as “Mama Africa", was the legendary voice of the African continent who became a symbol of the fight against apartheid in her home country.

She died just after having sung for half an hour for the young author of “Gomorrah” at Castel Volturno near Naples along with other singers and artistes.

She was taken ill and was quickly taken to a clinic in Castel Volturno where she died of a heart attack, ANSA said.

Miriam Makeba was born in Johannesburg on March 4, 1932. She made an international farewell tour in 2005.

Born from a Swazi mother and Xhosa father, Makeba captured international attention as vocalist for the South African group, The Manhattan Brothers, while they toured the United States in 1959.

The following year, when she wanted to return home to bury her mother, the apartheid state revoked her citizenship and later also banned her music. As a result she spent 31 years in exile, living in the United States and later in Guinea.

She became the first black African woman to receive a Grammy Award which she shared with folk singer Harry Belafonte in 1965.

Two years later her fame sky-rocketed with the recording of the all-time hit “Pata Pata” (Xhosa for “touch, touch” describing a township dance) although she unknowingly signed away all royalties on the song.

She hit an all-time low in 1985 when her only daughter, Bongi, died aged 36 from complications from a miscarriage. Makeba did not have money to buy a coffin for Bongi, and buried her alone barring a handful of journalists covering the funeral.

But she picked herself up again, as she did many times before, like when her father died at a young age, or when she recovered from cervix cancer, or her many unhappy relationships, or unfounded rumours of alcoholism, according to her biography.

She returned to South Africa in the 1990s after Mandela was released from prison but it took a cash-strapped Makeba six years to find someone in the local recording industry to produce a record with her.

She since released “Homeland” which contains a song describing her joy to be back home after the many years in exile in which she spoke out against apartheid and testified twice before the United Nations.

“I kept my culture. I kept the music of my roots. Through my music I became this voice and image of Africa and the people without even realising,” she said in her biography.

Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by desgiezd(m): 10:21am On Nov 10, 2008
So "Mama Africa" is gone! May she rest in the bosom of the Lord and may her struggles for Africa never be in vain. This is so painful coming not too long after Lucky Dube's whose demise is still very fresh in one's memory.
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by morpheus24: 2:42pm On Nov 10, 2008
At least she lived to see one of her own become President of the Free world.

Mama Africa you are not dead. Your spirit still lives within many of us.
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by Carlosein(m): 2:55pm On Nov 10, 2008
oh dear! another shocker shocked

may your gentle soul rest in the bossom of the Lord.
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by SamMilla1(m): 4:27pm On Nov 10, 2008
just watching the sad news on CNN.

RIP Mama Arica
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by Gaminechic: 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2008
yeah i saw it on CNN

so sad cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by A40(m): 9:05pm On Nov 10, 2008
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Na waah ooh this news pain me no be small

@Gamine
Did your ass get banned?
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by kaypumpin2(m): 9:24pm On Nov 10, 2008
A-40:

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Na waah ooh this news pain me no be small

@Gamine
Did your ass get banned?

To lose Dube and Makeba in the same yr is very painful.Orun re o mama africa.

Gamine gat banned for spewin some anti-Obama drivel in the politics section i guess
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by inbox(m): 7:07am On Nov 11, 2008
Was shocked 2 my marrow. It hurts so bad to learn we will no longer have those wonderful melodies from her anymore.
May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by RSA(m): 8:01am On Nov 11, 2008
Miriam was born in Johannesburg. As a young girl of thirteen, she entered a talent show at a missionary school and walked off with the first prize. She was often invited to sing at weddings, and her popularity grew in leaps and bounds as more and more people became dazzled by her talent. In 1952 she was chosen to sing for The Manhattan Brothers and toured South Africa with them. As early as 1956, she wrote and released the song "Pata Pata".

She received invitations to visit Europe and America, where she came to the attention of Harry Belafonte and Steve Allen and was capitulated to stardom. 1959 saw her becoming the first South African to win a Grammy award for the album 'An Evening with Harry Belafonte & Miriam Makeba'.

Miriam became an exile in 1960 when South Africa banned her from returning to her birth country - she was deemed to be too dangerous and revolutionary - this was after she had appeared in an anti-apartheid documentary, entitled "Come Back Africa", and this upset the then white apartheid government of South Africa. Miriam only returned to South Africa thirty years later.

In 1967, more than ten years after she wrote the song, "Pata Pata" was released in the United States and became a hit worldwide. It has since been re-recorded by numerous international artists. Miriam was a darling of the American public, but they turned against her when she married the radical black activist, Stokely Carmichael, in 1968. Once again, she was at the receiving end of a dissatisfied and disgruntled country. Although the United States never banned her, her US concerts and recording contracts were suddenly cancelled.

She moved back to Africa, this time to Guinea where she was welcomed with open arms. Miriam continued to record songs and toured intensively. She was well respected by the government of Guinea and was asked to address the United Nations General Assembly as a Guinean delegate. She twice addressed the General Assembly, speaking out against the evils of apartheid.

Although always regarding herself as a singer and not as a politician, Miriam's fearless humanitarianism has earned her many International awards, including the 1986 Dag Hammerskjold Peace Prize and the UNESCO Grand Prix du Conseil International de la Musique. Makeba is also known for having inspired an enduring fashion in the 60's when the slogan "black is beautiful" was launched:
She was received by such world leaders as Hailé Selassie, Fidel Castro, John F. Kennedy and François Mitterrand. She has toured with singers such as Paul Simon, Nina Simone, Hugh Masekela and Dizzy Gillepsie. The ban on her records was lifted in South Africa in 1988 and she returned to her homeland in December 1990. Four years later she started a charity project to raise funds to protect women in South Africa. Her first concert in South Africa (1991) was a huge success and this was a prelude for a world-wide tour which included the USA and Europe.

She has released over thirty albums over the years, and her powerful and distinctive voice retains the clarity and range that enable it to be both forceful as a protest march and as poignant as an African lullaby.

Miriam is MamaAfrica, a lady with a special touch. She has weathered many storms in her life, including several car accidents, a plane crash and even cancer. She remains as active in her latter years as she did as a young girl with stars in her eyes.

Her exceptional personal and artistic profile is part of the history of this century, all adding to the dramatic elements of an extraordinary life, making Miriam Makeba a living legend.

May your soul rest in peace daughter of Africa,our sister,friend and mother.Robala ka kgotso.

Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by Angelheart: 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2008
May her soul rest in peace. At least she fulfilled her driem. Which is to sing until she cant sing no more. Lala ngo Xolo Mama Afrika!!
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by UNLEASHED(m): 7:52pm On Nov 11, 2008
You ain't dead mama Africa!
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by Okijajuju1(m): 9:26pm On Nov 11, 2008
Respects to a true african Legend.

She will be remembered with fondness in our hearts.

She now joins the legends like

Fela Anikulapo Kuti
Lucky Dube
e.t.c

Rest in Peace. I will miss you cry
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by TOYOSI20(f): 1:53am On Nov 12, 2008
True, RIP, Meriam
Re: Meriam Makeba Is Late! by abdurrazaq(m): 9:13am On Nov 12, 2008
[size=15pt]R.I.P[/size] cry sad

(1) (Reply)

{direct Download} Jay-z Blueprint 2: The Gift And The Curse Full. / Download Full Album: Vector – Lafiaji (download) / Celine Dion Or Mariah Carey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.