Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,796 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Dallas Ebola Patient Dies - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dallas Ebola Patient Dies (713 Views)

Texas Ebola Patient Dies / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion) / Kaduna’s ‘oldest Patient’ Dies After 43 Years In Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dallas Ebola Patient Dies by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2014
The man who brought Ebola to the United States from West Africa died this morning in a Dallas hospital after fighting the deadly disease ten days after he was finally hospitalized.
Thomas Eric Duncan, whose health took a grave turn for the worse this weekend, succumbed to the virus at 7.51am at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, officials announced late this morning.
Duncan exposed nearly 50 people to the disease in America, including his fiancée Louise Troh and two of her children. They remain quarantined and under constant monitoring by health officials over fears that they, too, could develop symptoms during the disease's 21-day incubation period.
On Monday doctors began administering an experimental antiviral drug in the hopes that it could save his life, but he showed few signs of improvement.
His family said Tuesday that he was medically sedated and unresponsive when they tried to visit him at the hospital.
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital issued a statement that read: 'It is with profound sadness and heartfelt disappointment that we must inform you of the death of Thomas Eric Duncan this morning at 7.51am. Mr. Duncan succumbed to an insidious disease, Ebola.
'He fought courageously in this battle. Our professionals, the doctors and nurses in the unit, as well as the entire Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas community, are also grieving his passing. We have offered the family our support and condolences at this difficult time.'
Texas health officials must now dispose of Duncan's body, which still harbors the disease. Ebola spreads by having contact with the bodily fluids of an infected patient. Even getting sweat or blood on the skin can cause an infection.
Guidance that the Centers for Disease Control issued to hospitals on the disposal of dead Ebola patients calls for Duncan's body to be immediately wrapped in a plastic shroud and zipped up in two leak-proof body bags - with his medical lines and tubes still attached.
His remains will then be shipped to the Dallas County morgue, where his body will either be cremated or buried in a hermetically-sealed casket.
Officials recommend no autopsy or embalming, for fear that unnecessary contact with the remains could spread the infection.
Thomas Eric Duncan apologized to his fiancée after doctors told him he had the deadly disease and told her he would have rather died in Liberia than put her at risk, a family friend has said.
'He apologized to Louise the day they told him what he had. He told her, "I’m so sorry all of this is happening. I would not put the love of my life in danger,'" Saymendy Lloyd told the Washington Post.
Duncan's family are now saying that he had no idea he had been exposed to Ebola when he boarded a plane in Liberia, bound for the United States. It has been previously reported that Duncan helped care for a pregnant woman who later died of the disease in Monrovia, Liberia. However, he later told those close to him that he thought she was suffering complications from the pregnancy and had no idea she was infected with Ebola.
Duncan told Louise Troh, whom he came to the United States to marry, that he 'would have preferred to stay in Liberia and died than bring this disease to you,' Mr Lloyd told the Post.
Liberia authorities have accused Duncan of lying on an airport screening form before flying out of Monrovia last month and claiming he had no contact with Ebola victims. The Dallas County prosecutor also announced this week Duncan could face criminal charges if he knew he had Ebola and exposed people to the disease anyway.
Ten people, including seven healthcare workers and three family members, are considered at high risk for Ebola after they were exposed to Duncan after he became contagious. Another 38 more are being monitors by the CDC for possible risk of the disease.
Duncan's fiance Louise Troh, who is perhaps highest at risk of catching the disease after she cared for him at her Dallas apartment while he sweated and vomited through the early staged of the disease, says she does not blame him for possibly exposing her.
She told WFAA-TVthat she just wanted him to get better so that he can return to her. The couple, who met in a refugee camp in the Ivory Coast, have a 19-year-old son Kasiah together who is currently in college.
'I'm just praying to God that he gets better. He's a generous guy, and I'm just so sad. He just came to America and just got so sick, and just went down just in a second,' she told the TV station.
'I feel so sad. I'm confused, and really disturbed. I don't know. I'm just praying to God so he can wake up and for him to be able to see his children and be able to come back to his family.'
Kasiah Duncan, a student at Angelo State University, arrived in Dallas to visit his father for the first time.
'I hope and keep praying that my family is OK — and that my dad makes it out safely,' Kasiah said.
The college student spoke briefly and softly to reporters at Wilshire Baptist Church in Dallas, which has a large Liberian community.
'Thank you church for all the good things you've been doing for my mom, the support given to my family,' Kasiah said. 'Thanks to the hospital for their work in trying to help my dad stay alive.'
Kasiah's mother, Ms Troh, remains in quarantine after she had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan. Troh left Liberia more than a decade ago after a falling out with Duncan — but the two renewed their relationship earlier this year.

Pictures:
1. The Late Thomas E. Duncan.
2. His Mother.. Duncan's mother, Nowai Korkoya, traveled some 15 hours to pray near the hospital where her son remained and eventually died in isolation.
3. His Mother & Reverend Jesse Jackson.
4. His Son.. Kasiah

Re: Dallas Ebola Patient Dies by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 08, 2014
Oh my gosh! sad

(1) (Reply)

Improve Your Digestion And Metabolism / The Health Benefits Of Alcohol / 17 Best Benefits And Uses Of Noni For Skin, Hair And Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.