Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... (882 Views)

Nigeria Legends Discussion Thread (share Your Views) / Ghana Dominates Caf Football Of The Year Awards List / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by jnrbayano(m): 11:31pm On Oct 08, 2014
Like I normally say, I am a sport lover in general, football lover in particular, I would want us to discuss football, football of yesteryears..

Actually, this is an off topic discussion thread but under the confines of football and its activities on and off the field...

I started watching football very early in life. I have many memories and I believe there are plenty of guys here who are similar.

I feel very nostalgic seeing players who have retired, especially great players. The other time I saw Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on the TV and I recalled him in both Chelsea and Middlesbrough colours, a guy who nearly ripped the net open with his fierce shot.

We can discuss anything so far its football related, things like George Finidi's wonder strike against Bayern Munich in the Ajax vs Bayern Munich semi-finals in the 1994/95 Champions league season, if I can still recall clearly....

Genaro Gattuso wildly celebrating a victory with his coach Carlo Ancelotti in AC Milan, he almost broke his coach's neck bone in the process. Funny!! cheesy

Etc etc...

This thread is to give Cristiano Ronaldo/Lionel Messi debate a little break cool

Common guys, if you feel like I'm feeling, let's make it fun....
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by Erikthered: 6:15pm On Oct 09, 2014
Nice thread, hope guys will come in to make it fun.

Who remembers a match Jay Jay Okocha destroyed Oliver Kahn with is bag of tricks and went on to score? Memories!

cheesy
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by jnrbayano(m): 7:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
Erikthered:
Nice thread, hope guys will come in to make it fun.

Who remembers a match Jay Jay Okocha destroyed Oliver Kahn with is bag of tricks and went on to score? Memories!

cheesy

cheesy

Yes I do. Okocha was playing for Eintracht Frankfurt and Kahn was playing for FC Koln....

cheesy
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by jnrbayano(m): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2014
Who remembers Ghana/Nigeria 2000? In the finals of that ill-fated Cup of Nation between Nigeria and Cameroon that took place in Lagos, Victor Ikpeba's Penalty kick hit the crossbar and the ball bounced over the goal line and out. He thought he missed and held his head with his hands in disappointment but he actually scored.

The referee disallowed the goal and that was decisive giving Cameroon undeserved victory in our backyard.

I was pained!!
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by chiefololade: 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
Lilian Thuram's two goals against Croatia at France 98' world cup semi final
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by jnrbayano(m): 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2014
chiefololade:
Lilian Thuram's two goals against Croatia at France 98' world cup semi final

Yes I do remember.

When it seemed the game has got nil-nil written all over it, Liliam Thuram the Right fullback, the unlikeliest of all sources, popped up with two priceless goals.

Prior to those goals, I can't recall Liliam Thuram ever scoring any goals for club and country.

smiley
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by habiolah(m): 9:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
U S A 94: Baggio's magic against the super eagles when second round match was almost over. I remember the details only vaguely though; but I can clearly remember that I cried a river.

The other time I cried was Ikpeba's penalty already mentioned above; as I dey watch Sunday Oliseh's large mouth, na hin me sef dey cry.
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by jnrbayano(m): 9:19pm On Oct 10, 2014
habiolah:
U S A 94: Baggio's magic against the super eagles when second round match was almost over. I remember the details only vaguely though; but I can clearly remember that I cried a river.

The other time I cried was Ikpeba's penalty already mentioned above; as I dey watch Sunday Oliseh's large mouth, na hin me sef dey cry.

cheesy

Your cry no even reach mine for that Roberto Baggio's magic...

The Super Eagles couldn't see that game out given the fact that Italy completed that game only with 10men with Gianfranco Zola sent off for a retaliation foul on Augustine Eguavoen.

Again I was pained.
Re: Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... by jnrbayano(m): 7:52pm On Nov 11, 2014
jnrbayano:
Like I normally say, I am a sport lover in general, football lover in particular, I would want us to discuss football, football of yesteryears..

Actually, this is an off topic discussion thread but under the confines of football and its activities on and off the field...

I started watching football very early in life. I have many memories and I believe there are plenty of guys here who are similar.

I feel very nostalgic seeing players who have retired, especially great players. The other time I saw Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on the TV and I recalled him in both Chelsea and Middlesbrough colours, a guy who nearly ripped the net open with his fierce shot.

We can discuss anything so far its football related, things like George Finidi's wonder strike against Bayern Munich in the Ajax vs Bayern Munich semi-finals in the 1994/95 Champions league season, if I can still recall clearly....

Genaro Gattuso wildly celebrating a victory with his coach Carlo Ancelotti in AC Milan, he almost broke his coach's neck bone in the process. Funny!! cheesy

Etc etc...

This thread is to give Cristiano Ronaldo/Lionel Messi debate a little break cool

Common guys, if you feel like I'm feeling, let's make it fun....

(1) (Reply)

AWC Final: Nigeria Vs Caleroon LIVE / Soccer Age Cheat Saga, "I'm 20 Not 23"-emem Eduok. / Enyeama Makes Top 100 Footballers 2014, Top 5 Goalkeepers 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.