Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm (18632 Views)

Anybody With Info On Egusi (melon) Farming? / Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now / Water Melon Farming ( A Money Spinner) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 1:24am On Oct 09, 2014
Egusi (often referred to as melon) is a protein-rich seeds of certain cucurbitaceous (squash, melon, gourd) plants (www.wikipedia.com/egusi). It is a cover crop usually used in making soup (egusi) and host of other delicacies.
".In Nigeria, egusi is very popular among the Igbo people of southeastern Nigeria, the Ibibio people and the Efik people (Calabar people) of Southern Nigeria, the Hausa of northern Nigeria and the Yoruba people, Edo people, Esan people, and Etsako people of the (southsouth and) southwest of Nigeria. Yoruba people in general and quite notably the people of Ọsun State – especially the Ijesha people – eat ‘Iyan and Egusi’, a pounded yam and egusi soup. " (www.wikipedia.com/egusi).

I am not an agriculturist but I love adventure. I bought 2 plots of land. One is under construction (I stopped that for now) because no money for now. Because of the encouragement I got from Nairaland agric section, I decided to use the other plot for agriculture (crop farming). I wan dey form agriculturist! Lol! This I did having conducted small research from the local farmers.
As from tomorrow, I will be briefing u step by step on the egusi farming (adventure) live from my ogbonge farm . I intend to intercrop with cassava. Stay tuned.
Note: all d pix no be my property o. I got them from www.wikipedia.com/egusi. Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by EpicNigerian(m): 1:29am On Oct 09, 2014
This would be instresting.I'm following.

Please add pictures where necessary.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 09, 2014
EpicNigerian:
This would be instresting.I'm following.

Please add pictures where necessary.
OK dear. Trust me. I will do that.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Pavore9: 7:05am On Oct 09, 2014
l will be following..
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 09, 2014
Updates... Loading
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by christian11(m): 9:35pm On Oct 09, 2014
Following, I've been thinking about this 4 long and it's funny there is no thread in naira land about this.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 10, 2014
I have been trying to upload pictures since yesterday without success. Please bear with me. Meanwhile, I'll 'drop' this intro':

Like I said b4, I am not an agriculturist but an adventurer. Maybe we can 'coin out' another term from this- perhaps "agroadventure'. lol.
Back to business.
I bought 2 plots of land to start a kind of mini farm settlement as a self-employed graduate. I had the intention of doing the following with the land:
1. build a room and parlour self-contained on half plot of land and construct pig pen on the other half leaving a full plot vacant for possible pen construction in the future.
2. If the plan does not materialise, I intend to convert the pen to building and rent it out (Face me and face u tins or with little adjustment to make it self-contained).
Here is a pix of the farmland.

1 Share

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
the proposed room & parlour self-contained
under construction:

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 10, 2014
The proposed 10-room pig pen under construction:

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 10, 2014
My Nairaland agric section-inspired Ogbonge farm:

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 10, 2014
Having given you the background of my adventurous ogbonge farm, now is the time to let you know about the findings of the little research (or do I say enquiries) that I conducted among the local farmers on egusi farming and intercropping with cassava. Who says our local farmers are not knowledgeable?! Watchout for updates.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 6:13am On Oct 11, 2014
My findings from the local farmer:

1. That egusi (melon) is planted in the form of the first picture in my post (i.e. without being shelled or removed from its shell).

2. That it is planted just like maize (i.e. 3 or 4 seeds per hole)

3. Planted about 2 cm deep in a well-drained loamy or slightly clayed soil

4. That it starts to germinate noticeably within 3-4 days after planting.

5. That in the case of intercropping with cassava, either of the two crops can be planted first

6. That, in planting the egusi, care must be taken to avoid leaving remnats of the seeds on the farm. They warn that if this is done, it can attract birds and rodents to the farm that could uproot and eat the planted seeds.

7. That egusi is ideally planted on 2m spacing interval.

8. In the case of intercropping, one crop should be allowed to grow first before planting the other. Perhaps so that one does not plant the two crops too close eachother.

9. That egusi matures within 4 months after planting.

10. That egusi needs no nursery and transplanting. i.e. it is usually planted directly on the farm (preferably ridges).

I followed the information religiously. Here is my result day 6 after planting. I planted the egusi first.
My reason: I need to take full advantage of the remaining rain for the melon because it appears to me that cassava is more rugged and can withstand drought than melon. (Disclaimer, this may not be factual o. It's just my layman's thinking which might not be correct or better put 'an hypothesis'.

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Kalusam(m): 11:15am On Oct 11, 2014
From the pictures, the sol in this area is wonderful and good to grow both Egusi and Cassava. Am indeed delighted seeing some Agventurer on NL. Melon is a good intercrop for Cassava as it helps in controlling weed! Keep it up.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kalusam:
From the pictures, the sol in this area is wonderful and good to grow both Egusi and Cassava. Am indeed delighted seeing some Agventurer on NL. Melon is a good intercrop for Cassava as it helps in controlling weed! Keep it up.

Really? Thank you for the contributions. I'm loving the growth of my egusi. Nature is really wonderful! It's already 6 days old today. I will be planting the cassava soon. I hope to be abe to share the products of my ongbonge farm with Nairalanders. Just wish me well.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by christian11(m): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2014
That spacing to me doesn't look like 2m. Do u mean 2ft, because for me, I think 2m spacing s too much, and plz do u use any hybrid for planting, finally what will the yield be like, like how many cups can one be expecting for one plot/hectare?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by christian11(m): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2014
That spacing to me doesn't look like 2m. Do u mean 2ft, because for me, I think 2m spacing s too much, and plz do u use any hybrid for planting, finally what will the yield be like, like how many cups/bags/modules can one be expecting for one plot/hectare?
Thanks
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Longfellow: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
Is this the right time for planting egusi?
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:18pm On Oct 12, 2014
Nice one there.
The season for Cassava planting is fast going.
Luckily,you are planting on 2 plot of land (which can take 30-45 minute with one man labour) and also the good weather this year have beat all expectation which might allow you to.beat the season.
Anyway,i wish you goodluck in your adventure.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by samchide(m): 9:27am On Oct 20, 2014
We sale,supply soya beans,Groundnut and Egusi in large Quantity our product is the best our farmers are well trained in planting and harvesting of Egusi melon Soya beans and Groundnuts we have farms in various part of the northern state Nigeria.

for your Affordable, well harvested EGUSI SEEDS, GROUNDNUT AND SOYA BEANS CALL NOW AND MAKE YOUR PURCHASE 08036028085 thanks and God Bless you
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by melifew213(m): 4:19pm On Mar 10, 2015
Nice work there. How was ur yield. How did u process and what was the market like?
obasy09:
My findings from the local farmer:

1. That egusi (melon) is planted in the form of the first picture in my post (i.e. without being shelled or removed from its shell).

2. That it is planted just like maize (i.e. 3 or 4 seeds per hole)

3. Planted about 2 cm deep in a well-drained loamy or slightly clayed soil

4. That it starts to germinate noticeably within 3-4 days after planting.

5. That in the case of intercropping with cassava, either of the two crops can be planted first

6. That, in planting the egusi, care must be taken to avoid leaving remnats of the seeds on the farm. They warn that if this is done, it can attract birds and rodents to the farm that could uproot and eat the planted seeds.

7. That egusi is ideally planted on 2m spacing interval.

8. In the case of intercropping, one crop should be allowed to grow first before planting the other. Perhaps so that one does not plant the two crops too close eachother.

9. That egusi matures within 4 months after planting.

10. That egusi needs no nursery and transplanting. i.e. it is usually planted directly on the farm (preferably ridges).

I followed the information religiously. Here is my result day 6 after planting. I planted the egusi first.
My reason: I need to take full advantage of the remaining rain for the melon because it appears to me that cassava is more rugged and can withstand drought than melon. (Disclaimer, this may not be factual o. It's just my layman's thinking which might not be correct or better put 'an hypothesis'.

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by ptoall1000: 6:35pm On Apr 12, 2015
Hello Op, you have not given us update on ur farm.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Denn(m): 7:52am On Apr 13, 2015
Good job bro

Just a little piece of advice to anyone planning on planting egusi or water melon, both crops should not be planted close to each other .

Egusi belongs to the same lineage as water melon and both cross pollinate....resulting in bitter water melon.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by pleasureosondu(m): 8:45am On May 01, 2016
@obasy, are u still in biz? am asking cos i intend planting in june. What were ur challenges and advantages, in particular during planting? Did u form ridges,were d plants hybrids? Bros,abeg reply
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 01, 2016
pleasureosondu:
@obasy, are u still in biz? am asking cos i intend planting in june. What were ur challenges and advantages, in particular during planting? Did u form ridges,were d plants hybrids? Bros,abeg reply
Egusi doesn't do well when the rainfall is heavy hence thinking of June planting is not advisable. you plant egusi with the first rain, ideally when the rains are starting.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by pleasureosondu(m): 9:55am On May 02, 2016
GennyO:

Egusi doesn't do well when the rainfall is heavy hence thinking of June planting is not advisable. you plant egusi with the first rain, ideally when the rains are starting.
Thanks. Please, a 2nd question. Will i need to create ridges as i intend 2 plant with plantain? It's quite a large place.
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 30, 2016
Apology for being away for a long time. I have been extremely busy. Well, I experienced crop failure. I suspected the rain that stopped few weeks after the planting. Lost the investment on the crop. I however gain valuable experience.

I am planning to go into duck production, yes, the traditional ones. Still doing feasibility study particularly market research. Will update u
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by pleasureosondu(m): 2:15pm On Jun 03, 2016
Thanks.xpecting ur updates
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by SlyIg(f): 8:05pm On Jun 11, 2016
obasy09:
Apology for being away for a long time. I have been extremely busy. Well, I experienced crop failure. I suspected the rain that stopped few weeks after the planting. Lost the investment on the crop. I however gain valuable experience.

I am planning to go into duck production, yes, the traditional ones. Still doing feasibility study particularly market research. Will update u
Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by Olayimikami: 10:11am On Sep 08, 2016
SlyIg:

I want to ask please, when next can melon be planted. Is there any late planting season for it?

Ideally, planting should be done in April/May

1 Like

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by eleazarkenneth(m): 7:13pm On Apr 23, 2017
melon farmers can we meet here to share information and knowledge

Re: Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm by ufumes(m): 3:32pm On Jun 22, 2017
Pls has other people really confirmed the June /july planting time for egusi or water melon?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have 1million And I Want To Invest In Agricultural Farm Within Ondo State / Lagos Empowers 190 Youths, Women In Fish Cage Culture / Pawpaw Hybrid Seed For Planting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.