Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? (1964 Views)

I Want To Study Abroad.., But It's All So Confusing / NECO Result Not Printed: Pls Help So I Dont Get Rusticated! / Seun! Mods! Nlders, Pls Help So I Dont Get Rusticated! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 7:41am On Oct 09, 2014
In a very dark cupboard there is a heap of twenty socks, all of the same size, ten of which are grey and ten blue. How many socks must you pick up in order to make sure that you obtain a pair of the same colour? Over to you priscaoge,misbery...,olu...,yinkarh, and those who av guts. prof mizmycoli and benromeo am waiting o
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by franklyn009(m): 7:46am On Oct 09, 2014
10.....tho I don't rily understand d question
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by priscaoge(f): 7:53am On Oct 09, 2014
Lol... My dear just pick 10socks each from the colors. Pick 10grey and 10blue and make sure they are ur size oooh cheesy grin cheesy
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by despeakableme: 8:04am On Oct 09, 2014
This is someone's mathematics assignment. Probability. U must pick 1 in order.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by JayEye(m): 8:49am On Oct 09, 2014
To ensure that they are of the same colour,

You simply pick three socks because a colour would appear twice and the other will appear once, thereby getting a pair of the same colour.

It will be three times.
It can't be two because you may pick two socks of different colours.
So its three socks. smiley

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 09, 2014
ogaofficer:
In a very dark cupboard there is a heap of twenty socks, all of the same size, ten of which are grey and ten blue. How many socks must you pick up in order to make sure that you obtain a pair of the same colour? Over to you priscaoge,misbery...,olu...,yinkarh, and those who av guts. prof mizmycoli and benromeo am waiting o
very simple, you have to pick at least 11. The first 10 could be the same color.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 12:15pm On Oct 09, 2014
benromeo39:
very simple, you have to pick at least 11. The first 10 could be the same color.
wrong wrong. Btwn hw you dey take pass your sch. Exam sef? Read the question carefully and make sure you understand each word.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 12:17pm On Oct 09, 2014
JayEye:

You simply pick three socks because a colour would appear twice and the other will appear once, thereby getting a pair of the same colour.

It will be three times.
bros you wrong on the wrong path.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 12:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
despeakableme:
This is someone's mathematics assignment. Probability. U must pick 1 in order.
wrong
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 12:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
priscaoge:
Lol... My dear just pick 10socks each from the colors. Pick 10grey and 10blue and make sure they are ur size oooh cheesy grin cheesy
i can see the answer here in your post, all you need is a step and i will transact the ten miller to your acct.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
Rephrase the question then.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by JayEye(m): 12:29pm On Oct 09, 2014
ogaofficer:
bros you wrong on the wrong path.

Well na the way i understand the english. embarassed
Abeg come drop your 'right path'.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 12:34pm On Oct 09, 2014
JayEye:

bros nor vex, na the left path dey here grin
JayEye:

bros nor vex, na the left path dey here
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
benromeo39:
Rephrase the question then.
NOTE THE WORDS IN CAPITAL LETTERS: all i nid is HOW MANY SOCKS must i pick to obtain A PAIR of the same colour?
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by franklyn009(m): 12:48pm On Oct 09, 2014
JayEye:

It will be three times.
his answer is d most reasonable n logical answer to d question if u reason it from his point of view.
1. u said a dark cupboard: meaning u don't know which is grey or blue.
2. u said how socks must b picked in order to obtain 'a pair of sock': if I still know my English, a pair means 2 identical sock. therefore d maximum nô of sock to pick to obtain 'a pair' would b 3. which might b 2 blue n 1grey or 2 grey n 1 blue or 3 grey or 3 blue.

my opinion tho
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by JayEye(m): 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
franklyn009:

his answer is d most reasonable n logical answer to d question if u reason it from his point of view.
1. u said a dark cupboard: meaning u don't know which is grey or blue.
2. u said how socks must b picked in order to obtain 'a pair of sock': if I still know my English, a pair means 2 identical sock. therefore d maximum nô of sock to pick to obtain 'a pair' would b 3. which might b 2 blue n 1grey or 2 grey n 1 blue or 3 grey or 3 blue.

my opinion tho

Thank God someone is reasoning in my direction !

Modified
Wait, checking again ..the op is asking for pair of the same colors..that is four colours..two each of the same colour.

Using this reasoning..
The answer is 5..
Working is quite complicated.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 2:26pm On Oct 09, 2014
JayEye:

Thank God someone is reasoning in my direction !

Modified
Wait, checking again ..the op is asking for pair of the same colors..that is four colours..two each of the same colour.

THE ANSWER IS four JAWE.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 09, 2014
3. Since there are 2 colours if u pick 3 socks, there will definitely be 2 of the same colour
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2014
Zedric:
3. Since there are 2 colours if u pick 3 socks, there will definitely be 2 of the same colour
with your explanation how do i get a PAIR of the same color?
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by destino24(m): 2:57pm On Oct 09, 2014
it just has to be 3. once you pick 3 socks, at least 2 must have the same color (remember there are only 2 variants)

It would have been 11 if you were talking of a pair of different colors (1 grey and 1 blue)
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by JayEye(m): 3:03pm On Oct 09, 2014
ogaofficer:
THE ANSWER IS four JAWE.

Seriously??

You said four..

What if you pick
Blue
Blue
Blue
Grey

Where is the pair of the same colours then
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by generalia: 3:24pm On Oct 09, 2014
you will have to pick all which is 20
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by franklyn009(m): 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2014
ogaofficer:
THE ANSWER IS four JAWE.
the main ISH here is probably understanding the situation ( question).
can u do a little explanation here
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2014
generalia:
you will have to pick all which is 20
TANKS BRO, those guys up there were the one confusing me, that was my first answer which i was expecting priscaoge to tell me by adding the 10+10 Together, bt immediately i saw A PAIR of the SAME COLOUR. then i arrived at four.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by priscaoge(f): 10:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
ogaofficer:
TANKS BRO, those guys up there were the one confusing me, that was my first answer which i was expecting priscaoge to tell me by adding the 10+10 Together, bt immediately i saw A PAIR of the SAME COLOUR. then i arrived at four.

So because I no begin solve that mathematics, u denied me of my award abi angry angry angry

Kontunu! undecided

2 Likes

Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2014
franklyn009:

the main ISH here is probably understanding the situation ( question).
can u do a little explanation here
sir we all knw what a pair is 2 blue socks will make a pair and another 2 grey socks will also make a pair. NOTE: Both pair are diff colours, but each pair are the same colour. By your own logic if i pick a pair of blue and 1 grey does that grey represents a pair?
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 10:33pm On Oct 09, 2014
JayEye:

Seriously??

You said four..

What if you pick
Blue
Blue
Blue
Grey

Where is the pair of the same colours then
blue blue grey grey
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by JayEye(m): 10:44pm On Oct 09, 2014
ogaofficer:
blue blue grey grey

Your answer does not hold in all circumstance meaning its wrong.

You would have to pick five so as no matter the case, there is a pair of the same colours
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 11:00pm On Oct 09, 2014
JayEye:

Your answer does not hold in all circumstance meaning its wrong.

You would have to pick five so as no matter the case, there is a pair of the same colours
hmmmn it seems i can begin to see what you are saying. But in other word by picking four am i not picking A PAIR OF THE SAME COLOUR OR AM PICKING A PAIR OF DIFFERENT COLOUR?
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by franklyn009(m): 12:07am On Oct 10, 2014
ogaofficer:
hmmmn it seems i can begin to see what you are saying. But in other word by picking four am i not picking A PAIR OF THE SAME COLOUR OR AM PICKING A PAIR OF DIFFERENT COLOUR?
its seem u too don't know d final answer.

I still stand on 3, cos d question said "a very dark cupboard" and all he wants is a pair of sock n he don't know wat colour of sock he would pick whenever he puts his hands in d cupboard...........so definitely after picking 3times, he must have a pair of sock.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by ogaofficer(m): 10:06am On Oct 10, 2014
franklyn009:

its seem u too don't know d final answer.

I still stand on 3, cos d question said "a very dark cupboard" and all he wants is a pair of sock n he don't know wat colour of sock he would pick whenever he puts his hands in d cupboard...........so definitely after picking 3times, he must have a pair of sock.
Re: HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? by QSheba: 10:42am On Oct 10, 2014
3 its probability

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr Grigori Perelman : World Cleverest Man Turns Down Offer. / 10 Things To Make You More Intelligent / Unizik's 2016/2017 Admission List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.