Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,342 members, 7,954,398 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:06 PM

Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record (660 Views)

Human-like Species Discovered In South Africa (Photos) / New Feather Dinosaurs Discovered In China / 2013 Nobel Prize Winners: Physicists Who Discovered The "God Particle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 09, 2014
Remember NuSTAR, the specialized space telescope NASAdesigned specifically to study black holes? It just found something much, much brighter. Astronomers at NASA have stumbled upon what appears to be the most luminous pulsar ever discovered, but they almost mistook it for a black hole. After measuring the dead star's output, they found it was outputting as much energy as 10 million suns -- shockingly powerful, considering how much smaller it is than our own star. Astronomers aren't sure why the pulsar is so bright, but will continue to study in hopes of learning how common or uncommon this kind of pulsar is. The discovery kind of shakes up what theorist knew about black holes and ultraluminous x-rays, underlining how little we really know about the universe out there.
“You might think of this pulsar as the ‘Mighty Mouse’ of stellar remnants,” said Fiona Harrison, the NuSTAR principal investigator at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California, in a NASA releaseabout the pulsar. “It has all the power of a black hole, but with much less mass.”
read here

2 Likes

Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by kishimi8(m): 6:52pm On Oct 12, 2014
Interesting . I wonder if OP is actually a lady cuz most naija ladies don't read. Endgadget and. Cracked.com, OP next na dorkly.com or slashdot.com stuff remain
Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
kishimi8:
Interesting . I wonder if OP is actually a lady cuz most naija ladies don't read. Endgadget and. Cracked.com, OP next na dorkly.com or slashdot.com stuff remain
Science was my field of specialization both in high school and university...so the fact that most ladies don't care about science and technology doesn't mean I don't. At least you should even compliment me for engadging in science and technology rather that discriminate or discourage me. Just get that upfront and keep off if u don't have anything good to contribute.

1 Like

Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
kishimi8:

Oh I sensed as much. Explains everything.

Case closed. Thanks.
Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by kishimi8(m): 8:38pm On Oct 12, 2014
Arva:

Science was my field of specialization both in high school and university...so the fact that most ladies don't care about science and technology doesn't mean I don't. At least you should even compliment me for engadging in science and technology rather that discriminate or discourage me. Just get that upfront and keep off if u don't have anything good to contribute.

Awww don't misinterpret my post I said I wondered if the OP was a lady . It was just surprising to have a lady that visit sites nerds and dorks frequent, I never meant to be negative. Sorry
Re: Astronomers Accidentally Discovered The Brightest Pulsar On Record by sparkleboy(m): 6:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
Is this true?

(1) (Reply)

Schneider Electric Introduces Innovative Solar Streetlights / America's Internet Is As Worse Than You Thought / 10 Reasons Why You Need To Embrace Internet Banking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.