Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 (1629 Views)

Check Sign On Camry Dashboard / . / Freelander On Camry Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by doubleroti: 12:23pm On Oct 09, 2014
Hello Gents,

May I kindly solicit your assistance with regards to a vehicle I bought in April 2013.

I bought the Camry 07 after running a VIN Check on it and it came with a clean title, It had actually spent only 2 months in Nigeria at my time of purchase.

I noticed after a few months that the engine oil gets short after a couple of months depending on usage, I made enquiries and was told of several causes but was reluctant to have the engine opened.

Fast forward 15-18 months after purchase, issue persists, a small noise from the engine when running while parked. There was also a period 4 months ago when one of the plugs refuses to fire, this has since stopped though.

My question is what do I do? Some mechanics have offered to "ring" for 60k-90k, while another engine is quoted at 200k to 220k which is a lot for me right now. Engine runs quite fine actually and does not smoke, aside from when parked for a few days and smoke just last a minute or so.

Please do advise on best way out of this situation. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

PS. I work on the island and stay on the mainland, I do 3MB daily and need a very dependable car for my commute.

Cheers
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by icemann(m): 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
Is the check engine light on?
If so do a scan and post the results.
3 MB daily? If you are talking about video games or data use, I think you are in the wrong forum.
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by doubleroti: 12:54pm On Oct 09, 2014
@ iceman, Thanks for your feedback. I meant Third Mainland Bridge by "3MB" hence my concerns.

Nope the "check engine" light isn't on.

Cheers
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 09, 2014
3MB means 3rd mainland bridge
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by Cruisez: 5:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
This is a common problem with 07 Camry. Run a search online to confirm this. Check sites like toyota nation, car complaint etc You will not be doing your car any good handing it over to a mechanic.
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by bravolad(m): 7:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
Available research shows that the 2007 Toyota Camry records engine and tranny failure after a few thousand miles irrespective of engine oil and ATF. On different car fora, I have read about frustrations of owners even in the United States about engine and transmission failures. However, some other owners have amassed hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Please note that this problem is not Nigeria soecific but a global phenomenon.

I have also read about engine rebuild and how well it restores the engine. In this forum for instance, Siena has constantly emphasized the benefits of a rebuilt engine where guarantees are given for upto 3 years or a certain mileage. In Nigeria however, I do not believe such expertise exists. Although it is more expensive to rebuild an engine or a transmission. I would advise you run a scan, if nothing is discovered, use it till such a time your are unable to manage it and replace the engine.

Most of the established mechanic workshops including dealerships engage in engine replacement rather than rebuild.
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 09, 2014
Hope you are not waiting for us to tell you to run a scan
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by doubleroti: 1:50pm On Oct 10, 2014
@ Bravolad,

Many thanks for your insightful and detailed information. I have read a lot of US owners complain of the same issue as well. I will run the scan as advised and take things from there.

I am tilting towards using the car until it has to be changed rather than rebuild. Out of curiosity, I was thinking of changing the valve seals first and continue using until I change the engine, perhaps it will reduce the ridiculous oil consumption.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Re: Request For Expert Opinion On Camry 07 by Kashif(m): 7:25am On Nov 23, 2015
You sent me a message, but I can't find it.

(1) (Reply)

HELP! Advise needed on which car to pick / FG May Cut Car Import Tariff. / 2016 Range Rover Evoque Convertible Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.