Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,963 members, 7,821,383 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

The Mormon Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mormon Religion (5948 Views)

Comparison Grid: Roman Catholicism, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormon With Christianity / I'm A “MORMON" Ask Me Any Questions Let Me Clear You Doubt!! / Is the Mormon Church the Only True Church on Earth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 3:47pm On Sep 23, 2005
What have you heard about the book of Mormon? The church? (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter days saints) Their way of worship and the complicaton of the book with the Bible?

I really want to hear what you have to say, because these people are everywhere trying to convert Christans to Mormonism. They use Jesus as a cover up, the bible. Oh well I will stop here and maybe you should share what you know, what you have heard, and experiences you've had.
Re: The Mormon Religion by inyang(m): 4:07pm On Sep 23, 2005
Why dont you tell us what its all about? You can google, read up on them and pass the info to the rest of us?

Then we can join in the discussion.

Or walk up to them and ask, am sure they'll pass you some literature or something!
Re: The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 4:28pm On Sep 23, 2005
I know alot about them,i have experienced it,its like a cult group.I just want u all to make researches yourself and dont just take in what i have to say.its an assignment wink
Re: The Mormon Religion by vexxy(f): 4:33pm On Sep 23, 2005
Here's a site for those who are investigating the religion: http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm

I've heard that you cannot enter the temple and certain "elevations" within the temple unless you have an id card from them and you've taken classes for about a year.

There is a special under-garment that they are required to wear

Coffee is a sin

The founder is Joseph Smith who started the religion back in 1823

There's a lot to it but I never truly talk to them, I just say I'm not interested whenever they knock on my door.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 4:38pm On Sep 23, 2005
Oh welldone Vexxy,they Knocked on my door o and i feel into the deep pit well i am out of it now.
pls people take it easy cos this guys are very dangerous and are up to something.just check out this things yourself and let us hear what u 've got before i post my experience.
Re: The Mormon Religion by vexxy(f): 4:51pm On Sep 23, 2005
I am extremely interested in hearing of your time with them, Latoya. Don't keep me in suspense!

I've met a few ex Mormons and I've been slyly handed their "Awake!" magazine.

A few other things I've noticed:

They are all required to do a mission for 2 years
They use "Book of the Mormon" which is their supplemental to the Bible
They used to believe in polygamy but have since discontinued that practice
They believed that all "people of color" were evil. Thier dark skin meant that they were scared for life from a past sin
They only recently allowed African Americans become priests because of the above mentioned belief. I think the first African American priest was in the 1970's
Re: The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2005
Haha everything u said is true vexxy.I have the book of mormon which is a suppliment to the Bible.i wont keep u in suspence for long,i just want people to research.
and even the blacks were inferior to the whites until 1978 or there about
Re: The Mormon Religion by Ka: 7:46pm On Sep 23, 2005
I've met a few ex Mormons and I've been slyly handed their "Awake!" magazine.

Awake magazine? You're sure you're not confusing them with Jehovah's Witnesses?
Re: The Mormon Religion by vexxy(f): 8:24pm On Sep 23, 2005
You're right! I am. L.O.L.
Re: The Mormon Religion by hotangel2(f): 10:16pm On Sep 23, 2005
This is new! Mormon? I need to do some reasearches... but if wat i am reading here is wat they really believe in, i must say that's weird.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 2:12am On Sep 24, 2005
They are into more than just what u ve read here,that is y i want u all to make the research yourselves.
Re: The Mormon Religion by WesleyanA(f): 5:57am On Sep 24, 2005
i learned about them in History. a long time a go but i don't remember much. something about utah, mountains and brigham young as their leader.
Re: The Mormon Religion by c0dec(m): 11:56pm On Sep 25, 2005
i've got the book lying on the floor behind me. i just happened to be in a friend's house when they (2 of them) knocked on his door and hey they gave me a copy.

they seem like nice, harmless guys. they kept on emphasizing how the book of mormon is supplement to the gospel though. it seemed interesting but i just couldn't make much sense of it (as per it's relation to the gospel). it's more of an old testament book than anything.

cry
Re: The Mormon Religion by Bizkid(m): 3:38am On Sep 26, 2005
The Mormon church basically believes in the old prophets and new prophets! like their founders etc! they also believe in separate father, son and holy spirit - they don't believe in the trinity.

Though I have never been spoken to by any of their members, I only made researches into them this week having learnt that Gladys Knight is a member.

Be careful of the churches (cult) you mix with. Not everything you read is true. 1Thess5:21 Seek ye all facts and hold on to which is true.
Re: The Mormon Religion by donnie(m): 6:25pm On Sep 26, 2005
I do not know much about them...but i have seen some of their books. I must say her that they are very dubious. That book of Mormon is a complete fraud. They steal from the bible here and there and yet call the book they copied some other funny name.

I was told by someone who's studied them that by the time you become a member and grow in there, you come to a point where they tell you some strange things. Like:

Jesus and satan were actually brothers..but they had a misunderstanding. And that satan isnt that evil afterall.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 3:51am On Sep 27, 2005
Yea you're very right donnie.the Jesus and satan thing is true in the religion,they believe both of them are brothers.i will still put up my info. and experience just taking my time so i can hear from u all.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 11:26am On Sep 27, 2005
Let others face their own faith the way they want it. Please face your own
Re: The Mormon Religion by donnie(m): 12:23pm On Sep 27, 2005
There are no two ways to the father....Jesus is the only way. He is THE way, THE truth and[b] THE [/b] life. That is a definite article, "THE".
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 12:34pm On Sep 27, 2005
That is the only way known to you. So keep it. I hope you did not read your bible up-down, because others will not agree with you. Keep your aggression for nairaland do not belong to any church. What do you want the Muslims to say? Krishna etc.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Enigma(m): 1:07pm On Sep 27, 2005
There is actually another way to interpret the passage where Jesus said "I am the way .... no one comes to the Father except through Me." In fact many knowledgeable and spritual people (including Billy Graham and the current Archbishop of Canterbury) have either expressed this other view or made statements that seem to go along with it.

The interpretation is this: it does not mean that only the people that are "Christians" on this earth will reach the Father "through" Christ. Even "non-Christians" can make it "through" Christ and it is up to Him to decide who should make it to the Father "through" Him. We do not know and we cannot know what will happen to everyone else. What we can say as Christians is that according to our faith we have an assurance that Christ has opened the door for us. We Christians should get out of the arrogant attitude of condemning people of different faiths to "hell" presumptuously!
Re: The Mormon Religion by Latoya(f): 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2005
I agree with u Engima,the bible tells us not to judge that judgement is of the lord's so he decides who make it to heavean and who doesnt.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Farriel(m): 2:01pm On Sep 28, 2005
Hmm, an interesting twist there Latoya. If you do understand that people shouldn't judge, tell me, why then is this topic of the Mormon Religion discussed?
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2005
Latoya is right and intelligent . open to public and here is public with so many believes. Regards.
Re: The Mormon Religion by inyang(m): 2:28pm On Sep 28, 2005
thou shall not judge only applies to 'other people'.
strong religionist already KNOW and what they say is not judging since it is the absolute truth anyway.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 2:32pm On Sep 28, 2005
Meaning that....
Re: The Mormon Religion by donnie(m): 5:26pm On Sep 28, 2005
Acts 4:12-"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 8:07am On Sep 29, 2005
You are right but know that only those that does the will of God will make it to long for height. You look so young in your faith, read wide for you to understand. Stop playing politics in religion because it help no one. Respect others view. Jesus Christ never wrote a chapter of the bible yet Muslim acknowledge him in their holy book.
donnie:

Acts 4:12-"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
this refers to you that believe in what you read, and can not be forced on others that do no share your faith or read your bible.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 8:17am On Sep 29, 2005
The Act quoted by you is a record of witness in judaea and Samaria not Nigeria. The book is a continuation of the Gospel according to Luke, a story of Christian movement among Jewish people. It is a re assurance that Christianity is fulfillment of the Jewish religion. It does not warant this kind of fanantical postings.
Re: The Mormon Religion by adesodgi(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2005
Sorry o,this morm guys wot r they like cos av never come across one,pls tell me so i'll get to recognise them once i see thembefore they get to me.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Farriel(m): 10:21pm On Oct 07, 2005
And what's about them that you're so scared of, Adesodgi? I mean, wanting to recognize them before they get to you?
Re: The Mormon Religion by donnie(m): 8:21am On Oct 10, 2005
Mr HND,

Jesus died for the whole world and not just for christians. That is why we are preaching everywhere that they may hear the message of their salvation.

This is irrespective of government policies of religious differences. Jesus is Lord and some day, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is Lord. Muslims, jews, etheists, bushists...they will all bow and confess that jesus is Lord.

He will judge this world in righteousness...according to the Word of the prophets of the bible.

Jesus will rule this world when he comes (according to the scriptures.) The bible tells us that the government shall be upon His shoulders.
He wiil overthrow the kingdoms of men and establish his heavenly kingdom on the earth. And all thiose who did not accept him will suffer eternally. Does that mean anything to you?

Forget the laws and system that is operating now...they will be overthrown. The bible says Jesus will overthrow their kingdoms and rule this earth.

Preaach the gospel fearlessly, regardless...for those that are appointed to salvation will hear you and be saved.

You will never know the power of God and the miraculous until you are convinced that this gospel is God's only power to save anyone. That is one sure way of knowing thos who are full of God's Spirit...they are convinced about the gospel...enough to risk their lives for it.

-Rom 1:16,17
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, "He who through faith is righteous shall live."

They call us fanatics but we are not moved ...because the apostles suffered the same...they were killed, stoned and imprisoned for what they believed...but they rejoiced in hope of a heavenly kingdom.

The rapture is not for those who are light-hearted and who compromise their faith to suit others.

Did you call me childish? well see this...

Matthew 18:3 - "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

...this is the only way to seeing God's glory in your life...believe like a child.
Re: The Mormon Religion by Hndholder(m): 8:45am On Oct 10, 2005
Some people got it wrong. I pity them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sleeping Unclothed, It's Spiritual Implications / Christians,why Do You Always Ignore This Bible Verse / Is There Sharing In The Church Today Like The Early Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.